News Bulldogs set to seek salary cap relief for second time in three months

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury are likely to seek NRL salary cap relief for the second time in three months after Chris Smith suffered a serious knee injury in the All Stars pre-season match.

Scans have confirmed backrower Smith tore his MCL and partially tore his ACL after impressing early for the Indigenous All Stars in their loss to Maori All Stars on Saturday night, ruling him out for a large chunk of the season.

“We’re incredibly disappointed firstly for Chris,” Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill told AAP on Sunday afternoon.

Smith, 26, becomes the second Canterbury player looking at a long stint on the sidelines in 2020 after a serious injury incurred while playing for a representative team.

Star playmaker Kieran Foran underwent a shoulder reconstruction after getting hurt playing for New Zealand last November.

Under NRL rules, the Bulldogs will be given $350,000 salary cap relief for Foran’s injury despite the former Kiwi international earning roughly $1 million a year.

The development prompted Canterbury to call for a review into policy surrounding players injured during representative fixtures.

Hill put the issue on the agenda for clubs during a chief executives conference prior to the NRL Nines in Perth a fortnight ago.

The Smith blow will only strengthen their case.

It is understood clubs are asked to pick up the tab on both the injured and replacement player, while insurance doesn’t cover the entire calendar year.

There are also believed to be strict conditions around the salary cap relief, including the replacement being a like-for-like player.

Then there’s the added difficulty of finding a similar-calibre player, particularly in the case of Foran, at this time of the year.

It leaves Bulldogs coach Dean Pay, off-contract at the end of the year, without two players who were likely to form part of his starting 17.

“Clearly, after two long-term injuries from representative football, we want a discussion around what compensation and what protection there is for clubs who lose players for the season,” Hill said.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we got 350k cap relief for Foran who's worth a million per season, we'd be lucky if we got anything above $100 for Chris Smith.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bring Doorey/Kalache in!
Kalache definitely put his hand up the other day in PNG whilst the sooner we get Doorey settled in 1st grade the better we are off. In saying that I think Doorey needs a good stint in reggies whilst Kalache is ready for the step up.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If it was a star from one of the power clubs that tore their ACL, the rule would be changed on the spot.
They would be Mediclly retired and allowed to come back after june 30.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we got 350k cap relief for Foran who's worth a million per season, we'd be lucky if we got anything above $100 for Chris Smith.
Hey maybe Pay can use that hundgy at the local roaster to nab another player... Nothing like a cuppah over a meet and greet. Lol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The point about like-for-like players is quite good. Why is that a condition? Why can't clubs elect whether or not to get a replacement player who is in the same role or not? Obviously a fair bit of the time they probably will, as they will likely be short in that position, but why make it a condition? If the club wanted to get another prop to take Chris Smith's spot in the top 30, why shouldn't it?

In more recent times there seems to have become a greater focus on compartmentalising players into roles, but in reality many players play in various roles over their career, and though we talk about the spine roles, really good players dominate from their position on the field whether they are in the spine or not.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol we aren't signing anyone. Can we at the very least promote a youngster to the top squad?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol we aren't signing anyone. Can we at the very least promote a youngster to the top squad?
I dunno they said his injury was 12 weeks from today so Smith will be back before Round 12 you’d think?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The point about like-for-like players is quite good. Why is that a condition? Why can't clubs elect whether or not to get a replacement player who is in the same role or not? Obviously a fair bit of the time they probably will, as they will likely be short in that position, but why make it a condition? If the club wanted to get another prop to take Chris Smith's spot in the top 30, why shouldn't it?

In more recent times there seems to have become a greater focus on compartmentalising players into roles, but in reality many players play in various roles over their career, and though we talk about the spine roles, really good players dominate from their position on the field whether they are in the spine or not.
Well said.. The top 30 squad itself is so restrictive that every squad spot is valuable.

As you said, so many players these days can play multiple positions or some of them just float around without a traditional definitive position..

Smith himself could cover many positions as a utility. So to pigeon hole a player like him by calling him strictly a second rower doesn't allow that club to find a suitable utility replacement. Especially when we have enough depth in the forwards to not need to sign another second rower..

So the end result is you have compensation but you can't use it practically..

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It's really a pointless rule and I assume the NRL know it. As if your going to sign anyone "like for like". Didn't they say that the clubs agreed to this rule? Fukin dumb shits if they did!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
By the time the NRL sort out their shit on Smith it's probably seasons end.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kalache definitely put his hand up the other day in PNG whilst the sooner we get Doorey settled in 1st grade the better we are off. In saying that I think Doorey needs a good stint in reggies whilst Kalache is ready for the step up.
I mentioned kalache in a thread last week,and u told me,I knew nothing,u smell of hypocrisy

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely we can use these 2 lots of $$ to try to get jac this year

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I mentioned kalache in a thread last week,and u told me,I knew nothing,u smell of hypocrisy
Lol completely of out context.

I said he was nothing special and just because he went well against a Reggie's outfit doesn't mean his NRL standard though it was good to see he went well against reserve graders where as he struggled last yr and the only reason he may get a run is because of injuries.

The reason I said U had no idea was in regards to the fact U said I had a 10% approval rating where as agrees only came in a yr ago and I had already made numerous statements since 2011 so it's quite ummeasureable unless U count how many statements I have made since agrees were introduced. If U want to get a proper measurement it would be the fact I have around 50% in regards to posts and likes and considering I have made a fair few comments 50% ain't to bad considering dont mumble what people want to hear.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol completely of out context.

I said he was nothing special and just because he went well against a Reggie's outfit doesn't mean his NRL standard though it was good to see he went well against reserve graders where as he struggled last yr and the only reason he may get a run is because of injuries.

The reason I said U had no idea was in regards to the fact U said I had a 10% approval rating where as agrees only came in a yr ago and I had already made numerous statements since 2011 so it's quite ummeasureable unless U count how many statements I have made since agrees were introduced. If U want to get a proper measurement it would be the fact I have around 50% in regards to posts and likes and considering I have made a fair few comments 50% ain't to bad considering dont mumble what people want to hear.
Well my dicks bigger then both of yours. Lol

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep ive been saying for a while that kalache has alot of promise but some niff nuffs couldn’t see his potential as he wasn’t doing what payne hass does lol