Bulldogs rule out Kieran Foran and Des Hasler reunion

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Canterbury expect Kieran Foran to stay put and resist rejoining Des Hasler should the coach return to Manly.

Hasler is firming to take over from Trent Barrett, seven years after a bitter exit from the northern beaches, and was the man who helped deliver Foran to Belmore.

When talk first emerged Hasler's future at the Dogs was under threat before he had even arrived, Foran made a point of saying: "I'm coming back to Sydney first and foremost to be with my children but Des was a big reason, too.''

Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill told Fairfax Media any potential appointment of Hasler would have zero bearing on their $2.4 million playmaker, and there were no get-out clauses in his contract.

"It's something we have not even thought about and we won't deal in speculation,'' Hill said.

"Kieran is getting ready for his wedding and he's worked really hard the last three months recovering from a number of surgeries. He cannot wait to return to training on November 1.''

Manly have struggled to settle on a regular No. 6 to partner Daly Cherry-Evans, and it was Foran and Cherry-Evans who combined so well under Hasler to deliver their 2011 title.

Dylan Walker finished the season at five-eighth, while Kane Elgey has been signed from the Gold Coast.

The 57-year-old Hasler was axed by Canterbury last year before he took them to court, claiming he had already signed an extension. The coach and club settled out of court in May this year.

While Hasler signed a confidentiality clause, there was nothing preventing him from coaching a rival club.

He did leave the Dogs under a lot of salary-cap pressure, which forced them to cut big guns Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye mid-season, while the popular Morris twins will also line up elsewhere in 2019.

Given Hasler signed Foran on a whopping deal north of $3 million, the coach would actually be doing his former employer a favour – at least financially – if he took the Kiwi off Canterbury's hands.

Foran is expected to collect $1.2 million next season, which includes no third-party deals, making him one of the most expensive players in the competition.

Dogs fans can at least rest easy they have the impressive Lachlan Lewis and new Newcastle recruit Jack Cogger as halves options.

The main stumbling block for Manly will be their own embarrassing cap situation, with the penalties upheld by the NRL from previous breaches meaning they will have $330,000 to spend on their roster next year.

Sea Eagles boss Lyall Gorman told Fairfax Media on Friday night: "Des is in discussions along with several others, but there is still plenty of work to do there.''

A proper payout for Trent Barrett is yet to be determined.

Hasler is expected to get the nod ahead of current assistant John Cartwright and another Manly pin-up, Geoff Toovey.

Foran left Manly for brief stints at Parramatta and then the Warriors before Hasler reached out to him.

Injury again cruelled his maiden season in the blue and white, but a lengthy off-season and several surgeries have left him physically and mentally fresh and ready for a big year.

Because of his injuries, there is no way the Bulldogs would be able to medically retire Foran, which would allow them to exclude any payout from their cap.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...n-and-des-hasler-reunion-20181013-p509h6.html

Not sure what everyone else thoughts are BUT for me personally I would PAY Foran to join Hasbeen back at Manly!!! This way we can focus on Lewis and give a younger and hungry, less injury prone HB and 5/8 a chance for FG in 2019, not to mention on minimal wage!!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly wouldn’t be able to afford Foran on his current deal. Maybe the new admin have said after Woods and Mbye they won’t be paying part salaries for players to move on.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
name 1 player who has gone from great to bad to great in thier career

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt Foz would want to play with DCE anyway

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Canterbury expect Kieran Foran to stay put and resist rejoining Des Hasler should the coach return to Manly.

Hasler is firming to take over from Trent Barrett, seven years after a bitter exit from the northern beaches, and was the man who helped deliver Foran to Belmore.

When talk first emerged Hasler's future at the Dogs was under threat before he had even arrived, Foran made a point of saying: "I'm coming back to Sydney first and foremost to be with my children but Des was a big reason, too.''

Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill told Fairfax Media any potential appointment of Hasler would have zero bearing on their $2.4 million playmaker, and there were no get-out clauses in his contract.

"It's something we have not even thought about and we won't deal in speculation,'' Hill said.

"Kieran is getting ready for his wedding and he's worked really hard the last three months recovering from a number of surgeries. He cannot wait to return to training on November 1.''

Manly have struggled to settle on a regular No. 6 to partner Daly Cherry-Evans, and it was Foran and Cherry-Evans who combined so well under Hasler to deliver their 2011 title.

Dylan Walker finished the season at five-eighth, while Kane Elgey has been signed from the Gold Coast.

The 57-year-old Hasler was axed by Canterbury last year before he took them to court, claiming he had already signed an extension. The coach and club settled out of court in May this year.

While Hasler signed a confidentiality clause, there was nothing preventing him from coaching a rival club.

He did leave the Dogs under a lot of salary-cap pressure, which forced them to cut big guns Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye mid-season, while the popular Morris twins will also line up elsewhere in 2019.

Given Hasler signed Foran on a whopping deal north of $3 million, the coach would actually be doing his former employer a favour – at least financially – if he took the Kiwi off Canterbury's hands.

Foran is expected to collect $1.2 million next season, which includes no third-party deals, making him one of the most expensive players in the competition.

Dogs fans can at least rest easy they have the impressive Lachlan Lewis and new Newcastle recruit Jack Cogger as halves options.

The main stumbling block for Manly will be their own embarrassing cap situation, with the penalties upheld by the NRL from previous breaches meaning they will have $330,000 to spend on their roster next year.

Sea Eagles boss Lyall Gorman told Fairfax Media on Friday night: "Des is in discussions along with several others, but there is still plenty of work to do there.''

Hasler is expected to get the nod ahead of current assistant John Cartwright and another Manly pin-up, Geoff Toovey.

Foran left Manly for brief stints at Parramatta and then the Warriors before Hasler reached out to him.

Injury again cruelled his maiden season in the blue and white, but a lengthy off-season and several surgeries have left him physically and mentally fresh and ready for a big year.

Because of his injuries, there is no way the Bulldogs would be able to medically retire Foran, which would allow them to exclude any payout from their cap.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...n-and-des-hasler-reunion-20181013-p509h6.html

Not sure what everyone else thoughts are BUT for me personally I would PAY Foran to join Hasbeen back at Manly!!! This way we can focus on Lewis and give a younger and hungry, less injury prone HB and 5/8 a chance for FG in 2019, not to mention on minimal wage!!
Can't stand paying 1 cent for players to play for other clubs, however with Forans history at our club and the state of our club's cap if we can save half of what he is paid I'd be all for it.
I just have no confidence in Foran contributing anything worth while, and an extra $500,000-- $600,000 of cap space would help.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Nope, not for 1cent less than his current deal that Hasler gave him to play with us. That would be the ultimate fuk u, Hasler signs him on triple overs, Hasler destroys our club, get's a pay out then get's Foran back cheap after we pay $$$ to repair him and us picking up the freight..........you guys are kidding aren't you? I would rather Foran on 1.2 in reserve grade then to see Hasler fuk us again. One more injury and surely we medically retire him anyways.

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hopefully Des actively pursues Foran as the money can be better spent elsewhere.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be stupid if management were to not silently suggest he look elsewhere or make a decent attempt at medically retiring him. The money he is on next year is INSANE but it only showcases Dibb & Des incompetent recruitment and cap management decisions.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Manlys cap position is far worse than ours.. so Manly would be happy to take him I'm sure and expect us to pay the majority of his contract still..

As much as I don't want Foran at the Bulldogs, Manly is simply not an option to take him off our hands.. it mathematically cannot happen unless wants to forgo a very lucrative contract to return "home"..

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Manlys cap position is far worse than ours.. so Manly would be happy to take him I'm sure and expect us to pay the majority of his contract still..

As much as I don't want Foran at the Bulldogs, Manly is simply not an option to take him off our hands.. it mathematically cannot happen unless wants to forgo a very lucrative contract to return "home"..
I thought his contract stuff was finished in court ? Why would we have to keep paying him part of his contract if he goes to Manly ?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

If we can't get a classy replacement would you still want Foran out after all that has been done to get him right ???
But
This is the way it could work...We swap Foran for Taupau
Taupau's money plus their $330k cap space.
What ever is the shortfall, Dismal Des should back end pay the rest.

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought his contract stuff was finished in court ? Why would we have to keep paying him part of his contract if he goes to Manly ?
sorry I didn't make that clear ... i was referring to Foran..

But just on that note would the bulldogs be entitled to a refund on the payout if he was employed by manly ?? because it was all based on potential loss of income wasn't it ??

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
sorry I didn't make that clear ... i was referring to Foran..

But just on that note would the bulldogs be entitled to a refund on the payout if he was employed by manly ?? because it was all based on potential loss of income wasn't it ??
Oh Foran! I see what you mean now. To answer your question I don’t think we would be entitled to a refund cause I believe Hasler did sign a contract but Dib got rid of him to save himself and made out Hasler didn’t sign anything. Dibs fuck up, I could be wrong though.