Bulldogs roll out the blue and white carpet for Josh Addo-Carr

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So fukn budget on other areas... No doubt Cotric and JAC can win u games just a much as any FB or HB... Still 8 mil to play with lol.
What Happens when Flanagan has a strong season and his manager asks to double his contract? What happens if Averillo kills it and asks for an upgrade? We have no fucking money because people wanted to spend a billion dollars on our backline.

Cotric and JAC don't have that sort of impact, what rubbish. JAC might come up with the match winning play in a big game but everything in between that is off the back off a strong forward pack and a fully functioning spine.

Anyway I'm confident he will end up here, hopefully it's not on some of the ridiculous coin that has been mentioned on here. Cotric also has to kill it @ centre and have q Lomax/Crichton/Manu/Staggs type impact while Hoppa andDWZ need to be flicked for some much cheaper talent.

Good teams don't win finals throwing top $$$ at whatever back is available on the market, they win it getting good value from their backline and splashing the cash in more important areas.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dwz wont be retained at $650k after this contract for $650k even if he kills it either released or contract $$ reduction also remember we would have the cheapest 6/7/9 in the comp so we can carry some more expensive wingers for this year
Also we were probably paying a good part of a mil on smith holland and Montoya

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we get JAC it will be for a good price. I don't know why people are thinking Barrett will even blow the cap. He is literally on his last chance as a head coach. He isn't going to blow the cap willy nilly, as we can see with the halves.

Will it be a little on the overs side? Probably, but nothing stupid that gets him sacked.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barret didn't sign Cotric or DWZ. He wants to be a career head coach, he isn't going to be stupid. Especially in his first year back as coach.

Maybe he will, in the end, if it all turns pear shaped like Des with Foran and Woods but not yet.

A good example is he offered Foran a budget contract for a year, Foran didn't like it, Barrett said goodbye and got Green.

Last edited:

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not sure why people are absolutely freaking out regarding recruitment. Look at a club like Manly who are paying 3.5 mil for Turbos and DCE. We appear to have our 1, 6 and 7 (Avo, Burton and Flanagan) for around 1.5mil.

Everyone said we needed to go out onto the market and buy a high profile player. We did that with Cotric who I believe behind C Smith and David Fifita was the third most high profile player off contract last year. I think if we get JAC around 700k thats a solid price if we can get rid of Hoppa and Napa too.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Barret didn't sign Cotric or DWZ. He wants to be a career head coach, he isn't going to be stupid. Especially in his first year back as coach.

Maybe he will in the end if it all turns pear shaped like Des with Fotan and Woods but not yet.

A good example is he offered Foran a budget contract for a year, Foran didn't like it, Barrett said goodbye and got Green.
Baz wanted to keep Foz @ the club and wanted us to increase our offer, club said no. Same thing happened with Elliott but Baz got his way with some help and Elliott ended up staying.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not sure why people are absolutely freaking out regarding recruitment. Look at a club like Manly who are paying 3.5 mil for Turbos and DCE. We appear to have our 1, 6 and 7 (Avo, Burton and Flanagan) for around 1.5mil.

Everyone said we needed to go out onto the market and buy a high profile player. We did that with Cotric who I believe behind C Smith and David Fifita was the third most high profile player off contract last year. I think if we get JAC around 700k thats a solid price if we can get rid of Hoppa and Napa too.
Like I said in an earlier post, what happens if Flanagan plays well next season and asks to double his contract? Averillo? Etc. We got some guys on some good deals but your kidding yourself if you don't think they will be hassling the club for more $$$ if they perform.

Jebbundy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Like I said in an earlier post, what happens if Flanagan plays well next season and asks to double his contract? Averillo? Etc. We got some guys on some good deals but your kidding yourself if you don't think they will be hassling the club for more $$$ if they perform.
It’s all about the culture, and what we have building, for the first time in yrs we have people wanting to come to the club, it’s a sell in what we want as a group. Upgrades are all part of the deal in business but I’d say the the club is moving into a rooster type system, the laundy’s will have a lot to do with that, after football life I’d say.
We will have a lot off contract hoppa, dwz, Napa, Jackson, meany, Marshall, so there is money there, but you can easily build a team around a strong 6,7,1.
Next step will be making sure our jnr system is amazing. Then the worry slows a bit.
There are always forwards coming through so that’s never a problem, 6,7,9 are less and less, so as long as that’s strong you can continue to build a team around it. Storm has done it for years.
Biggest problem will be if we win a comp and we have a few blues stars again. But again it need a good development system and then we are in the box seat.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
who gives a shit how good they are, spending 1.2m of your cap on two wingers is stupid as fuck lol.
Obviously these blokes haven't seen the success the Storm and Roosters have had with how much they spend on their wingers.

Also Bellamy never spends big on his 2,3,4 & 5

But hey, Cotric can bust a tackle and the fox can dive 2m In the air and 5m across

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Foxx has to be playing fullback if we are shelling out big money otherwise it’s going to bite us in the ass down the track with young halves that will need upgrades. We are also spending little money at hooker at the minute too and you’d like to think that will change over the next couple of years.

Having a lot of cap invested in outside backs or the forwards never ends well.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Obviously these blokes haven't seen the success the Storm and Roosters have had with how much they spend on their wingers.

Also Bellamy never spends big on his 2,3,4 & 5

But hey, Cotric can bust a tackle and the fox can dive 2m In the air and 5m across
There might be the odd player here and there that earns a bit extra (Chambers, JAC) but most of the time Bellamy is hitting the bargain bin and developing some talented athletes and getting a year or two out of them on unders.

At the end of the day if your forwards and spine at performing then any half decent athlete that can follow instructions should be able to do the job for you in the backline.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well if they're performing than that is a bloody good problem to have! What is your solution... not to sign them?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Well if they're performing than that is a bloody good problem to have! What is your solution... not to sign them?
My solution is don't spend millions on the backline.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly! Should we go back to signing plodders again like when we had salary cap issues again? Successful teams lose players due to cap constraints. I’m comfortable with that if it’s managed well