Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Bulldogs reportedly chasing SBW for 2021

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Breaking News

Daily Telegraph

By Phil Rothfield

Sonny Bill Williams’ Roosters salary revealed.

Sonny Bill Williams’ contract details at the Sydney Roosters can finally be revealed — the superstar forward will be paid $150,000 to play the last four rounds of the competition and finals.

However a much bigger pay packet will be an option for 2021, but not at the Roosters because of the salary cap space needed to upgrade champions Luke Keary and James Tedesco.

News Corp Australia can reveal the Canterbury Bulldogs are seriously interested in bringing the champion forward back to where it all started in 2004 to help new coach Trent Barrett rebuild the club and culture at Belmore.

THE MONEY

The Roosters tried to register SBW on a $120,000 contract with the NRL.

It was rejected but both parties eventually agreed on a value of $150,000.

That’s $37,500 a game for the last four matches of the season.

On a pro rata basis, that values Williams as a $900,000-a-season footballer if he’d signed at the beginning of the year to play 24 rounds.

“I’m not doing it for money,” he said on Wednesday.

“It wasn’t even part of my thinking.

“I knew it wasn’t going to be much. It’s more about the challenge.”

THE PRESSURE

Sonny Bill starts talking about the less fortunate.

“You talk about pressure and challenges,” he said.

“What about the homeless. The people around the world who struggle to put food on the table for their families.

“Every day they struggle. That’s pressure. It really is.

“I’m just playing sport. Playing NRL at the end of the season for a month or a bit longer.

“Sometimes I question myself about what I’m doing but I don’t regard it as pressure.”
IMG_0871.jpeg

THE CHALLENGE

For the first time in his career, footy superstar Sonny Bill Williams admits he is nervous.

He says he spent two days wondering if he could still manage the demands of one more campaign in the sport in which he started out 16 years ago at the Canterbury Bulldogs.

“I am nervous,” he said. “I haven’t been training and I’ve started thinking about my age.

“At nearly 35 I’ve had a couple of injuries and surgery.

“There was 24 to 48 hours and I was just lying in bed and thinking, man, all these factors are stacked again me.”

Williams flies in on Thursday morning, following a recent private luncheon between his manager, Khoder Nasser, and Roosters supremo Nick Politis.

He hasn’t played in the NRL since 2014, and the game has changed significantly since then.

He says he can’t just arrive at the two-time premiers and demand a starting spot.

No when he hasn’t played or trained professionally since February.

“The biggest challenge is trying to make the squad,” he said. “There’s world-class players at the Roosters. I just can’t walk in and take a spot.

“The other boys will have been in the competition for 14 or 15 weeks. It’s a massive challenge.”

THE NRL

There has been much discussion around the game about the NRL bending the rules to allow for SBW’s return.

Never before has a player been allowed to have two contracts.

Williams could not be more grateful for the way it has been handled.

“Credit to Peter V’landys for being forward thinking and just getting it done,” he said.

“The new people in charge at the NRL are making things happen.

“It’s been a pretty stressful time to pack up quickly and leave.

“The fact there have been no hassles from their end has made it easier.”

THE ROOSTERS

Williams is aware of the critics who have said he should be helping out the Warriors.

I asked him why he didn’t consider playing for the struggling New Zealand outfit.

“I moved to Australia when I was 14 and my wife is Australian,” he said.

“I’ve got four kids under five. The plan was to always set up shop in Sydney once I’m finished, not in New Zealand.

“Trent (Robinson) was the first to ring me. He had injury problems with a few of the boys.

“And apart from Trent and Nick, I think most people know I’m still close to the boys.

“The Roosters are close to my heart. If I wasn’t playing I wouldn’t be playing at all.

“I’ve been in holiday mode and travelling around Europe with my family. We’d done France and Turkey. Then we were going to do Bosnia and Greece. Then this opportunity came up.”

THE FUTURE

The champion forward remains under contract to Toronto Wolfpack but is unsure about next year.

There is a coaching.mentoring role available at the Roosters.

However there is very strong mail that the Canterbury Bulldogs want Sonny Bill next year.

There have been high-level talks with his agent Khoder Nasser.

He would play and work alongside new coach Trent Barrett to rebuild their culture and set new standards for a club that has struggled with off-field issues.

Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill refuses to rule it out.

“We’d be definitely keen to look at it,” Hill said. “Who wouldn’t want Sonny Bill, but would he ever play against the Roosters. Who knows?”

For SBW it would be a fitting end to go back to where it all started.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
SBW, stay in the burning shack that is the rorters...

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We’ve actually got a comment from hill on this, personally I wouldn’t mind this

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like Lafai an SBW May reunite, It’s been done to death, getting him back etc.. and I was one who said I don’t want him back it’s time to move on...

now the flip-side
Him coming back under Barrett am working along side him, does it attract massive talent and give this club the upper hand? He will finish here an play/assistant coach role once he hangs up the boots... or will it have the opposite affect?

I think it would work,if he’s coming home to rebuild an redeem and stay here for the good of the club, it’s messed up, I don’t want him, but it very well could create extra success, can look at it two ways and from both sides..!!! If TBAZ and the club want him.. then so be it..!!

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“I’ve been in holiday mode and travelling around Europe with my family. We’d done France and Turkey. Then we were going to do Bosnia and Greece. Then this opportunity came up.”
Unbelievable. This selfish prick traveling to other countries during a global health pandemic. Fuck I hate him. Hope some big forward smashes him in his first game back.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
why are we giving rothfield this breath, what a load of fukn shit

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People be staying salty all these years, do you know how much eyes this guy brings to the club

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the rumour that never dies

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Sounds like Lafai an SBW May reunite, It’s been done to death, getting him back etc.. and I was one who said I don’t want him back it’s time to move on...

now the flip-side
Him coming back under Barrett am working along side him, does it attract massive talent and give this club the upper hand? He will finish here an play/assistant coach role once he hangs up the boots... or will it have the opposite affect?

I think it would work,if he’s coming home to rebuild an redeem and stay here for the good of the club, it’s messed up, I don’t want him, but it very well could create extra success, can look at it two ways and from both sides..!!! If TBAZ and the club want him.. then so be it..!!
Scoob, where did your love for Lafai come from?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks he will play NRL for anyone but the Roosters is kidding.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can’t waste that sort of money on him we need to build our roster

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even though I think it would be a good idea having him back at the dogs, it would do wonders for our brand being attached to an X amount of feel good stories ........the only way I would want $BW back at the Dogs, is if he came clean about Uncle Nick and the rorters cheating ways. An expose into corruption at the chook pen and NRL exclusive.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sbw for the business end of the season for 150k :tearsofjoy:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s a good narrative from the writer ‘back to where it all started’

It prob does have legs due to the fact Hill didn’t rule it out ‘who wouldn’t want Sonny’

Also if we re sign Foz them two are BFF s

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When will we be done with the SBW returning rumours? Even when he retires I’m sure there will be SBW to be Bulldogs ambassador rumours