Official Bulldogs Reject Sports Betting

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This just looks like a cheap publicity stunt to me when you still get the majority of your money from gambling. Taking people to the cleaners in the pokie room is all good but don’t dare put a multi on the footy according to the Dogs. They would have been better keeping quite instead of grandstanding on something like this.
I think it’s more that we aren’t plastering it on our jerseys. Also our leagues club isn’t just for pokies. It’s got a great bistro and Chinese restaurant.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This just looks like a cheap publicity stunt to me when you still get the majority of your money from gambling. Taking people to the cleaners in the pokie room is all good but don’t dare put a multi on the footy according to the Dogs. They would have been better keeping quite instead of grandstanding on something like this.
It’s different levels.
The best analogy I can think of right now is

pokies are a Venus fly trap, they are there, they have a weak lure, but people make their decision to walk in.

betting agencies use psychological, predatory methods to be part of the fabric of society, they have played a part in shaping society to their advantage. Now they’re in your pocket. They actively hunt like a lion I guess, but more selfish

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pokies aren’t promoted in predatory ways. The way gambling companies have infiltrated society has been a very thought out, long-term strategy. Pokies are there. The most exposure you get is driving past the VIP lounge signs. Sportsbet, NEDS tab are predators
I agree, unless you’re in a pub or club with the flashing lights, jackpots & noises.

For the record, I love a bet and think this is a good gesture but it’s just that, a good gesture and not a wholehearted one

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ban gambling advertising across the board in the same way they banned cigarette advertising, I'd throw in alcohol promotion as well.
I'm with this 100%. Kids see way too much too early these days.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this, just wish they had the power to stop all the gambling ads you can't escape on tv. Especially that sportsbet gronk.

One major difference between gambling ads and pokies to those saying "what about all our pokies"? Gambling ads don't give people a choice. They're shown at all times, and on all programming. If someone has a problem, they're basically going to have to quit watching tv, or else risk being triggered into chucking a $50 on. Even worse is that kids can see tv ads. They'll not see pokies unless they sneak in or have loser parents that take them in there. Pokies have to be in a separate area of pubs and clubs don't they? I don't frequent such places, but pretty sure that's how it's been for years. I don't see the problem with that. Adults can make their own choices. Just like people choose to drink, drug, smoke whatever. Plenty of things that are bad for you that most people partake in. At least pokies requires an adult to choose to physically go and play them. Gambling ads are visible to all and actively encourage gambling.

I really don't see pokies anywhere near as bad tbh.

Last edited:

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now the betting agency will fuck is up lol.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also re: Kids and gambling. I was gobsmacked recently when I saw an announcement about a local kids bingo event being cancelled. I wondered wtf are they teaching kids to play bingo?! They even have it on Jeopardy. A quiz show you'd think was totally harmless. I was watching the other day when they had a teen tournament on. These kids were under 18 I'm pretty sure. Now, Jeopardy always has 'daily doubles' where the contestants can wager as much as they have. Normall it doesn't phase me because they're adults usually. I was surprised they retained this for the teen tournament. It basically tells children gambling is ok.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Perhaps we might be refereed more "evenly" if we were alligned with a betting agency

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't play the pokies but I benefit from the reduced alcohol and food prices that wouldn't be reduced if the pokies weren't there. Plus most clubs support their local sporting clubs, charities, SES, etc, without pokies that would stop also.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol praising a gambling sponsor and footy club support by pokies decision to not have betting agent sponsors.
Hypocritical much

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Welcome back Spoony.

Yeh I agree. I posted something similar the other day regarding our club and it's image. Our club is too worried about it's image and marketing than it is about getting the results on the field right. They still don't get it, we don't care about anything except the results on the field. Get the results on the field and everything else falls into place including image and marketing.