Bulldogs recruit Nu Brown wants to play along side Kieran Foran in the halves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NU Brown has made it clear to new Canterbury coach Dean Pay he wants first shot at partnering the Bulldogs’ $3 million man Kieran Foran in the halves.

Foran is yet to hit the training paddock as he continues his rehab in the gym, but there have been no shortage of halves contenders trying to make a mark on Pay, including Brown, Matt Frawley and Josh Cleeland.

Lachie Lewis, the 21-year-old nephew of Immortal Wally Lewis, is also making an impression.

Brown ruptured his ACL at the Auckland Nines in 2015, then struggled to get a start in the halves behind Cronulla pair James Maloney and Chad Townsend.

While used sparingly and as a utility at the Sharks, Brown told Pay of his dream to start in the halves, declaring he had the confidence to do just that come round one.

“I said to Deano, ‘I didn’t come here to be a reserve or be used as a utility, I’ve come here to make a name for myself and a fresh start’,’’ Brown told The Daily Telegraph.

Nu Brown is looking for a fresh start at the Bulldogs. Picture: Richard Dobson
“I know I’m ready. I feel like I’m ready to go out on my own and be a leader.

“I know in myself I’m capable of doing what starting players do week in week out. I want a taste of the NRL again.’’

Brown said he had learned a lot from Maloney and Townsend, and being a part of the 2015 premiership winning Sharks had given him a vital glimpse of what was required for an NRL club to go all the way.

That was not lost on Pay, who was glad to have a vast list of contenders to partner Foran in the No. 6 or No. 7 jersey.

“The thing about Nu is he’s played in a winning team at Cronulla and had that experience in playing in some bigger games,’’ Pay said.

“He’s a powerful kid and definitely in the mix for a halves spot. There’s some good competition for spots. They’re all training really well at the moment.’’

Moses Mbye could play at fullback in 2018. Pic Mark Evans
Frawley spent plenty of time in the halves last year and still lives with former favourite son Josh Reynolds, Queenslander Cleeland, 26, impressed in the NSW Cup for the Dogs last season, as did Lewis.

Brown, who turns 23 this month, said his running game was his best asset, which would only complement Foran’s organisational skills.

As for Foran, Pay said he continued to make good progress in rehabilitation, and had resumed straight-line running. Which jersey number would be on his back would be decided closer to the season opener.

Moses Mbye, one player seen as a potential halves partner for Foran, has been training at fullback with Will Hopoate expected to move to the centres once he returns to training after his successful Tongan World Cup campaign.

The Bulldogs will have two trials against the Raiders on the Sunshine Coast and then Penrith at spiritual Belmore Oval before their season opener against premiers Melbourne in Perth.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The halves have the biggest ???? at the moment.. Nu Brown, Frawley, Cleeland all have little to no NRL experience

If only we could nab an experienced/NRL half from somewhere to partner Foran

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For me it is Brown or Cleeland and either of these two would be one of the weakest halves in the NRL. Please not Frawley, all he has is a good kicking game. He has terrible defence and is not creative or a threat with the ball. Depth player at best

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Competition for spots is what we havent had for a while with haslers stubborn pick and stick selections so this will bring out the best and one will stand out in pre season

A

Alexander the Great

Not sure how I feel about this..

Cleeland honestly deserves a crack....

But I'll back whoever Pay sees as best fit.

Decent side forming for next year ... exciting times ahead.
We are still at 35 bucks for the premiership. Wtf is going on here

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya
6. Brown
7. Foran
8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Danny.F
14. Lee
15. Tolman
16. Taualu
17. Elliot

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1) Hopoate.
2) B.Morris.
3) J.Morris
4) Mbye.
5) Montoya.
6) Foran.
7) Cleeland.
8) Woods (c)
9) Lichaa.
10) Klemmer.
11) Jackson.
12) Martin (GK)
13) Tolman
14) Fualolo.
15) Elliott.
16) RFM.
17) Taualu

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
You gotta earn your place, not demand it, he won't get first shot.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Competition for spots is what we havent had for a while with haslers stubborn pick and stick selections so this will bring out the best and one will stand out in pre season
Fine line between competition and paranoia. Healthy competition would reap benefits, but all it takes is for one guy to start doing sneaky things before distrust builds around the team.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Lee
5. Montoya
6. Cleeland
7. Foran
8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. Martin
13. RFM
14. Brown
15. Tolman
16. Fualalo
17. Elliot

And no I didn't forget Hoppa.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Lee
5. Montoya
6. Cleeland
7. Foran
8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. Martin
13. RFM
14. Brown
15. Tolman
16. Fualalo
17. Elliot

And no I didn't forget Hoppa.
Hey what about hoppa you forgot about him.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. B moz
3. J moz(CC)
4. Hopoate
5. Montoya
6. Cleeland
7. Foran
8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Rhyse Martin(GK)
12. RFM
13. Jackson(C)

14. Brown
15. Fualolo
16. Elliot
17. Tolman

WE DON'T KNOW THE BEST LINE UP!!! We need to experiment next season to determine who we sign the following offseason!

I believe the halves will needs a player like Morgan, or a capable halve like Cleary. 6. Foran 7. Cleary would be brilliant.

We will find out after a few games whether Mbye is a capable fullback. If not we could look at the likes of RTS, Coote and consider shifting Mbye of to Asia or maybe slotting him at centre.

Replacements for J moz and B moz in my opinion should be 3. Klemmer 2. Holland ewofjowrefupoef sorry nasheed hacked me. Anyways I would like a big strong fast winger, someone like David fusitua or a young winger like Tom car???? For J moz I would slot in Justin o' neil.

Final position is lock.

IDK. Some mobile foward.

1. RTS/ Tom trebojievic
2. David fusitua
3. Justin O'neil
4. Will Hopoate
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Kieran Foran/ Morgan
7. Nathan Cleary/ Kieran Foran
8. Aaron Woods
9. Micheal Lichaa
10. David Klemmer
11. Josh Jackson
12. RFM
13. Jake Trebojobicips ( the trebojdoww brothers would be great. Wouldn't come cheap, neither would RTS

14. Cleeland
15. Tualou
16. Fualolo
17. Rhyse Martin

Rorters could do this. Why can't we?

Were freeing up millions in 2018!

Status
Not open for further replies.