Bulldogs Rebuild – CEO Aaron Warburton Confident of Success

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
REBUILD is a word that often gets thrown around in professional rugby league, particularly with the modern game being such a success-driven business.

That’s why it’s imperative to have a strong stable in charge. As the great Jack Gibson famously said; winning starts in the front office.

Well reported dramas in the boardroom, major salary cap mismanagement issues and a worry of disharmony among key stakeholders has haunted the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs of recent seasons.

Despite the results of 2021 thus far, it’s not unfair to say that the aforementioned problems have been rectified. But one would be forgiven for thinking the club was actually on the way down, if you were to focus solely on match results. That simply isn’t the case.

A new coach, new coaching staff, new players, a new board, a new Chief Executive Officer in Aaron Warburton and a lot of new sponsors. This is a club on the up. The foundations of a genuine rebuild, as Warburton describes it, have been laid.

“I think we’re in the thick of a genuine rebuild,” he said. “In that round one week we spent two full days building our vision which is an off-field piece that has a lot of on-field undertones to it.”

Warburton is no stranger behind the scenes of the NRL world. An extremely talented and motivated individual, he was the club’s Head of Commercial Partnerships from 2010-2017, following a successful stint at the Parramatta Eels.

FUTURE PLANS
Trent Barrett
Trent Barrett
Warburton says the club’s vision includes, obviously, wanting to be a top four side for a long time. That is a goal that may seem light years away. But perhaps it isn’t.

“On the field we’re at ground level but we’re on the way up. When we’re that powerhouse club we’re feared on and off the field,” he said, alluding to the peak that the club is striving to achieve in all facets of the sport.

“My first meeting of my tenure was with (new coach) Trent Barrett, because it was important to get my head around the on-field stuff. We need a strategy in place on-field and I’m really comfortable with where that strategy is at.”

Warburton speaks highly of Trent Barrett. He knows, and says as much, that the players show up every day with a positive attitude because Barrett is the one with the whistle, who has a vision they all buy in to.

“The first thing he does when he introduces a new player is he sits down and shows some key videos about what it means to be a Bulldog,” Warburton explains.

“He speaks about our legacy and creating our path as a Bulldog. He grew up a Bulldogs fan. We need to carve and forge our own way forward as a unit. He’s setting that vision and it’s almost like he’s been at the club for a decade.

“You’d think a rookie coach would skim over that but he has really harnessed nearly 90 years of history.”

RECRUITMENT & RETENTION
You can expect the club to be very active in the player market for season 2022. They’ve already added Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton. Expect more to follow in the coming months.

“We are as active as we have ever been in terms of (the salary cap) and the scope we have to be quite active (in the player market). We also have a fair squad across the board, but they’re young and that inexperience is showing.

“We had two players over 25 years of age (on the weekend in round three), which puts it in perspective.”

Many in the media will tell you club’s like the Bulldogs will have to pay overs for players, but Warburton says that isn’t the case at all.

“I don’t think we’re in that position,” he said. “We aren’t going out and signing 15 players from other clubs, (but) we will have a good mix of current players and new talent in 2022.

“We’re looking at those off contract at other clubs, but also those who may still have a tenure on their contract, and we might poke the bear a little bit on those at the end of the season.

“What I’m seeing is that players are wanting to be a part of this club. The number of players and agents talking to us, they’re wanting to come here. The dialogue we’re having with players and agents is telling me that we will get to exactly where we need to be.”

THE FANS AND SPONSORS
Warburton said the fan base is viewed by the club as being “everything” to them.

“I know they’ve been told the same story for a number of years but I hope fans can now see how engaged we’ve been,” he said.

Our playing kit is completely full for the first time in years and, for the first time in four years, we have a waiting list for player sponsors.”

The club has also hit their target in membership numbers.

“We need really clear commercial revenue streams that deliver by attracting the right brands that will add value to our club,” Warburton said.

That has been proven with a host of major sponsors signing up for season 2021 and beyond. Major sponsors Laundy Hotels and its owners the Laundy family have been vocal and passionate about the club.

McDonalds, Ultimate Security, OnSolar and more have committed to the club. The new board, headed by the respected and highly admired John Khoury, are making nothing but positive moves. Not bad considering the apparent position that some circles of the media will tell you the club is in.

No, the club has not had a successful start on the field for season 2021. But, with everything just discussed, it’s clear to see success is coming. It may not be 2021, but this isn’t the same only story that’s been told for the past few seasons.

This is indeed a “genuine” rebuild. A long-term coach, the right people in and around the club, goals in place with proven strategies to reach those goals and a strong front office backed financially by sponsors and stakeholders.

Be disappointed, be angry if you must, but don’t give up. That’s the message from Warburton.

“I can only speak from experience, and that is 16 years in the NRL across the Eels and the Bulldogs, and I still see the game as a fan,” he said.

“I truly resonate with what it means to turn up week in and week up. You’ll never hear me say you can’t be upset. Every supporter feels the way they do because they’re a fan.

“You’ll never hear me say their opinion is wrong. A number of clubs share similar drivers to us, but I feel we have a unique fan base. Everyone needs to see that there’s light.”

DEVELOPMENT
As happy as the club are with the talent coming through, like 17 year old SG Ball centre Paul Alamoti who recently re-signed with the club until 2023, Warburton admits they are “a long way” from where they want to be as a development club.

“We’re in the process of securing some space at the Dunc Gray Velodrome in the Crest Sporting Complex in Bass Hill,” he explained.

“It will be the club’s high performance centre for our development squads. That means that all of our junior squads will be housed there.

“It will basically be a replica to what the NRL squad is and will have structures and developments in place exactly the same as the NRL. That has been one of Trent’s main visions and it’s happening soon.”

Our thanks to Aaron Warburton and the Bulldogs club for the story. Follow Nothing But League on Twitter and Facebook.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refreshing to read, regardless of on field results. It’s good to have an admin that’s not in shambles, views the fans as everything to the team, and have a clear plan that they’ll put into action.

The club has sponsors lining up, and players that actually want to come to us. There’s a massive focus on junior development, which is great.

Also
“We’re looking at those off contract at other clubs, but also those who may still have a tenure on their contract, and we might poke the bear a little bit on those at the end of the season.
Good to see we’re chasing players still on contract with other clubs.

It’s not all bad, and hopefully strong foundations are laid for our future success.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s all well and good to have a plan and that should be commended but actually putting that plan into action is whole different thing. Let’s hope we have the right people in place to achieve it.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We went into this season,with some positivety,and unfortunately the results haven’t been,what we wanted,I still believe the club is moving in the right direction,patience ie required,we have learned I’m sure where we need to improve,and that’s in the forwards,we have been rolled badly every week in the forwards,but I’m sure the club knows that ,.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
“What I’m seeing is that players are wanting to be a part of this club. The number of players and agents talking to us, they’re wanting to come here. The dialogue we’re having with players and agents is telling me that we will get to exactly where we need to be.”
I bet a large part of that is our capture of burton.

JAC would've been sold the clubs vision, so all credit to backroom staff.

But any new big names we sign will have burton as a selling point

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great to hear Warburton.
Very intelligent and encouraging piece.
I can’t wait for theses days to arrive and I understand it will take some time. Not too much I hope.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The annual "we are heading in the right direction", fluff piece.. right on cue..

Tbh I've heard enough about "visions"..bit over the used car salesman, sales pitches.... I'm more interested in on field results..

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it's business or sport the key is the personnel. With 15 spots up for grabs in 2022 the decision makers will have some flexibility to get quality.