Bulldogs ready to swoop on cap-strapped Broncos

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They have all been poor so far this season. But he did show some promising signs in previous seasons. Would be good value for 250-350k.
true but if he is only on that then id assume he would stay in brisbane

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So when Pearce, Ponga, Klemmer, Guerra, Mann, Moga etc signed for Newcastle they based that on them having a great coaching department?
A coaching department that after 1 or 2 years into their contracts has totally changed.
Are they now all leaving because they are playing for a different coach than the one they signed to play under?
The obvious U Turn, Ramien, left Newcastle to go back to the Sharks, to a rooky coach with zero track record.
Why do you think Holmes went to the Cowboys, money or maybe going home, both obviously had more appeal than who the coach was.

Not in any suggesting that the coach is irrelevant, but there is more than enough evidence to suggest that's it's not that high on the players list of what clubs they sign with.

Go Dogs
Well there has to be a reason whatever the case is. How else do you explain having $3 million plus to spend and no signings being made other than Thompson?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I see S.Crichton as a winger (like Tupou)... Never been the biggest fan of Isaako either. However those 2 together on and edge would be quite balanced. If they are some of our recruitment targets I wouldn't mind
I think S Crichton is a centre mate he has good enough hands to put his winger away and the way he moves in traffic is typical of a centre with foot work. He’s gone good against everyone he has come up against except Waqa Blake and personally I think that’s inexperience- time will tell.

Isaako I’d take cause he can play fullback and also the added benefit of being a good goal kicker. He is not playing very well this season but realistically besides Kitoni Staggs nobody in brissy is setting the world on fire at the moment.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Titans have openly offered Fifita $1.1 mil and the Broncos have stated that they can't pay him more than $700k due to salary cap restraints... there is no way he is going to give up the extra $500k a season to remain at the Broncos and if he does then its absolute bull shit.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when Pearce, Ponga, Klemmer, Guerra, Mann, Moga etc signed for Newcastle they based that on them having a great coaching department?
A coaching department that after 1 or 2 years into their contracts has totally changed.
Are they now all leaving because they are playing for a different coach than the one they signed to play under?
The obvious U Turn, Ramien, left Newcastle to go back to the Sharks, to a rooky coach with zero track record.
Why do you think Holmes went to the Cowboys, money or maybe going home, both obviously had more appeal than who the coach was.

Not in any suggesting that the coach is irrelevant, but there is more than enough evidence to suggest that's it's not that high on the players list of what clubs they sign with.

Go Dogs
ok let’s look at how he signed them .
Ponga played 2 games of nrl and they paid overs long term . Massive gamble he could have been a dud
Guerra was a dud and still a dud and past his prime , roosters were not going to resign him , Mann was struggling to get game time at dragons and on top was shuffled around , not a big name signing
Pearce was the big key signing and that ONLY occured due to them already having some players on the books , side was improving and the Johns brothers selling the club (who do the dogs have to do high profile selling of the club ). Klemmer went there after all those others got there and had Pearce selling the club in origin camp (why do you think after origin knights capitulated and stopped playing for brown when they were top 4, things get said and done in origin camp)

the issue is getting the big name signing off the bat and that’s were the coach and club attractiveness comes into play , otherwise you have to slowly build year on year on . The issue is with dogs they have not been building up the side until this war chest is available so thinking you will make big kills with everything remaining the same coach wise is fanciful especially when players can see the club is on the slide , have been poor for 3 years and have a coach that hasn’t shown anything of substance

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We should go for staggs if anyone. One of broncos best and is from nsw. We need a gun centre

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Titans have openly offered Fifita $1.1 mil and the Broncos have stated that they can't pay him more than $700k due to salary cap restraints... there is no way he is going to give up the extra $500k a season to remain at the Broncos and if he does then its absolute bull shit.
Third party sponsor mate.. and will push others out to upgrade him... ... $1.1 V $700k is actually $400k gap and I think Brisbane will close that as much as possible and keep him. The concern now for us is Gold Coast also making a play for some of their players that we would also be interested in...

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'd end up with someone like this:
1. Bird (Broncos contributing) - centre
2. Ofahengaue - prop
3. Milford (Broncos contributing) - fullback
We're not going to get the players Broncos want for the future.

If we signed these three, as well as a hooker (e.g. Mahoney) and maybe winger (e.g. Alex Johnston, Oates) what would we think?
A big fuck no to bird and Milf.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep i agree but was just making a point that we continue to play guys out of position which must be frustrating for everyone
lock is the same as front row in todays game, they play as 3 middles.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If people on this site continue to bag Lewis imagine what they will say if Milford every ended up here..he is complete garbage...i would prefer Darrell Trindle again ahead of Milford
We'd end up with someone like this:
1. Bird (Broncos contributing) - centre
2. Ofahengaue - prop
3. Milford (Broncos contributing) - fullback
We're not going to get the players Broncos want for the future.

If we signed these three, as well as a hooker (e.g. Mahoney) and maybe winger (e.g. Alex Johnston, Oates) what would we think?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If people on this site continue to bag Lewis imagine what they will say if Milford every ended up here..he is complete garbage...i would prefer Darrell Trindle again ahead of Milford
Obviously we'd all want Turpin, Staggs, Flegler, etc. but they're not the players Broncos are going to move on. We're going to get the "rejects" imo. The longer we wait to do something the more desperate we get.

Reactions: DT

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the way we all say

we should sign this player, we should sign that player.

is the same way Aunty Lynne and Co sit in their board room and say "we should sign this player"

our recruitment for 2021, should have started November 1, 2019.... it hasnt happened and now look at us... offering cotric over 700k to come on board.... smh

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Of course we are desperate...failing club on and off the field in the middle of a virus crisis, no major sponsor, the only source of money still not open at capacity, a coach that has no talent to work with but seemingly no ability to coach at this level and coming last...

id say we are desperate
Yh we are haha. I'm just so puzzled by what's going on at the club, something just really feels off.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take on it, is if Lynn does step down it will be on her terms.
She will get some scalps first, like players coach and sponsor.
Yh we are haha. I'm just so puzzled by what's going on at the club, something just really feels off.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My take on it, is if Lynn does step down it will be on her terms.
She will get some scalps first, like players coach and sponsor.
She won't get us shit lol

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should go for staggs if anyone. One of broncos best and is from nsw. We need a gun centre
Broncos have plenty of NSW players at the moment. Lodge, Haas, Bird, Staggs. Even TPJ was spoken about last season.
I’d love us to grab Haas and Staggs somehow