Bulldogs put Berrigan in their sights

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs put Berrigan in their sights
Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 3:50 PM

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes on Thursday dared Brisbane's nippy little playmakers like Shaun Berrigan to test Roy Asotasi's agility in Friday night's NRL preliminary final.

Asotasi is playing his first match since round 24, the 103kg prop coming back from a medial ligament knee injury which affected his lateral movement.

The Kiwi international passed his final fitness test on Thursday and Folkes said it would be unwise for Broncos hooker Berrigan to think he can make some easy yards by exploiting Asotasi around the ruck.

"He can try, but I wouldn't be running near him if I was him," said Folkes.

Folkes said Asotasi had proven to the club's medical staff he was back to 100 per cent fitness and he wouldn't be a liability in the grand final qualifier at Aussie Stadium.

"He's done a lot of lateral stuff, agility stuff and he is good on his feet," said Folkes.

"He's just a terrific athlete and I have got no problems or questions about how he is going to go."

Berrigan has been the Dogs' biggest headache in their two previous encounters this year.

He scored once in the 25-6 mauling in round 12 and then crossed twice in the 30-0 thumping just five weeks ago.

The former Test centre's switch to hooker has been a creative masterstroke by coach Wayne Bennett, and Folkes on Thursday admitted the Bulldogs will be looking to cut Berrigan's influence from the game.

"I've always said he should have been playing hooker," said Folkes.

"He's been good out of dummy half and is a tough little bugger and he's given them a bit of thrust there which allows (Darren) Lockyer a bit more space to play off the back of.

"We need to control their big guys initially I guess to limit (Berrigan's) opportunities."

Bennett said while Berrigan has been a standout lately, he was only as effective as the forwards winning the battle up front.

"(Berrigan's) only been on fire because the other guys have been doing their jobs," said Bennett.

"He wasn't on fire against St George (when Brisbane lost 20-4) because they weren't doing their jobs.

"It comes back to those guys tomorrow night and then Berrigan has a chance of helping us."

Source: AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.