News Bulldogs Positional Switches and Filling Voids 2022 Summary

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BULLDOGS

Biggest issue
: Gelling a largely new team into a cohesive unit.

Analysis: The Bulldogs desperately needed the cavalry to arrive after they took out the wooden spoon with just three wins in 2021, four fewer than the 15th placed Cowboys, who were awful. While the fact that they have been arguably the busiest team in the recruitment stakes is important to turn the club’s fortunes around, so many new faces means it will also take time to form combinations. The backline is tipped to have four new players in Matt Dufty, Brent Naden, Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton, while the pack will have to integrate Paul Vaughan, Tevita Pangai Jr and John Asiata. Burton is the key signing but he will be thrust into the five-eighth role after playing the last season as a centre and taking out the Dally M award for that position. Who partners Burton in the halves is also unknown with Jake Averillo and Kyle Flanagan fighting it out for the No.7 jersey. How Burton transitions into being the main playmaker on his team will be vital to the Dog’s chances of becoming finals contenders. On paper the 2022 Bulldogs look a much stronger side, but with so many new players coming from a variety of clubs, Trent Barrett will need time to get them all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More professional forward line up here and characters professional enough to gel more easily than the crew we had last year, Baz has worked with Burton and Naden and Fox has experience. 12 months with the halves we have so its Not the great impossible for these guys to fall into structure fairly quickly. Liking that PV is fresh and had a big lay off hope he comes in banging.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
BULLDOGS

Biggest issue

Analysis: The Bulldogs desperately needed the cavalry to arrive after they took out the wooden spoon with just three wins in 2021, four fewer than the 15th placed Cowboys, who were awful. While the fact that they have been arguably the busiest team in the recruitment stakes is important to turn the club’s fortunes around, so many new faces means it will also take time to form combinations. The backline is tipped to have four new players in Matt Dufty, Brent Naden, Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton, while the pack will have to integrate Paul Vaughan, Tevita Pangai Jr and John Asiata. Burton is the key signing but he will be thrust into the five-eighth role after playing the last season as a centre and taking out the Dally M award for that position. Who partners Burton in the halves is also unknown with Jake Averillo and Kyle Flanagan fighting it out for the No.7 jersey. How Burton transitions into being the main playmaker on his team will be vital to the Dog’s chances of becoming finals contenders. On paper the 2022 Bulldogs look a much stronger side, but with so many new players coming from a variety of clubs, Trent Barrett will need time to get them all singing from the same hymn sheet.
Decent summary, there are a lot of uncertainties about next season, going to be one of our most interesting seasons in a long while. Anything could happen.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BULLDOGS

Biggest issue

Easy...Don't complicate things !!!
Simple three hard months of fitness training doubled up with extra defence and ball work sessions to build team understanding...If that doesn't work nothing ever will !!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Easy...Don't complicate things !!!
Simple three hard months of fitness training doubled up with extra defence and ball work sessions to build team understanding...If that doesn't work nothing ever will !!!
Not so sure whether Barrett can implement the KISS theory but for sure Gus will be on that page to start with.

Player bonding, trust in defence and execution of basics should be a sound foundation. After that we do seem to have enough talent and x factor to build a very potent attack.

Gus will bring confidence in the process hopefully and stop knee jerk and favourites selections where not warranted.

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
More professional forward line up here and characters professional enough to gel more easily than the crew we had last year, Baz has worked with Burton and Naden and Fox has experience. 12 months with the halves we have so its Not the great impossible for these guys to fall into structure fairly quickly. Liking that PV is fresh and had a big lay off hope he comes in banging.
yep.
That and we are the Bulldogs not the Tigers.
Thank fuck Gus is here too, last 5 years an unacceptable sham.
I have no pre conceived ideas of where we will sit on the ladder by the end of next year so as long as we see improvement and dare I say it
consecutive wins along the way Ill be happy.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
yep.
That and we are the Bulldogs not the Tigers.
Thank fuck Gus is here too, last 5 years an unacceptable sham.
I have no pre conceived ideas of where we will sit on the ladder by the end of next year so as long as we see improvement and dare I say it
consecutive wins along the way Ill be happy.
I can't remember the last time we had consecutive wins...

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As long as we see competitive football and a good structure I’ll be happy. I’m expecting us to fall around 8-9 but if the our foward pack fires and Burton plays well u never know. The issue is our hooker and halfback other then that the sides quality.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not so sure whether Barrett can implement the KISS theory but for sure Gus will be on that page to start with.

Player bonding, trust in defence and execution of basics should be a sound foundation. After that we do seem to have enough talent and x factor to build a very potent attack.

Gus will bring confidence in the process hopefully and stop knee jerk and favourites selections where not warranted.
I have my doubts about Furner fixing the defence !!!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the only miss we made was not signing adam reynolds
We have 4 halves on the books for next year mate. I know Reynolds is high quality but there is no way we could have signed him without one of Flanno or Wakeham being moved on.

And there were no takers for them

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have fallen so far off the pace in the last 5 seasons/darkest days of the club.

It’s so bad I’m just looking forward to seeing our prop get to the 10m line from kickoff/restarts…set total to be more than 25-30 gain. A spiral bomb, find more yards and space on general kicking …kick in goal/repeat sets. Line speed on D…aggressive tackling ….express pace and genuine match winners…

The biggest question mark is Baz, no more excuses

Bring on 2022

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time we had consecutive wins...
Short memory, rounds 22 and 23 only 2 years ago, in fact we won 4 in a row being rounds 20 to 23 inclusive.

In 2019 we only finished 1 win short of playing finals, we had 10 wins and Donkeys had 11 to finish 8th.

Always a Bulldog

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's most obvious that our biggest weakness is at 7.

I think Baz will start & persist with Averillo but I can see BBO being our long term 7.

Where this leaves Jake remains the question though as I certainly want him in my 17.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Short memory, rounds 22 and 23 only 2 years ago, in fact we won 4 in a row being rounds 20 to 23 inclusive.

In 2019 we only finished 1 win short of playing finals, we had 10 wins and Donkeys had 11 to finish 8th.

Always a Bulldog
Ah yes, in the before times

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as we see competitive football and a good structure I’ll be happy. I’m expecting us to fall around 8-9 but if the our foward pack fires and Burton plays well u never know. The issue is our hooker and halfback other then that the sides quality.
In a better quality team, if our hooker and half back don't show promise enterprise and talent it will stick out like bulls nada and they will be replaced very quickly. It appears the hierarchy expects Cook to be our future hooker. Half back ???? and full back it's up to Dufty I guess.