Bulldogs plan to cover loss of Aaron Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What pisses me off about him is that you can see he has potential but hardly lives up to it. I would gladly say that to his face too.
Woods problem was lack of support when he was ready to pop an offload.

Typical Woodsy game tonight... nothing remarkable.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is why i shit on Pay, he simply doesn't know what he's doing. The fucking casuals on here are getting all excited because Pay is "trying things" but in reality he's putting very little thought into what he's doing and just dumping the next player into whatever position and it's doing them and the team no good. His tactical nous is just completely non existent.
Unless the coach knows his players well and his game structures suits, he's just playing Russian roulette with a player's career. On field leadership and direction has a huge impact on rookie players as well.Thousands of kids have hopes of being part of a 1st grade squad, 500 or less make it. Unless the player standard in league is poor, in order to get selected into this squad every player must have impressed in lower grades, it's up to the coach to build and nurture this talent. History proves that good League coaches develop the majority of their players, they don't buy (steal) them.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What pisses me off about him is that you can see he has potential but hardly lives up to it.

I would gladly say that to his face too.
‘Ken oath.
If he could deliver close to his best for 80mins every week, he’d be playing origin right now.

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our system has always played young forwards in short stints early in there f/g careers .SonnyBill for an example.
SBW debut in the centres, played a full game and ripped Parra apart. I don't ever remember him playing only the last 10 mins of a game.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You really don't think every FG coach in the NRL doesn't have a plan, including Pay? I was watching him with a couple of assistant coaches the other day sketching out plays on a whiteboard for the game against the Knights, just like he does every week. Our problem is we lack the kind of game management to execute them properly. Like it or not at least Foran knows how to execute. His body may not let him do it but he knows it. Frawley/JMK/Lichaa/Mbye just couldn't do it.
Agreed, every FG coach in the NRL does have a game plan. If Frawley/JMK/Lichaa/Mbye couldn't execute, or are not able to, due to their limited skills, don't you think it's up to the coach to implement a suitable practical plan? If the spine deviated from his plan and tried some heroics then that's a different story. Against the Titans our spine looked disorganized, disinterested and communication was poor. Hard to tell if Foran would have made a difference.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
SBW debut in the centres, played a full game and ripped Parra apart. I don't ever remember him playing only the last 10 mins of a game.
Best debut I have ever seen
Made Lyon look pedestrian

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I won’t lose sleep over him moving to Sharks
Sharks forwards chain passing and successful 2nd phase play is going to suit Woods.
In 2017, Wests had the highest number of passes between forwards, one of the reasons Woods looked good. Wests biggest issue was incomplete sets, resulting from pushed 2nd phase play, something the Sharks are more disciplined at.

Time will tell if the Sharks, now in possession of the best ball playing pack, can integrate this chain passing and successful 2nd phase play, with their fast heavy spine shifts and roving five-eight.

Souths have been able to accomplish this, by limiting each forward to touch the ball once per set.
This keeps the props and lock fresh and together the heavy hitters, bombard the defense on one edge in waves and numbers.
Thus dragging and compressing the opposing forwards from the middle to this edge.
Using their whole spine with fast heavy shifts, they expose channels and exploit overlaps from middle to the other edge.

This style could have worked well for us if Klemmer was encouraged to off-load more and we had a ball playing lock, instead of using workhorses and a 2nd rower. Des started experimenting with this style, which was created by Bellamy, by trying to develop Klemmer as a lock. Although we had a good ball playing prop in Graham, Tolman was found wanting and Kasiano/Eastwood were too unfit, the reason he overextended the cap and got Woods. If we didn't lose Graham to Saints, I believe our season would have been a lot different. But like they say " In hindsight, we are all great coaches ".

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One huge problem with the polynesian players is they seem to lack stamina. They are great athletes for short bursts, but not for a long stint.
I think thats the problem with To'omaga Taulau, and a few others. Pay seems to know this.
Maybe something to do with our fitness trainers or standards allowed by our club. If Pay knows about this, it's on him for allowing it to continue. These are professional 1st grade players not part time park players.

Polynesian players like Jason Taumalolo, Agnatius Paasi, Tohu Harris, Corey Harawira-Naera, Joseph Paulo,Tevita Pangai jnr, Andrew Fifita, Joe Ofahengaue, Patrick Mago, Sam Tagataese,
Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Ben Matulino, Josh Aloiai and the aging Iosia Soliola to name a few all seem to put decent minutes for other teams. I watched Samoa vs Tonga last weekend, they didn't seem to lack stamina. In fact, way they are progressing, Tonga are close to challenging England and New Zealand for that number 2 spot.

Sam Kasiano's increase in fitness and stamina is a good example.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In some games he only played last 10 mins bro, but not on his debut. Like you said, he played a full game in the centers against Parra. In that game and in round 2 against Cronulla, he was filling in for Matthew Utai, who was suspended. Willie Tonga was our other center, but after Matthew Utai returned from suspension and Ben Harris recovered from injury, SBW was used as an interchange back rower.

In 2004, his debut season at age 18/19 he started in 2 games and played in 13 games as interchange. That year Roy Asotasi was the big minutes interchange, Cory Hughes and Reni Maitua were both injected into various positions off the bench, whilst SBW shared the interchange with Jamie Feeney and Dennis Scott.

In 2005, he only started in 3 games and played in 2 games as interchange because of a severe knee and minor shoulder injuries.
In 2006 he started in 15 games and played in 6 games as 'big minutes impact' interchange.
From 2007 to 2008 he started in all 32 games.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Best debut I have ever seen
Made Lyon look pedestrian
I remember that day, I bet Lyon will not forget it either. First Willie Tonga made him look like a fool for our 1st try, then later on SBW smashed him like a Mac truck. He must have been so happy we only played Parra once that year.

The next year, Lyon packed his bags fast, bought a one way ticket and high tailed it to England. He spent 2 years there, grew some balls and came back to join Manly.

He fell in love with some imposter coach named Des, also known as the gobbler. They bought a frilly club in Oxford street, until the gobbler ruined the love nest by hanging around at the wall in King's Cross dressed in drag.
In 2008 when we were cursing SBW for betraying us, Lyon was so elated he threw a huge party, bum up dressed all macho in leather. Des made amends by popping out of a cake dressed as a fairy.

Later that night they made up and now live happily ever after.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That game when he started. I forgot who we played, but we had like 1 set in first 10mins and all we did was tackle and stuck on our own line. And even when we got the ball finally we had to take it up from our own tryline. At the 15-16min mark he was replaced and never got back on.

I understand taking him off and putting Klemmer on, but, Pay should have given him another spell on the field that same game. By not doing so it knocks the kids confidence.

Without sounding racist etc, a lot of these young polynesian kids thrive on confidence and should be given an opportunity to show that, instead of being given minimal game time.

I have watched them in new cup and they do show they have the ability to be potential top quality FG players. Just think Pay goes about it so wrong and shows his rookie stature as a coach.
I don't see much ISP but my take is that if a player is ear marked for the top grade, the ISP coach should at least try to play him for the full 80, I'm no coach but although the ISP coach wants to win that comp, it is the NRL comp we should be trying to win, playing the full 80 in ISP should help with the players development IMHO.

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
I want him to shut up and play football.
The guy is average, at best and until he shows some consistency, he should concentrate on his own game and worry less about being a “leader”
BTW, I’d have no problem telling him that to his face.
Do you think he puts his hand up to speak to the scumbag media? It’s in their contract’s that they need to be available a select number of media and public appearances at the clubs request , he’s a young fella trying his best , we all need to be a bit more mellow in our criticism on and off the field , just want fellas wearing the jersey who love it and will do whatever is required to get us back to the top , and Elliot leaves nothing on the field , he’ll get there , cheers man no hard feelings aye , love the dogs like you

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He played no different, including his weekly play the ball fuck ups
Did he get penalised for not playing the ball with his foot?

I have watched 3 or 4 games recently of other teams and no one plays the ball with their feet and no one gets penalised just the Bulldogs and Woods. Fuck I hate the NRL refs bunch of cocksmokers that ruin watching the game.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Auckland teenager made his first grade debut with the Bulldogs with a mountain of expectation on his young shoulders. Williams was regarded as one of the best junior prospects ever to come out of NZ – a wrap that Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes did his best to hose done before the start of the season. Although used sparingly from the interchange bench as a centre or back rower early in the year, he made his Test debut in the ANZac Test after 5 first grade appearances. Williams quickly grew in confidence and his impact value was an integral factor in the Bulldogs’ unstoppable grand final momentum. He ultimately won a premiership (again from the interchange bench) in his debut season but the long season started to take its toll when he was used as a starting forward for the Kiwis in the 16-all draw against Australia in October and in NZ’s unsuccessful Tri Nations campaign. Injuries limited him to just 5 matches in 2005 (and no Tests) and although he returned to the NZ Test team for the 50-12 loss to Australia in May 2006, injury again ruled him out of Tri-Nations selection at the end of the year.

- ALAN WHIT

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Did he get penalised for not playing the ball with his foot?

I have watched 3 or 4 games recently of other teams and no one plays the ball with their feet and no one gets penalised just the Bulldogs and Woods. Fuck I hate the NRL refs bunch of cocksmokers that ruin watching the game.
The problem is that refs have tip sheets for players they are reffing just the same as the players have on each other. Woods has been a serial non-play the ball properly player for years so they keep a particular eye on him and that is why he gets pinged every week yet others who only do it occasionally don't.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem is that refs have tip sheets for players they are reffing just the same as the players have on each other. Woods has been a serial non-play the ball properly player for years so they keep a particular eye on him and that is why he gets pinged every week yet others who only do it occasionally don't.
If that’s the case Woods should have copped the tip by now

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They all do it. I just wish the refs would play it how they see it they shouldn’t allow a player to get away with blue murder just because of who they are. Everyone should be treated equal within the rules. The system is corrupt

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeap. If the refs didn't influence our close losses against the broncos, souths, panthers, sharks and dragons we would be in a better positon on the ladder. Wish Pay grows a set and give it to them when they screw us.

Status
Not open for further replies.