Bulldogs open door for SBW return 12 years after he walked out

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Sonny Bill Williams flew back into Sydney almost 12 years to the day after he walked out on the final four years of his Bulldogs deal. The ironies were many: he was landing in his home city with two contracts, and the blessing of the game’s governing body.
More than that, he is a wanted man at the Bulldogs, a club he paid $750,000 to extricate himself from in 2008.

‘‘We are not dumb money,’’ said Stu Laundy, of the Laundy family, the Bulldogs’ new naming-rights sponsor. ‘‘We want an involvement in the club. I see my dad, Arthur, having a role like Nick Politis at the Roosters — a wise man who can help with a football team that he loves.’’
Laundy has history with Politis’ new prize asset, Williams. Two years ago, he stepped into the boxing ring with SBW for charity to raise money for Reverend Bill Crews’ Exodus Foundation.
Advertisement

‘‘He broke my rib,’’ Laundy said. ‘‘But I got to know him and I have to say I have never met a nicer man. And there is no question he has qualities that we’d like to bring to the Bulldogs. I know he has a deal with the Roosters, but after that ... well we’d like to throw our hat into the ring for him. I’ve talked to Khoder [Nasser, Williams’ agent] and I’d like to talk with him again.
‘‘I have to admit that I’m a Roosters fan and I’m happy for Sonny, but my dad, my sisters, Danielle, Justine, and my mum, Margaret, are all Bulldogs for life and there is no question that, like them, all Bulldogs people who want to bring back a steel to the club would want Sonny Bill back.’’
Sonny Bill Williams left the Bulldogs in 2008.

Sonny Bill Williams left the Bulldogs in 2008.CREDIT:GETTY

Politis will take personally any attempt to land SBW’s signature. The Roosters supremo regards Williams as one of his great signings — if not his greatest. He made Cooper Cronk a life member after two title wins. If Williams delivers another title, Politis will have to do that and more.
Politis worked around the clock to bring SBW back and believes Williams will work for the Roosters once he finishes playing. He hasn’t left anything to chance regarding Williams’ cameo, sourcing everything from halal meat to a gym for the star’s quarantine stay.

The Bulldogs are desperate to reboot the club and know Williams would be beneficial for their culture and maybe even their on-field chances.
"I've never come across a more impressive leader and as we try and establish our culture and recapture the 'family club' feeling, Sonny would be a huge asset," Laundy said.
Meanwhile, SBW is treating his quarantine seriously.

Sonny Bill Williams arrived in Sydney on Thursday evening and headed straight for hotel quarantine.

Sonny Bill Williams arrived in Sydney on Thursday evening and headed straight for hotel quarantine.CREDIT:GETTY

He was required to sign a document to be sent to the Rugby Football League — the governing body for league in the UK — to acknowledge his twin-contract situation with the Roosters and Toronto Wolfpack. The document was delivered to Williams and he had to wear a pair of gloves when signing it. SBW and his entire family were tested for COVID-19 prior to travelling to Australia and got the all clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get .... f’d!!!

amd you think Foran or Bird would be bad business.....
Agree, how is signing $BW, Foran and Bird building for the future when they are all injury prone and on their last years. Seriously this would be just stupid.

Invest in players we will have for five plus years, not five games then break down.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does it bother anyone else that the Laundy's have been a sponsor for two weeks and already they're in the media every two seconds talking about the influence they want to have? Politis is the chairman of that club. Your family are sponsors. Maybe put tens of millions into the club and help us win comps like Politis has first before you start putting yourselves in that category.

This is just another Weidler fluff piece blowing $BW and the Roosters. He's not coming back and no one wants him back. He'll probably do fuck all for the Roosters this season anyway. I'm sick of hearing about this mental midget.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Agree, how is signing $BW, Foran and Bird building for the future when they are all injury prone and on their last years. Seriously this would be just stupid.

Invest in players we will have for five plus years, not five games then break down.
SBW isn't what he does in the field, not anymore. It's his training, his health and acting and being professional. He changed the roosters, and when the roosters couldn't get over the hump to the next level with peirce they got the most professional player in Cronk to go that next level. Cronk has now implemented being a pro in Keary and other young guys.
I hated SBW for what he done but if him coming back helps us with culture, professionalism, development, training and recruiting than I'm happy.

Reactions: GDR

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
SBW isn't what he does in the field, not anymore. It's his training, his health and acting and being professional. He changed the roosters, and when the roosters couldn't get over the hump to the next level with peirce they got the most professional player in Cronk to go that next level. Cronk has now implemented being a pro in Keary and other young guys.
I hated SBW for what he done but if him coming back helps us with culture, professionalism, development, training and recruiting than I'm happy.
Agree
My only concern is what is best for our club.

If the Laundy's can get us a fair go off DT/Newscorp, improve our standing and success, then it's up to the Board to control them in such a way that its mutually beneficial.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
SBW has had chances to come back before and not taken them. He still has a contract with Toronto for 5 million next year, why would he pass up on that for a feel good story?
If he did come his value is off the field because I think we'll see when he turns out for the Roosters that the NRL is past him.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like what SBW did to our club as much as anyone on TK. However it appears that very few realise that young people can be easily manipulated and led, it (appears) to me that some arsehole was used to get into his ear and turn him against our club , and eventually he became unhappy then one thing led to another. It is of no surprise that of those invited to Politis's special dinners is named Nassar.
Laundy's are business people and think that prising SBW away from the rotters and back to our club will be great publicity for both themselves and our club. SBW should know (or should be reminded) that it was our club who gave him the opportunity to establish the profile and fortune he now has.
It is never good business to keep looking back and holding grudges, all successful business people know this.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Made up shit by Weedler...... Not one quote from the club. I wouldnt want this guy to return , even if he played for free.
Agreed and no one at the club talks to weazel

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's professional about walking out on your club and teammates in the middle of the season without telling anyone?

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m not sure why people are unsatisfied with Stu Laundy’s view. The Laundy’s group are perfectly positioned to setup and TPAs though their subsidiaries.

Sponsorship is about promoting a brand, if the Laundy’s get value from their decision to sponsor the Bulldogs then it will certainly help with extending the future deals.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
What's professional about walking out on your club and teammates in the middle of the season without telling anyone?
He didn't without anyone knowing, like a pro lol. I hated him for many many years and probably still do a bit. But I'm jealous of the roosters and if he had some input in what they are than Im happy to deal with it. He apologized many years ago on TV and that's good enough for me . Remember anasta mason Shrek all left before hand for issues with the club, SBW just did it in shit way advised by wrong people

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The NRL doesn't need Sonny Bill, its all a bit cringeworthy seeing the Roosters accommodate anyone anytime, why don't they bring JT back while they are at it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He didn't without anyone knowing, like a pro lol. I hated him for many many years and probably still do a bit. But I'm jealous of the roosters and if he had some input in what they are than Im happy to deal with it. He apologized many years ago on TV and that's good enough for me . Remember anasta mason Shrek all left before hand for issues with the club, SBW just did it in shit way advised by wrong people
Don't get me wrong, I've gotten over it but I'm not going to forgive and forget.. I just don't think he's the champion player and professional people make him out to be.

He always goes wherever the most money is and deserves no credit for the Roosters winning comps. They were winning before and after his stint there. Anyway, I'm sick of talking about him. He's 35 years old and way past his best yet the media hype him up as if it's the 21 year old version.