Bulldogs on fast track to success under Barrett

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Bulldogs on fast track to success under Barrett
Author Todd Balym
Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:01 AM

Canterbury winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak believes the Bulldogs will be a far greater attacking threat in 2021 after new coach Trent Barrett overhauled their preseason program to adopt a faster and more game simulation-based training environment.

With a trio of key backline recruits including halfback Kyle Flanagan, fullback Corey Allan and winger Nick Cotric joining the club, Watene-Zelezniak said he’d noticed significant improvements at Belmore already in the preseason and he expected a much better performance under Barrett in 2021.

“(Barrett) has really pushed our culture at the moment with the four pillars that he has,” Watene-Zelezniak said.

“Also in training everything is high speed, everything is fast. Everything is moving all the time which is game-like.

“And his knowledge in attack and things he brings to our team through that area is just second to none.

“I feel like we’re on the right track. I don’t want to put too much pressure on the new boys coming in, their job is just to come in and do their job. If everyone does their job and the team is working well you can win any game you want.”

After four seasons without reaching the finals, Watene-Zelezniak knows Canterbury are under pressure to show significant improvement this season.

But regardless of any external opinions, he believes they’re making the right moves internally to be a far greater threat this year after finishing 15th in 2020.

“This has probably been the hardest preseason I’ve ever done and in saying that the hard ones I’ve had I’ve had a good year and the team has done really well so we’re looking forward to this year,” he said.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do. I guess the stereotype has to change. I guess the predictions of where we’re going to be and what we’re going to do has to change. I don’t mind that.

“People will have their opinions but what really matters is what’s within us and inside our culture and what we want to do as a team. We will be our biggest opponents this year.”

Watene-Zelezniak will once again captain the Maori All Stars on Saturday and has spent the past week in Townsville preparing for Saturday’s clash with the Indigenous All Stars.

While he has been away in Townsville the club has been forced to deal with an off-field incident involving lock Adam Elliott and former Dogs hooker Michael Lichaa, resulting in police charges for their ex-teammate.

The matter is being investigated by the NRL Integrity Unit.

“I haven’t heard too much. I’m just really focused on this week,” he said.

“By the sounds of it, it sounds like a personal matter so I will leave that with the club and with whoever is involved.”

Go Dogs

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“I haven’t heard too much. I’m just really focused on this week,” he said.

“By the sounds of it, it sounds like a personal matter so I will leave that with the club and with whoever is involved.”
great job by the PR team in getting this statement across for the boys. any other reply woulvdve been fuel for some dimwitted article.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this is not just a <insert year> article where they are bringing back the madness and culture but actually play fucken smart footy

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what our structures in attack look like. Also keen to see the pace we play with and the ball movement/offloads under Baz. It will be a stark contrast to the predictable block plays of the last ten years. Finally we have our first attacking coach since Ted Glossop.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what our structures in attack look like. Also keen to see the pace we play with and the ball movement/offloads under Baz. It will be a stark contrast to the predictable block plays of the last ten years. Finally we have our first attacking coach since Ted Glossop.
I hope we end up playing with much less structure, instead relying on players making decisions based on what's in front of them.
If the players have developed sufficiently & understand their roles they can be relied upon to more often than not make the correct decision which will lead to a far more entertaining & potentially successful team.
This may be unrealistic with Baz only having one offseason & a undoubted need to work on fitness, however hopefully it will happen in time.
I am so sick of the same plays being run by robots with no ability to read play or what's in front of them & react accordingly!!

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't wait for the start of the season and gauge what's on track, and what needs further tweaking. This is the most optimistic I've been for the club for a while. Not expecting miracles, but am hopeful of some good times throughout the year.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait for the start of the season and gauge what's on track, and what needs further tweaking. This is the most optimistic I've been for the club for a while. Not expecting miracles, but am hopeful of some good times throughout the year.
Yep my sentiments exactly, well said Wrestler!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope I’m wrong but I’m not sure if DWZ’s hands will be able to keep up with the increased speed of the game. Hopefully he’ll be able to do his job on the wing, which is his job.
Its like playing in a shit band. When everyones just casual your not going to play well as a unit. The amount of times ive read dumb footy in regards to our team the last couple of years.
When you have a band leader that knows music, can actually write good songs and everyone in the band practices for a common goal, well you lift your game. Everone feeds off each other and improves.
Im hoping this is the case with everyone in the team.
Some will obviously improve more than others.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its like playing in a shit band. When everyones just casual your not going to play well as a unit. The amount of times ive read dumb footy in regards to our team the last couple of years.
When you have a band leader that knows music, can actually write good songs and everyone in the band practices for a common goal, well you lift your game. Everone feeds off each other and improves.
Sounds like TBaz helping pack some of the instruments away...Am I ever gonna see your face again...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dylan Edwards hands were exactly the same as DWZ's in 2019. The next year he was safe as houses. A lot of our players will play better in a competitive roster. 2022 we'll have a top 8/competitive roster. Our roster and coaching staff has improved overall this year.