News Bulldogs-NRL 2020 season review:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We will make the 8 next year, that’s just my thought, we only lost games by fuck all, even against top 8 teams. We tried hard, just missed the polish an execution... with TBAZ an a few good signings we will be FAR more competitive in 2021, new year,new start and a lot to look forward too..!!!

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
From how Panthers started the season they gained a lot of confidence and self belief. I think the biggest reason is Koroisau. It's like when Cameron Smith doesn't play for the Storm they're still a very good team. It'd be different if they went into the season without him. Every player is going to credit their coach and coaching staff. Pay was also credited by his players. "As is" is now and without recruitment. If we do recruit how we should then I'm with you, there's a small chance we can snag that last finals position. We've had since last November (11 months) and we have <6 months until the 2021 season starts. Our hands are also somewhat tied due to players we want being on contract.
There are some subtle differences in the examples you used... Storm have basically had a dynasty the last 10 years so If one player is out it’s not the same as a team who didn’t make the finals and then the next year is having a cracker year. Storm always needed a contingency due to Smith playing origin year on year. And Jacko and a few others have said they felt Pay was trying hard and blamed themselves for the losses. They defended their coach. I haven’t really heard (unless I missed it) players say Dean has taken my game to another level or I think Nathan Cleary said Baz has been massive for me - something along those lines that’s why I think he can help our attack improve. But my view is not just cause of the coaching staff but the rosters spots should and I expect to be filled with quality. Top 8 would be the goal not sure if we can get there yet but like I said we shouldn’t be anywhere near the spoon. We have the major sponsor reportedly getting involved in recruitment... to me that indicates every one involved in the organisation knows we must improve at all costs.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There are some subtle differences in the examples you used... Storm have basically had a dynasty the last 10 years so If one player is out it’s not the same as a team who didn’t make the finals and then the next year is having a cracker year. Storm always needed a contingency due to Smith playing origin year on year. And Jacko and a few others have said they felt Pay was trying hard and blamed themselves for the losses. They defended their coach. I haven’t really heard (unless I missed it) players say Dean has taken my game to another level or I think Nathan Cleary said Baz has been massive for me - something along those lines that’s why I think he can help our attack improve. But my view is not just cause of the coaching staff but the rosters spots should and I expect to be filled with quality. Top 8 would be the goal not sure if we can get there yet but like I said we shouldn’t be anywhere near the spoon. We have the major sponsor reportedly getting involved in recruitment... to me that indicates every one involved in the organisation knows we must improve at all costs.
I agree with you if we fill those last roster spots with quality. If we don't I think we're closer to the spoon than finals. Wait and see I guess.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite simply I think there are several factors that warrant optimism. A former Australian half as coach who has been credited with having a big influence in the way Penrith are currently attacking will be coaching us moving forward. How many games did we lose by 8 points or less? Especially when we had enough good field position to win but came up short in the attacking zone. And that is without Foran playing in a few of those also. Elliot out injured. On top of that you wouldn’t be releasing the amount of players we have if you didn’t have a plan in place for recruitment and my strong gut feeling is there are more signings to be announced. Betting on us to make the 8 is a 50/50 call in my opinion but to get the spoon or close to it I highly doubt. Everybody at the club would know how important it is that we have a much better season and we are in position to do so with new coaching staff and roster spots to fill.
Great to see some positive comments,u forgot to mention,that a lot of the games we lost,were from our own stupidity,one game against the sharks,they scored 3 tries from uncontested kicks,our attack will get better now tolman Montoya,and the likes are gone,some good youngsters,I’m sure we’ll make the 8

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
God bless the Bulldogs - they try so hard, but they just don't have enough quality on their roster to compete with top sides.
It's been a tough few years, and while things may start to improve under Trent Barrett, it is going to take a bit of time to rebuild their squad to the level needed to play finals footy.
Nick Cotric is a representative winger and has the ability to score tries - but he can't do that if he isn't receiving quality ball from quality playmakers.
That is exactly what the Bulldogs are lacking, especially with Kieran Foran departing next year and new signing Blake Green set to miss the start of the season as he recovers from an ACL injury.
Their forwards are probably their strong point with the likes of Josh Jackson and Raymond Faitala-Mariner, but QLD Origin prop Dylan Napa has been below his best this season and needs to improve.
If they are to climb the ladder next year, Barrett needs to find a high-quality halfback and probably a hooker as well. Jeremy Marshall-King is solid, but would be better suited off the bench as a utility.
VERDICT: Bottom four once again, possibly the wooden spoon.
Probably a hooker? 1000000 percent a hooker

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
In reviewing the season I would like to look at the positives, RFM had a breakout season, was awesome on the left edge, Doorey in limited game time looked good as did Averillo. I am still not sure where Averillo's best position is, but also don't like him moving around everywhere, just put him at centre or 5/8 and then leave him there the whole season and see how he goes. I am with the people that say in the absence of a key signing need to play Hoppa at right centre, he is our best player and doesn't really influence the game at right centre, especially when Lewis is on that side, but shores up our defence and Meaney is OK (sort of) at fullback. Problem with next year is I don't know how we play Elliot and Jackson in the same side, they are too similar in that they are smallish forwards that are good tackle machines, at the start of the season when we had Elliot, Jackson and Hoppa at centre our defence was ok, but attack was shit. I would like to see Doorey and Waddell on an edge, RFM in the middle and Jackson at 13, not sure that will happen though. Just don't think we can play Elliot and Jackson in the same 13, would mean our forward pack would be too small and lack penetration.