News Bulldogs-NRL 2020 season review:

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
God bless the Bulldogs - they try so hard, but they just don't have enough quality on their roster to compete with top sides.
It's been a tough few years, and while things may start to improve under Trent Barrett, it is going to take a bit of time to rebuild their squad to the level needed to play finals footy.
Nick Cotric is a representative winger and has the ability to score tries - but he can't do that if he isn't receiving quality ball from quality playmakers.
That is exactly what the Bulldogs are lacking, especially with Kieran Foran departing next year and new signing Blake Green set to miss the start of the season as he recovers from an ACL injury.
Their forwards are probably their strong point with the likes of Josh Jackson and Raymond Faitala-Mariner, but QLD Origin prop Dylan Napa has been below his best this season and needs to improve.
If they are to climb the ladder next year, Barrett needs to find a high-quality halfback and probably a hooker as well. Jeremy Marshall-King is solid, but would be better suited off the bench as a utility.
VERDICT: Bottom four once again, possibly the wooden spoon.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As it stands yes I can’t see as not finishing in the bottom 4 but 3-5 new signings in key positions could take us all the way up to 6th-9th spot I believe. Let’s hope that happens it’s been a long past 5 years we as a club and supporter base deserve nothing less. If not achieve I’m sorry but the board must walk to many broken promises

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Need to see some signings and a big scalp.

Brandon Smith, Jack Hetherington... These are a good start.

Patrick Herbert has been told he's not needed at the Warriors. He's a great finisher and at the least is a reliable depth signing.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I doubt we will be anywhere near the spoon next year.
With this current squad that's very optimistic. Are you making that prediction assuming we'll recruit what we'll need that'll make a difference? If we don't recruit a top hooker (as well as a couple to a few other good signings) it's going to be VERY hard. People set their expectation way too high last season and got burnt. If we don't bring in the talent we shouldn't be expecting anything. We dodged a bullet this year not getting the wooden spoon, let's not put ourselves in a position where it can happen again, please...

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think we will be somewhere around 11-14 next year. We have had elliot, stimson, hoppa, napa, foran and a few others out injured this year for long periods. With the addition of cotric and hopefully another half we might be able to build some consistency but we will still lack enough class to push for an 8 spot in my opinion. The good thing is that i think that all changes with a few key players signing on (hopefully)

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We'll be lucky to get out of the bottom 4. But we'll be far more consistent and competitive

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
With this current squad that's very optimistic. Are you making that prediction assuming we'll recruit what we'll need that'll make a difference? If we don't recruit a top hooker (as well as a couple to a few other good signings) it's going to be VERY hard. People set their expectation way too high last season and got burnt. If we don't bring in the talent we shouldn't be expecting anything. We dodged a bullet this year not getting the wooden spoon, let's not put ourselves in a position where it can happen again, please...
Quite simply I think there are several factors that warrant optimism. A former Australian half as coach who has been credited with having a big influence in the way Penrith are currently attacking will be coaching us moving forward. How many games did we lose by 8 points or less? Especially when we had enough good field position to win but came up short in the attacking zone. And that is without Foran playing in a few of those also. Elliot out injured. On top of that you wouldn’t be releasing the amount of players we have if you didn’t have a plan in place for recruitment and my strong gut feeling is there are more signings to be announced. Betting on us to make the 8 is a 50/50 call in my opinion but to get the spoon or close to it I highly doubt. Everybody at the club would know how important it is that we have a much better season and we are in position to do so with new coaching staff and roster spots to fill.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Quite simply I think there are several factors that warrant optimism. A former Australian half as coach who has been credited with having a big influence in the way Penrith are currently attacking will be coaching us moving forward. How many games did we lose by 8 points or less? Especially when we had enough good field position to win but came up short in the attacking zone. And that is without Foran playing in a few of those also. Elliot out injured. On top of that you wouldn’t be releasing the amount of players we have if you didn’t have a plan in place for recruitment and my strong gut feeling is there are more signings to be announced. Betting on us to make the 8 is a 50/50 call in my opinion but to get the spoon or close to it I highly doubt. Everybody at the club would know how important it is that we have a much better season and we are in position to do so with new coaching staff and roster spots to fill.
It's hard to know how much of an influence Barrett has had on the Panthers but I also think it's hard to argue the biggest reason why the Panthers have done what they have this year is because of their buy of the season in Koroisau. Last season they had a hooker worse than ours (Maybe Kenny is better but he didn't play until the back end of last season).

The Titans and Warriors have made a dent in recruitment for 2021 already, the Cowboys new coach Payton this year has shown more to be excited about than Barrett. Which teams do you actually see us beating, favourites to beat? I think the answer is no one.

I agree CHN and Okunbor ruined our season before it began and Elliott and Hopoate's injuries were also massive but when I compare our roster to other teams even at full strength it's still hard to find a win anywhere. I guarantee you as it stands we'll be favourites for the wooden spoon for 2021 in the betting. This is why to me it's really bizarre you think it's more likely we'll make the eight over getting the wooden spoon.

Until we make a dent in recruitment for 2021 (players like Brandon Smith, Burton and Staines) it's really hard to see any significant change. Our roster has always been our biggest concern. We have spots to fill obviously, but if they're signings like Waddell it won't be good enough.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
if we can add Burton, Staines, Herington and a hooker, we are definitely in the mix for bottom of the 8 IMO.

Malla

Reaction score
I think 10th-7th next year is more realisitic.

Just having a new coaching staff with a sense of direction alone will be enough to get this squad on track. I think having Cotric there will lift the standard somewhat, and our forward pack on paper is great. Luke Thompson the last 2 weeks has shown that front row is his position. Has been carrying us. He will only get better and having Elliot back will make his life easier too.

If we can snare a couple players before next season ie. Burton, Staines etc, we could be anything.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's hard to know how much of an influence Barrett has had on the Panthers but I also think it's hard to argue the biggest reason why the Panthers have done what they have this year is because of their buy of the season in Koroisau. Last season they had a hooker worse than ours (Maybe Kenny is better but he didn't play until the back end of last season).

The Titans and Warriors have made a dent in recruitment for 2021 already, the Cowboys new coach Payton this year has shown more to be excited about than Barrett. Which teams do you actually see us beating, favourites to beat? I think the answer is no one.

I agree CHN and Okunbor ruined our season before it began and Elliott and Hopoate's injuries were also massive but when I compare our roster to other teams even at full strength it's still hard to find a win anywhere. I guarantee you as it stands we'll be favourites for the wooden spoon for 2021 in the betting. This is why to me it's really bizarre you think it's more likely we'll make the eight over getting the wooden spoon.

Until we make a dent in recruitment for 2021 (players like Brandon Smith, Burton and Staines) it's really hard to see any significant change. Our roster has always been our biggest concern. We have spots to fill obviously, but if they're signings like Waddell it won't be good enough.
Well to answer your question about who we could beat next year it’s very hard to say until we see the form of sides but I’ll say all the teams we nearly beat this year but just lost by a close margin including the games we couldn’t close out.

I get it you think we will be wooden spoon favourites at the tab “as is” but it’s not going to be “as is” due to roster spots to fill. Elliot actually let the cat out of the bag when he said Baz had told him to stay as the team will look totally different next year. So once again he has a plan.

Koroisau made a big difference and he’s great around dummy half - he provides a lot of spark but have you watched the games he didn’t play that Penrith still looked very threatening in attack? And not just the rumours that Baz is coaching attack but the players themselves crediting him for helping their game? I think everything points to being a better season than we just had. What I find bizarre is people not reading the play here. Each to their own I guess and time will tell.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well to answer your question about who we could beat next year it’s very hard to say until we see the form of sides but I’ll say all the teams we nearly beat this year but just lost by a close margin including the games we couldn’t close out.

I get it you think we will be wooden spoon favourites at the tab “as is” but it’s not going to be “as is” due to roster spots to fill. Elliot actually let the cat out of the bag when he said Baz had told him to stay as the team will look totally different next year. So once again he has a plan.

Koroisau made a big difference and he’s great around dummy half - he provides a lot of spark but have you watched the games he didn’t play that Penrith still looked very threatening in attack? And not just the rumours that Baz is coaching attack but the players themselves crediting him for helping their game? I think everything points to being a better season than we just had. What I find bizarre is people not reading the play here. Each to their own I guess and time will tell.
From how Panthers started the season they gained a lot of confidence and self belief. I think the biggest reason is Koroisau. It's like when Cameron Smith doesn't play for the Storm they're still a very good team. It'd be different if they went into the season without him. Every player is going to credit their coach and coaching staff. Pay was also credited by his players. "As is" is now and without recruitment. If we do recruit how we should then I'm with you, there's a small chance we can snag that last finals position. We've had since last November (11 months) and we have <6 months until the 2021 season starts. Our hands are also somewhat tied due to players we want being on contract.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
we still have 5 spots to fill in the 30 for next season.
As it stands now I agree we are bottom 4.
But if they get 5 quality players including a good 9 & 7 or 1 then things may be better than with the new coaching staff.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
God bless the Bulldogs - they try so hard, but they just don't have enough quality on their roster to compete with top sides.
It's been a tough few years, and while things may start to improve under Trent Barrett, it is going to take a bit of time to rebuild their squad to the level needed to play finals footy.
Nick Cotric is a representative winger and has the ability to score tries - but he can't do that if he isn't receiving quality ball from quality playmakers.
That is exactly what the Bulldogs are lacking, especially with Kieran Foran departing next year and new signing Blake Green set to miss the start of the season as he recovers from an ACL injury.
Their forwards are probably their strong point with the likes of Josh Jackson and Raymond Faitala-Mariner, but QLD Origin prop Dylan Napa has been below his best this season and needs to improve.
If they are to climb the ladder next year, Barrett needs to find a high-quality halfback and probably a hooker as well. Jeremy Marshall-King is solid, but would be better suited off the bench as a utility.
VERDICT: Bottom four once again, possibly the wooden spoon.
I agree - with Cotric as our only real quality signing, we will struggle again next year unfortunately.
Cotric might even lose his NSW spot.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
most predictions post season for the following year and pre season predictions are so far from the mark. 10% strike rate i reckon

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bit early to be making predictions for next year. I'm sure there'll be a lot of player movement which I hope we benefit from.
Yep exactly. If we dont make any more signings for next year then of course we will struggle. But that is extremely unlikely and I think its reasonable to say we will sign at least 4 or 5 quality players.

Also our attack will improve under Barrett. For the past 5 years we have relied on block plays but the game has gone well and truly past that.

I must admit though I am not as optimistic about next year as I was before Saturday. We had competed well in most games this year but we got a reality check against Penrith.

The thing to remember when predicting our finishing position for next year is that there are alot of ordinary teams in the comp. The sharks made the 8 for christ sake.