Bulldogs mourn stalwart Lloyd White but his son Sean will continue to shine at club

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THERE will be an empty place in the Canterbury dressing room this afternoon.

The Bulldogs fear there might be two, and so they wait.

For many years, gear steward Fred Ciraldo picked up Lloyd White and sonSean at their home and drove them to wherever the game was that day. Some days across to Cronulla, others down to Canberra or, like this Saturday, up to Newcastle.

It was their small ritual.

Lloyd died on Tuesday, though. He fought cancer until there was no fight left and went quietly, leaving the Bulldogs to mourn.

He was a mainstay in the Bulldogs dressing room. His job description was the best kind, the kind the Bulldogs value most. He was a former player. A Bulldog for life. He needed no other qualification.

Terry Lamb remembers Lloyd in the dressing room in 1984.

That was Lamb’s first season at Canterbury, not Lloyd’s.

How many years he was there before that is lost in time. He played at the club before he became a changeroom mainstay and that’s near as much as anybody knows.

Sean and Lloyd White with Bulldogs captain James Graham.

They do know he played six first grade games for the club. Four in 1959 and another two, four years later, in 1963. In and around there he played another 108 lower-grade games.

Canterbury is such a club that Lloyd, having paid his dues, was welcome for as long as he wanted to turn up.

When Lloyd’s son Sean was born with Down syndrome, Lloyd began bringing Sean to the dressing rooms as well. Sean has grown up in the changeroom and not a bit of it surprises Lamb. It is the club he knows.

“It’s important to remember where you come from and who you are,” he said.

And although times change the Bulldogs know priorities. What is important and necessary to keep sacred against what needs to evolve.

As dressing room security has tightened and only those with a legitimate reason to be in the dressing room were allowed past, Lloyd remained.

He stayed through many decades, more coaches and countless players, who all learned the importance of Lloyd’s place in the dressing room.

Two years ago Lloyd and Sean were jointly awarded the Bulldogs Employees of the Year.

Not that Lloyd couldn’t change with the times. In those early years he always cracked a beer in the dressing room after a win.

Lloyd White (backrow, right) with the Bulldogs reserves in 1963.

When dressing room cameras became a fixture of modern coverage he made a concession to changing times. He poured his beer into a Gatorade cup and drank it from that.

Other than that, he stayed remarkably consistent. There as much for his boy as the years went on as he was for the club.

The Bulldogs find balance in Sean.

They burst through dressing room doors after a big win and celebrations go nuclear and there is Sean moving through them and wishing they would get out of the way so he could get on with his job of tidying the dressing room. Throwing tape in the bin, sweeping, all the important stuff.

Other times Des Hasler has sat them down after a bad loss and begun surgically tearing strips from them. The dressing room is always quiet, edgy. Plenty look at their feet.

And here comes Sean, sweeping through the middle of them, annoyed they won’t lift their feet, looking to get his job done because that’s what he did.

James Graham remembers a time, after a pained loss, Sean handed him a beer. Graham is a leader, the first to stand and last to fall. He could think of nothing worse this day, which he was still wearing hard, until his eyes panned from the stubby up to Sean, smiling.

“Actually, you know what mate?” Graham said. “Cheers.”

Sean White celebrates the Bulldogs’ 2004 grand final victory.

Lloyd’s funeral is Monday.

The Bulldogs play Newcastle at Hunter Stadium today and they head north unsure if Sean is up to the trip.

“It’s hard for me to know the inner workings there,” Graham said.

“The boys absolutely love Seany, they really do. And even though his dad’s not around any more we hope this goes on forever.”

Of course it will. This is Canterbury, after all.

“Nothing is going to change,” Lamb said. “Everything will stay the same.”

They know part of the responsibility surrendered by Lloyd, with his death Tuesday, now falls to them.

They will care for him and protect him, as much as possible.

“There are a lot of cogs that go into the wheel and without people like him it all breaks down,” Graham said.

Graham is unsure whether Sean will be there today. He understands, with the funeral on Monday and his dad’s death still so fresh that Sean might need some time for himself and he completely understands all of it.

He will look for him, though.

Source

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rip Lloyd and may Sean be surrounded by caring and supportive people .

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Beautiful story with a sad ending .... R.I.P Lloyd

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Massive condolences to Sean.

There are things left unspoken within a footy club and even I did not know the full story behind Lloyd and his son Sean although I have seen them at games. Lloyd did not play many first grade games but that is not what defines a true mainstay of the club.

I have a cousin who has Downs Syndrome, most loving and gentle person I know and to her routine is important, so that it why I reckon, my gut feeling in this is , although the loss of his dad will still be very raw for Sean he will make the trip to the ground today, just like he has for so many years. He will do his game day thing of cleaning the sheds and being with the boys, just like he has since he was a young lad.

Lloyd and Sean obviously hold a special place in the heart of the boys and I hope that when they lace up their boots and take to the field this afternoon they give a thought to both of them and remember just what it is that makes this great club so special. Physical absence of one will be keenly felt, perhaps both, but within the minds of the boys they will both be there.

What brings it all home is the quote from Baa Lamb “It’s important to remember where you come from and who you are,” he said. Now those are fine words and I have heard them many times before in one of the kennel chants " Everywhere we go, people want to know
Who we are, where we come from
So we tell them
We are the Bulldogs, mighty, mighty Bulldogs....

I am off to Newie now and I will certainly spare a thought for both of them. Hope I see Sean there...

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I never knew why Sean was in the dressing room, sad we had to learn about it this way. RIP Lloyd.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
RIP Loyd.

The players that don't make big names for themselves get overlooked/criticised by fans all too often. But its nice to hear that some of them dedicate a part of their lives to the club regardless. Loyalty like this is part of the foundation of any club and I think that is going to be harder as time goes on to find people like Loyd both because clubs aren't willing to keep a lot of fringe first grade players round and because the players themselves seem more willing to move on. Brad Morrin is the last player I can think of who had a long career in the lower grades.

If this article hadn't appeared I would never have known who the White family were. I've seen Sean in many dressing room photos and never given a thought to why he was there. Condolences to Sean and the rest of the White family at this painful time. I sincerely hope that Sean remains a fixture in the dressing rooms. We are the family club and I hope the club continue to treat Sean like one of their children.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sad to read of the passing of Lloyd. I always wondered who the Downs Syndrome guy was in the change rooms.

Hope the club continue to look after him, after his fathers passing.

Black armbands for sure today... do Lloyd White proud Dogs.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is the best article ive ever read about the club

Status
Not open for further replies.