Bulldogs Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In all the kerfuffle of the make up of the Board, an interesting comment was made regarding longevity etc. and I thought what a great idea for a thread. Of course we will all have different opinions on different topics but we are all united about our team.
So this thread is to share your memories, the great players we have had, the great matches we have seen, the amazing players from other teams.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't have a long history as a fan but the best comeback I've seen was the 2014 Ennis led "rise from the dead " grand final .

I was on the edge of my seat during every finals game !
Inspirational stuff

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
I think it was 2005, during the last few rounds of the horrible injury filled year when Sherwin kicked the ball down the field to Karmichael. Grimauldi chased the ball like a man pocessed and stole the ball and pushed karmicheal to the ground in one movement and scored a try.

My favourite memory out of all the games I went to.

A

Alexander the Great

I don't have a long history as a fan but the best comeback I've seen was the 2014 Ennis led "rise from the dead " grand final .

I was on the edge of my seat during every finals game !
Inspirational stuff
you and the love for Ennis... impressive

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I vividly remember the 1981 season. Coming off an unbelievable 1980 premiership win, the Dogs only signed 1 Player, Neil Baker from Newcastle. He was Les Johns’ nephew. None of the 1980 premiership winning squad was lost but that team never played together again. Dr George was hampered by a knee injury and played only 5 games but the real issue was a glandular fever outbreak that completely crippled the team. Anderson missed 12 games, Garry Hughes missed 11 games, Mark Hughes 10 games, Robbo and Brentnall missed 8 games. The cause was put down to communal baths. But despite that, unbelievably the Bulldogs lead every game that year at half time and scored the same number of tries as their premiership winning year. It was very disappointing that we were so close but it was the start of a rebuild phase that culminated in the Warren Ryan era and our next phase of success.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a life threatening accident in country NSW in August 1980. My uncle in Sydney went to training and the club gave me a George Peponis jersey signed by all the players, a ball signed by the players, and an album with signed A4 pictures of all the players with personal messages. Inside the front cover are wonderful words from Peter Moore, Peponis and Ted Glossop. I was wearing a bulldogs scarf when I fell around 150 feet and the scarf wrapped around a pole about 130 feet up. Peter Moore wrote "the Bulldogs colours have never flown so high". Peponis and Chris Anderson also rang me in Dubbo Hospital. And the best bit - 6 weeks later we won our first comp in 38 years. Can't describe how much that all meant to me as a young teenager.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
10 best moments

-1980 GF
-1984/85 back to back victories
-1991 vs sharks - we had to win last game of the round to get to a playoff with West’s. We were down at halftime and Jonathan Davies ripped the sharks apart , for a win.
-1995 semi against st George ( dean pay had a blinder)
- 1995 vs cowboys - last game @ Belmore for terry lamb - we won 66-4.
-1998 semi’s win against Newcastle ( down 16-0 at half time )
- 1998 semi win vs Parra ( down 18-2 with 9 mins to play)
-2002 win against Newcastle
-2003 win against rooster during season
- 2004 gf against roosters
- 2014 semi win against sea eagles

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I vividly remember the 1981 season. Coming off an unbelievable 1980 premiership win, the Dogs only signed 1 Player, Neil Baker from Newcastle. He was Les Johns’ nephew. None of the 1980 premiership winning squad was lost but that team never played together again. Dr George was hampered by a knee injury and played only 5 games but the real issue was a glandular fever outbreak that completely crippled the team. Anderson missed 12 games, Garry Hughes missed 11 games, Mark Hughes 10 games, Robbo and Brentnall missed 8 games. The cause was put down to communal baths. But despite that, unbelievably the Bulldogs lead every game that year at half time and scored the same number of tries as their premiership winning year. It was very disappointing that we were so close but it was the start of a rebuild phase that culminated in the Warren Ryan era and our next phase of success.
Wow, i didn't know that. Great piece of Trivia!

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
10 best moments

-1980 GF
-1991 vs sharks - we had to win last game of the round to get to a playoff with West’s. We were down at halftime and Jonathan Davies ripped the sharks apart , for a win.
Great list

A

Alexander the Great

10 best moments

-1980 GF
solidm

2002 was hazem from the sideline right?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was the "magic sponge". Before water bottles, the players used to suck on the sponges. This outbreak stopped that.

Status
Not open for further replies.