News Bulldogs look to future with fresh roster for upcoming season

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree completely. Each time he let in a try you could see it on his face that he was thinking "shit not again". The sad thing is he was actually trying very hard. By round 5 he was completely lacking confidence. I definitely know that Montoya has capability. MY only fear is whether he can move on from 2018. He just needs to forget about 2018 and back himself.
Montoya is a good winger / centre. If he has CHN inside him, he will have a great year.
He found it difficult last season when he had to do the defensive work of both winger and centre.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Montoya is a good winger / centre. If he has CHN inside him, he will have a great year.
He found it difficult last season when he had to do the defensive work of both winger and centre.
He didn’t have to at all. He made them both look like a goose because he kept rushing in out of his position.

He didn’t tackle for either of them.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Your post is actually quite intriguing. I never looked at it this way. If you break down the team like the way you did it actually shows that all of the boys have at least one positive/ comparative advantage over others. All of them have potential to be something very special.
I have always believed Players must have special talent to make first grade, some have incredible talent but all are separated by how individually they commit to the professionalism of playing football...that goes for everything in life !!!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He didn’t have to at all. He made them both look like a goose because he kept rushing in out of his position.

He didn’t tackle for either of them.
Montoya wasnt the problem in that situation. He had a very poor centre inside him who was missing tackles.

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Even if those defensive reads weren't Montoya's fault - which I actually think they were - he is far too slow for a winger.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Montoya was equal third for try causes last season and he only played 15 games lol.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if those defensive reads weren't Montoya's fault - which I actually think they were - he is far too slow for a winger.

I never implied he didn't make bad reads, I'm just saying he looked even worse because of the players inside of him marking 2-3 players on his own. Anyway, I would play Hoppa at wing and Meaney at the back

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Montoya continually come in and not staying on his man waiting for d to slide leaving an overlap every time like perret used to do

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Montoya is the least of our worries. Although Des put him on big dollars like he did with Abbey. In terms of taking up cap space he is lower on the list.

Let's not forget we have two over paid duds in our roster.

Number 1 being Floporan and number two Tolman.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tolman may be overpaid, but he's not a ''dud'' ..every team needs workhorses

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Montoya continually come in and not staying on his man waiting for d to slide leaving an overlap every time like perret used to do

Didn't help when Hoppa was lazy asf at centre which I think was his way of showing Deano that he was not impressed about Mbye taking the number 1, especially since Will is a much better 1 than Moses.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Smith will will have a good year getting around defenders with his pace and Meaney should start at fullback if he is faster than Hoppa, wanna see fast backs next year.
While there is some doubt how we will go without Klemmer and the Moz's, Pay has time to squeeze the best out of them and develop the likes of Lewis.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spot on

Our d structure for 3/4 of the season was fkd! The only reason the twins adapted was because they are world class and experienced

Pay needs to overhaul both d and attack

Just let Georgallis take over defence
I think Lewis tagging on the left helped the twins too..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that we could surprise a few people next year.. unfortunately we do not have the depth to feature in the finals for mine, however we will improve on this year and come close to a top 8 birth in my opinion..
I said the same thing for 2018, and was deeply disappointed. Not holding out hope of improving on that result, but looking forward to seeing some of the new recruits in actions.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I said the same thing for 2018, and was deeply disappointed. Not holding out hope of improving on that result, but looking forward to seeing some of the new recruits in actions.
I actually didn't expect that much last year, new coaching staff, serious salary cap issues with a need to shed players. Which always meant that it would be the higher paid ones that had to go, shedding lower paid players was not going to make enough of a difference, the hole was that deep. Losing higher paid players, commonly but not always the best players, affects the team in multiple ways. Obviously you don't have them in your team and they are in other teams playing against you. Plus it disrupts what ever pre season training you might have had. But the most debilitating is the affect it has is on those that stay, they lose their mates, guys they have shed blood, sweat and tears with, some for more than one season. Plus, until the salary cap compliance in locked in, there is always the thought of "who's next, is it me"?

Once that was complete and the coaching staff had time with the players left they started to play as a team and the results were effen obvious. With a whole pre season and more stability (yes, not total stability, but certainly more) I expect to see a better team than we saw for the last half dozen games last season. I see the recruiting (of new players) as being secondary to the team building with the existing guys. That's why the team drills, ball skills, working with each other I see as being so encouraging.

Go Dogs