Opinion Bulldogs look short of metres without David Klemmer

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I'm completely honest, I'm going miss klemmer. So will the team. But good players come and go, we will manage.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The comparison in the article is totally flawed.

They compare Klemmer's 2018 stats with Sue and Napper but don't talk about minutes played or how they were each used.

Napa was used almost entirely off the bench and I'm assuming Sue was as well? Klemmer was a starting prop and played huge minutes each game.

If anything, I think our other forwards didn't achieve as many metres because Klemmer is such a dominant ball runner, there was an assumption Klemmer would make the metres, and some of our props were still fresh and weren't up to it last year.
don't let facts get in the way of a good smear campaign ...

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perspective

Klemmer made post contact metres and allows defence to reset due to his slow ptb

Klemmer also plays monster minutes

I’m not concerned

Off the top of my head pretty sure we beat Knights and Broncos without him last year

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perspective

Klemmer made post contact metres and allows defence to reset due to his slow ptb

I’m not concerned

Off the top of my head pretty sure we beat Knights and Broncos without him last year
I watch the Brisbane game on the weekend and see quick play help make all our breaks in that game

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Perspective

I’m not concerned

And we lost a lot of games with him playing. We didnt lose because of him, not saying that, but he wasnt what we needed to change the results. Havent made the 8 with him for a few years now. Our forwards made more metres than most sides last year but we didnt take advantage of the metres. Id rather we get more metres and tries out of non forwards. This is what we we are missing. A better overall attack and using the bench well will easily make up for Klemmer.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we had the best metre eater in the comp last year and were in contention for the spoon. Meanwhile the Roosters were without any noted metre eater and won the comp. other NRL teams don’t need a Klemmer to do well and neither do we. We’ll be better for sharing the load across the whole pack.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck Klemmer.... that is all.

Yeah fine he made metres, but he gave away stupid penalties and lacked any sort of impact when it came to bending the line.

At least our new recruits in Napa and Sue should hit the line like madmen and try to tear through it.

Besides the bookies also missed that Tolman punches out big metres most games too. Last seasons injury we showed how much we missed him.

And metres isn't everything.. you make more metres from hitting the line and offloading, than doing a Princess Klemmer, hitting the line, backing into it, and letting the play die.

Roosters and Storm forwards don't punch out big metres, but they keep play flowing.
Well said and so true

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
The bench looks strong enough to help cover the loss.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
david klemmer is worse than a snitch

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Klemmer got massive metres. But he also had slow as fuck play the balls. He’d always end up on his back because he kept fighting in the tackle. On his back he’d have a spaz attack and be so slow to his feet. These days mobile props are the way to go as they submit when contact is made, don’t fight for extra metres, land on there stomach and get quick PTBs. If only we had a nifty quick hooker who could capatilise on those quick PTBs.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Clipboard pen pushing people who write articles like this have no clue about footy and sport for that matter -

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure Klemmer churns up the metres but bear in mind that a lot of those are from the kick off. I reckon he makes at least 80-90 metres from restarts.
It’s the most overrated statistic in the game. About as relevant as rebounds are in basketball.
I don’t think Klemmers absence is a massive hole. Napa and Sue will more than adequately fill the void.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
meh. so he made the meters.
how many times did he off load in the tackle or had a quick play the ball. By the time he was on his feet the opposition was in his face... nothing missed.
Our team looks fitter and more agile. They have a good attitude and if they can gel well - those games we just lost last year become winnable.
There is your top 8. Wooden spoon my arse. Experts can write us off at their own peril

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So lose one forward and gain 4. Yep makes sense, if anything we will make more metres now.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah couple have said it already, post contact metres! Post contact metres would be a good stat providing that the run prior to the defensive line is at speed and is with impact. The reality with Klemmers runs always consisted of, grab the ball flat footed, build up minimal speed, undo it with a silly goose step which slows him down again followed by half pace connection with the defensive line. Then add on the turn your back while walking backwards earning these "post contact" metres. Thus allowing the opposition a huge amount of time to return and reset their defensive line for the next tackle. The odd occasion when he ran onto the ball with speed he could add impact, it wasn't every tackle though. I really don't think we will miss him in any way shape or form tbh.