Opinion Bulldogs look short of metres without David Klemmer

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
THE numbers just don’t stack up — Canterbury’s engine room have metres to make up in 2019 or they’ll be damned.

When enforcer David Klemmer departed Belmore at the end of last year, he took a staggering 175 metres a game along with him as he finished the top metre-eating prop in the NRL.

This hasn’t been missed by the bookies, who have installed the Dogs as $3.50 wooden spoon favourites for the new season — and is a major reason why they are being written off without a ball being kicked in anger for 2019.

The Bulldogs have recruited Dylan Napa and Sauaso Sue to fill the gaping Klemmer void, but according to Fox Sports Lab stats, together they combined for less than what Klemmer produced per game last year.

Napa ran for an average of 71 metres and Sue averaged 92 metres for a combined total of 163 metres. Combined, that’s still 12 metres short of Klemmer’s weekly haul.

But backrower Rhyse Martin, who had a breakout year for the Bulldogs, isn’t concerned. He’s confident Napa and Sue can fill any void left behind by Klemmer.

“I think the blokes that have come in Dylan Napa and ‘Jesse’ Sue have really stepped up,” he said.

“With the squad we have got now, we don’t have too many big names in there.

“But the boys that we do have are tough and hardworking and they are going to be massive for us this year.”

Despite competition for places across the backline and upfront, depth and class at the club remains a problem.

Coach Dean Pay has at least eight different options, including Will Hopoate, Nick Meaney, Reimis Smith and Christian Crichton, for his back five.

There’s a lot of depth there as well and all are quality players,” Martin said.

“Jayden Okunbor was playing unreal when he finished his season off in the (Intrust Super Premiership).

“He’s very similar to Reimis Smith in that he’s a big body and very awkward to tackle and runs the ball hard.

“Christian Crichton’s hard to handle as well, he’s really powerful. And there’s Marcy (Marcelo Montoya). I think they’ll be really good.

“There is nothing better than being a forward when your back five are running past you off a kick return.”

The Bulldogs had a forgettable 2018 but ended the season with four wins from their last six matches.

Martin warned against anyone dismissing the Bulldogs.

“People can think what they want. I think the way the squad is at the moment and the brand of footy we are playing that we are really going to shake this competition up again this year,” he said.

“We weren’t horrible last year, we just couldn’t finish off very well and that’s something we’ve worked hard on this pre-season and I think we’ve gone up another level.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/cb26e70a77778c4d22544c3f0abacd78

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fuck Klemmer.... that is all.

Yeah fine he made metres, but he gave away stupid penalties and lacked any sort of impact when it came to bending the line.

At least our new recruits in Napa and Sue should hit the line like madmen and try to tear through it.

Besides the bookies also missed that Tolman punches out big metres most games too. Last seasons injury we showed how much we missed him.

And metres isn't everything.. you make more metres from hitting the line and offloading, than doing a Princess Klemmer, hitting the line, backing into it, and letting the play die.

Roosters and Storm forwards don't punch out big metres, but they keep play flowing.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who ?? Can’t remember the bloke hahaha..!!!

Bring it on.. Klemmer is gone an good riddance,we will be fine without him and a much happier paying group.

Last edited:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Spoon favorites are they kidding. Parra, raiders or warriors are in a worse place than us. Klem post contact was what got him big numbers but didn't really punch through the line. His play the balls were quick I will give him that . But if we play flat and fast direct footy be don't need guys who lack lateral movement. Our mobile pack will get the job done.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Whoever wrote this needs to look at Parra's 8-13 and bench and think again about possible spoon contenders.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think Dylan can fill the gap if you make him play the minutes klemmer did.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blah blah blah, the sky is falling down.... stick the spoon up your arse sideways.

I guess any shit you manage to type out is news these days.
The 'experts' picked parra top 4 last year and dogs to get spoon. How'd that go for them

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The spoon will come from left field ..

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing the don't say klemmer plays the ball so slow and defensive line almost always get set making the next play ineffective especially in the attacking third.

The good teams are so well drilled they happy to defend the line multiple sets.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The report commented that "we didn't finish off very well". Thats very true. I think the main reason for that was the lack of an effective leader.
JJ is a great player, but he hasnt cut it as a skipper yet. I still remember that Raiders game. We should have won that but the leadership was missing.
I just hope Dean Pay has revved him up a bit about his leadership. Having Kieron Foran there will ease the load a lot though.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s not like Klemmer’s meter eating has done us that good over the last few years anyway. The defensive line relaxes when Klemmer takes a hit up because they know exactly what they are going to get. Reimis Smith and Crighton (if he plays) will really help get our sets off to a good start and it’s up the forwards to step up and replace Klemmers meters.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
injuries normally have a strong impact on the spoon.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
'Post contact metres' to be more precise. initial metres before the line and quick play the balls will allieviate this issue. All hangs on our kicking game and Lichaa

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
'Post contact metres' to be more precise. Less initial metres before the line and quick play the balls will allieviate this issue. All hangs on our kicking game and Lichaa
you took the words out of my mouth.. The Hitup after Klemmers runs was always a struggle due to his sluggish play the balls. So yeah Klemmer looked like the hero, but I bet his team mates weren't thrilled taking the next hit up with a perfectly set, fast approaching defensive line.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The comparison in the article is totally flawed.

They compare Klemmer's 2018 stats with Sue and Napper but don't talk about minutes played or how they were each used.

Napa was used almost entirely off the bench and I'm assuming Sue was as well? Klemmer was a starting prop and played huge minutes each game.

If anything, I think our other forwards didn't achieve as many metres because Klemmer is such a dominant ball runner, there was an assumption Klemmer would make the metres, and some of our props were still fresh and weren't up to it last year.