Official Bulldogs local junior Jayden Okunbor signs for further two years

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is on the cusp of either being a gun nrl winger or park footy player he has the potential but its up to him to fix his deficiencies

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So many people rub themselves raw over Bronson Xerri and he has dick fingers as bad as Jayden too. It takes time for these young guys to get used to NRL football.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So many people rub themselves raw over Bronson Xerri and he has dick fingers as bad as Jayden too. It takes time for these young guys to get used to NRL football.
Difference is Xerri hasn't shown that he's got bad hands when coming through the grades, all of Okunbor's deficiencies were quite evident in juniors and reserves

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think it's needed. To re sign him isn't about the positive of keeping a junior but more about the negative reflection on losing another junior. If that makes sense.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking dick fingers.. I just lost it. :tearsofjoy:

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it took lichaa 3 games to geta new contract and only 1 game for okunbor

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hassler will be testing him this week, They will be bombing the shit out of him, if he can cut it we're a big chance in this game
Yes i am confident as well, like our chances of winning hopefully we will get a fair crack from the refs

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hassler will be testing him this week, They will be bombing the shit out of him, if he can cut it we're a big chance in this game
Yes i am confident as well, like our chances of winning hopefully we will get a fair crack from the refs
dont be too certain of that .. i recall years of Halser coaching not targeting opposition weaknesses . he just love sticking to the script regardless of the situation and struggles to be adaptable..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully other player managers and players see this and sign up.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/05/02/no-place-like-home-for-okunbor-as-bulldogs-seal-deal/

Canterbury rookie Jayden Okunbor says he is relieved to have secured his future at the Bulldogs for a further two seasons after fearing over the summer he would be told to look elsewhere.

Okunbor penned a two-year contract extension on Monday after a bright start to his NRL career, knocking back any potential offers rival clubs had planned for the Milperra junior beyond the 2019 season.

It's understood Okunbor had interest from cross-town rivals Wests Tigers, while former Bulldogs and now Manly coach Des Hasler was also a fan of luring the 22-year-old to the northern beaches. Rather than test himself on the open market, the back-rower turned winger was blown away by Canterbury's method of making a straight-up show of interest to retain him after uncertainty earlier in the year.

"It was good to get it out of the way, it was something I've always wanted to make it happen this week is cool," Okunbor said of his extension on Wednesday.

"The club came to us, came up with a deal and it was done quick. It's everything I wanted, I've worked hard in the pre-season. There were times I didn't know what was going to happen, a stage there I wasn't sure of my future so putting pen to paper meant a lot to me. I think my performances have given the club [reason to put] a bit of faith in me. I hope I can repay the fans this week."

It caps a remarkable 12 months for the local product, who grew up with older brother Jackson and was raised by his father Victor, of Nigerian heritage, and mother Donna in the Belmore area.

He transitioned as an edge forward to the backline last year as the Bulldogs lifted the Intrust Super Premiership title, and in the opening five games of his NRL career he's already experienced the highs and lows of the top grade.

"I've only played there a year now and am finding my feet well," he said of the wing spot.

"It's a lot harder and my body is still getting used to it. Playing NSW Cup you recover quicker whereas [in the NRL] come Wednesday you're still feeling it come the weekend."

While Okunbor's long-term goal is to become the Bulldogs' greatest ever African athlete, he's looking up to the likes of Blake Ferguson as a benchmark winger in the game.

"They're all good, I try and model myself off a few of them," he said. "Blake Ferguson is killing it and is one of the best in the game. If I can be anything like that I would be pretty happy."

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes certainly worth persevering with ,the next 2 years are make or break for him if he fixes his errors he will be a weapon