Official Bulldogs join forces with Mounties for the next 2 seasons

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

To view this email as a web page, go here.
We are excited to today announce that we will be joining forces with Mounties Group for the next two seasons and in doing so will create an enhanced pathway that will provide great opportunities for boys and girls all the way from junior level through to the NRL and NRLW.

As part of the joint venture Mounties will represent the Bulldogs in the Canterbury Cup and Harvey Norman Women’s Premiership, while the Bulldogs will continue to look to the future through the development of their junior pathways. This will mean the continuation of the male (Harold Matthews, SG Ball and Jersey Flegg) and female (Lisa Fiaola, Tarsha Gale) teams playing under the Bulldogs banner.

The success of the junior pathways in recent times has seen the likes of Brandon Wakeham, Jake Averillo and Matt Doorey come through to the NRL, while Stephanie Ball and Haneen Zreika have represented the Bulldogs Tarsha Gale Cup side.

In a major coup for the club, former Bulldogs player Mick Potter will coach the Mounties men’s side in the Canterbury Cup next season.

Potter had an illustrious career with the Bulldogs in the eighties, winning the Dally M Medal for Player of the Year in 1984, in addition to playing in two successful Premiership teams for the blue and whites in 1984 and 1985.

After his playing career had finished, Potter turned his attention to coaching and had immediate success in the English Super League, taking the Catalans Dragons to the Challenge Cup Final in 2007, the first time a French side had made the Final in only their second season.

He followed this by taking St Helens to two Super League Grand Finals, before returning to coach the Wests Tigers between 2013-14.

Potter was delighted to be able to resume his association with the Bulldogs:

"I am excited about taking on the coaching role at Mounties and to be able to resume my association with the Bulldogs and getting to work with some of the exciting talent that they have coming through.

The role will enable me to work closely with incoming coach Trent Barrett and will have enormous benefit for both clubs as it will provide a great pathway to develop players ready to step up to NRL level the way the likes of Brandon Wakeham and Jake Averillo have in recent years."

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill was excited about the potential offered by the joint venture and the appointment of Potter :

“This new partnership offers a real opportunity for both parties to create something special in terms of the support we can offer young boys and girls coming through the pathway to the NRL and NRLW competitions and the appointment of someone of the calibre of Mick Potter to coach the men’s team is a real coup for the club.

With the recent impact of COVID-19 and the pressure that has put on clubs to look at different ways to achieve outcomes, we felt that partnering with a club that has a great history, and is located in the heartland of our supporter base, will create combined resources that can help us both achieve success.

Our Junior Pathway will remain the same. That is important to remember. It will not impact on any 6-21 year-old, male or female player coming through, but what it will do is allow us to create a stronger pathway through to the next level and help the Bulldogs assist in the promotion of rugby league in the local community."

With over 150,000 Members and a great infrastructure, Mounties Group is the biggest club in the state and we believe that this new joint venture can help deliver great results for both organisations in the years to come."

Mounties Group President, Kevin Ingram, OAM, also looked forward to the partnership :

“Mounties Group is delighted to formalise this affiliation with the Bulldogs which will see our talented young sport stars have access to a local club for future pathways in the NRL,

The Bulldogs are a huge part of our local community in Western Sydney, with many of our members being fans of the club and we are delighted that it will help Mounties to continue to grow and excel in sport.”
Round 17 - Member Ticket Redemption On Now!
You are receiving this message as a subscriber of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.
This email was sent by: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
1 Edison Lane, Belmore, NSW, 2192 Australia

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Smart move. Not decimating the Bulldogs brand either as some predicted. Having an established and financially strong partner to strengthen our access to talent coming through into the top grade and better still, having a better chance of retaining that talent and not see them go off to other NRL clubs. Mick Potter is a great appointment to coach the Canterbury Cup side and should work well with Trent Barrett going forward. Look forward to seeing the benefits of this move pay off in future seasons and restoring the Dogs as a NRL powerhouse again.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
good moves being made, on the back of the laundys joining us and now mounties we look to be building strong partnerships with brands that are well established. Heres hoping that we can successfully leverage off each other and get the club back to where it should be

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mick Potter as Reserves coach is a good move. I'll wait and see if we get any decent players out of the partnership with Mounties before I get excited about it.

It helps the club as a cost cutting move but hopefully we see more of a return in terms of talent than we did with the previous QRL, CRL, High School and other regional partnerships.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Smart move. Not decimating the Bulldogs brand either as some predicted. Having an established and financially strong partner to strengthen our access to talent coming through into the top grade and better still, having a better chance of retaining that talent and not see them go off to other NRL clubs. Mick Potter is a great appointment to coach the Canterbury Cup side and should work well with Trent Barrett going forward. Look forward to seeing the benefits of this move pay off in future seasons and restoring the Dogs as a NRL powerhouse again.
The access to talent is the exciting part for me. Particularly with depth. Always used to find it weird and bit frustrating when Canberra would debut young kids from Mounties.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a bit of stretch for the CEO Andrew Hill to describe the location as being in our supporter heartland.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It also looks like Mountys looking to buy Wyong rsl. Would give even a bigger footprint with Wyong being in the central coast region. All positive signs for the future. As Wyong where or are Roosters aligned

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Shit. Next.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
very poor and strange decision IMO. I wrote in another thread, i am involved in the Parramatta Juniours, Mounties are very small in the juniour league and not a "major" club like Wenty, Cabra or Hills Bulls. The dogs were with Cabra, who are one of the biggest and strongest clubs. So i can only assume Mounties are paying the dogs, but it is a huge backwards step in terms of quality juniours.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
very poor and strange decision IMO. I wrote in another thread, i am involved in the Parramatta Juniours, Mounties are very small in the juniour league and not a "major" club like Wenty, Cabra or Hills Bulls. The dogs were with Cabra, who are one of the biggest and strongest clubs. So i can only assume Mounties are paying the dogs, but it is a huge backwards step in terms of quality juniours.
I'm a nobody but I can't see this as anything other than a cost saving measure like so many other decisions the club have recently made.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
It’s a bit of stretch for the CEO Andrew Hill to describe the location as being in our supporter heartland.
Mate, I grew up there and still have family..all either Bulldogs or Eels out that way.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did we stop affiliation with Cabra?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
pretty sure cabbra stopped there comp because of covid, if anybody else wants to chime in
the association is for next year and beyond, cabra only pulled out for this year only, and get this this most of their players went to other teams for this year. It was a poor decision from Cabra to pull out

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the association is for next year and beyond, cabra only pulled out for this year only, and get this this most of their players went to other teams for this year. It was a poor decision from Cabra to pull out
Yes i heard that, you cant blame the kids really, most of course would of pulled the pin on the club and joined other clubs.Having a crack here but are the steve who was coaching the under 14 campbelltown region development team?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes i heard that, you cant blame the kids really, most of course would of pulled the pin on the club and joined other clubs.Having a crack here but are the steve who was coaching the under 14 campbelltown region development team?
no mate in Parra Juniours. it was very unfair on the kids what cabra did, i agree