Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Margie McDonald
Senior Reporter
Sun 26 May 2019, 10:01 AM

"Great man and great Bulldogs legend."

That's the epitaph Des Hasler would write for former Canterbury-Bankstown forward Steve Folkes.

In 2012 as the incoming coach at the Bulldogs, Hasler spawned the idea of a state-of-the-art high performance centre, with altitude rooms, anti-gravity treadmills, all the latest rehab and recovery gear basically.

Hasler sowed the seed and around $12 million and six years later the Steve Folkes High Performance Centre will be officially opened by the son and daughter of the late Bulldogs forward, Hayley and Daniel.

It's been just over a year since Folkes suffered a heart attack, while exercising at home. He was 59.

But in the only NRL game being played at Belmore Sports Ground in 2019 – Sunday's round 11 match against Melbourne Storm - the Bulldogs club and its chair, Folkes's sister-in-law, Lynne Anderson, has brought the HPC to life.

Hayley and Daniel Folkes©Canterbury Bulldogs
"Steve believed that 'preparation is everything' and he showed everyone that anything can happen if you put your heart and mind to it," Anderson said.

"He wasn’t the biggest or the fastest, but he took great pride in being the fittest and it is only right that we have named our gym the Steve Folkes High Performance Centre in honour of a great Bulldog legend."

Lynne's younger sister, Karen, married Folkes but she died in 2013 from cancer, aged 55. Both women were daughters of former chief executive Peter 'Bullfrog' Moore, who led the club for 26 years (1969-1995).

Hasler remembers the grit and gumption of Folkes.

"One of Steve's great attributes was that he never shied away from hard work," Hasler told NRL.com.

"So it is very fitting that the Bulldogs should name the HPC after him.

"It's a great gesture for a great man, great clubman, and Bulldogs legend. Vale, Steve Folkes."

Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill said Folkes had left an incredible mark on the club.

"We saw that just over 12 months ago at what was a very moving tribute to him at Belmore.

"The club, the ground, has been such an important part of his life and that of his family.

"He had a very unique history having played here, and being the strength and conditioning coach, and then the head coach… very few people across the game can ever hold those positions and achieved the success he did across all three roles," Hill said.

The interior of the new Steve Folkes High Performance Centre©Canterbury Bulldogs
He was a member of Canterbury's famous 1980 "Entertainers" team which won the grand final over Eastern Suburbs and also featured in the premiership wins in 1984, '85 and '88. Folkes played 269 first grade games.

He was the premiership-winning coach in 2004 over the Roosters. After leaving the NRL he coached the Jillaroos for three years.

"With all that in mind, naming the high performance centre after him reflects the huge imprint Folkesie has left on the club," Hill said.

Steve Folkes holds the trophy after the 1985 Bulldogs premiership win over the Dragons©NRL Photos
Members of the 1980 and 2004 premiership-winning teams will be at the ceremony.

Another former premiership winning Bulldogs coach, Chris Anderson (1995), who went on to coach the Australian Kangaroos, knows the connection between Folkes and a gymnasium only too well.

"Steve was a five-eighth who built himself up to a be a 90kg second rower. He played well above his weight, was a superb defender with the hands of a back.

"He perfected a great technique in defence, honed through hours of discipline in the gym," Anderson said.

"That makes the gym a perfect legacy."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...teve-folkes-in-the-best-way/?nrlreferral=true

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
You know what is ironic, Folkes would laugh at the fancy facilities when he represented a tough, simple attitude. Our facilities are making our players soft in the head. Our systems to condition our team mentally is non-existent. We are weak minded and officially have a snowflake culture. Everything the opposite of what Folkes represented.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL ... all they've done is rename the gym!

Quick... sign the board up for another decade over this genius move!

How about start earning your money asking what the actual fucks going on ... on the field.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to clone folkes we could do with a dozen of him way we are going

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What a fucking legend you are folkesy, love the pic of you holding the 85 trophy.. after beating dragons..

I was only 4 at the time, and don’t remember that, but was still in doggs gear at the time no less.

I wish the boys could of WON this one for ya mate, that’s all they needed to do..!!

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
LOL ... all they've done is rename the gym!

Quick... sign the board up for another decade over this genius move!

How about start earning your money asking what the actual fucks going on ... on the field.
That is not their role and you know it. If you don’t like it, become a member and run for the Board yourself

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
never forget how the club got rid of folkes 3 years after winning the title and the 2 previous seasons being a highly impressive campaign losing to the salary cap exempt broncos then making the finals again with a thinner squad

that's Greenberg trying to make his mark so he can show it on his CV

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That is not their role and you know it. If you don’t like it, become a member and run for the Board yourself
I wouldn't want to embarass them in the polls.

It's every bit their job given they extended the contract of an underperforming coach. That's on their head, and if we don't turn around our season very seeon, this current mob might be packing up their offices come Feb 2020.

They've done nothing except offer excuse after excuse.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's every bit their job given they extended the contract of an underperforming coach. That's on their head, and if we don't turn around our season very seeon, this current mob might be packing up their offices come Feb 2020.

Getting quite obvious now they are out of there depth this current mob.
What worked in yester year does not work now.
We need to find some people the grab this club by the balls and take it to the next level to the top. Phil gould is the man
The nostalgia has been great, a great story about Lyn coming back where here father did so remarkably well.
It's not working and it will be never work, we don't have to contacts,nor the business acumen in today's world

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

You can start your quest cleaning up the Storm dressing room and then send them a big letter asking them not to do it again

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
RIP Folkesy, a true Bulldogs legend as a player and a coach. They don't breed em like that anymore.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the greatest to ever wear the Blue and White. There is NO ONE in this current forward pack that would come close to matching the toughness of Folksie...

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nobody involved in the team today that bleeds blue and white more then this man did. Someone else said it but there is nobody with an ounce of his toughness left at the club. I love this club because it’s blokes like Folkesy that made it what it is. We are losing touch with what we have been and what we are meant to be.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This team and coaching staff are a bunch of
There is nobody involved in the team today that bleeds blue and white more then this man did. Someone else said it but there is nobody with an ounce of his toughness left at the club. I love this club because it’s blokes like Folkesy that made it what it is. We are losing touch with what we have been and what we are meant to be.
Agreed. I'll add irrespective of what talent we lack in players or coaching staff, on a day like this it's inconceivable to put in a performance like this. These players and coaching staff are fucking piss weak pretenders that only care about their pay packet. Fuck off with the lot of them

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This team and coaching staff are a bunch of

Agreed. I'll add irrespective of what talent we lack in players or coaching staff, on a day like this it's inconceivable to put in a performance like this. These players and coaching staff are fucking piss weak pretenders that only care about their pay packet. Fuck off with the lot of them
I’m hearing you. Lacking talent I’m fine with. Being outclassed I’m fine with. Being out enthused is a disgrace. The saying Dogs of War is no reflection of talent it’s down to players giving there all for the jersey. The only players on that park that I believe have ever given there all every time are Jackson Tolman and Finucane. We can debate their talent or lack of at times but when it comes to pure grit there was nobody else out there today that gives what they have given when they put on our jersey.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pound for pound the toughest..hardest..fittest forward to play first grade rugby league anywhere.. Small in stature, but still a giant among giants.. Simply..legend.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pound for pound he was as good as anyone. He was very skilful with ball in hand and no one had a better tackling technique or was fitter than Folkesy.He always gave 100% effort and was a clubman of the highest order.
He was probably my favourite forward during the most successful period of our club. and at a time we had numerous, top quality forwards.

R.I.P. Steve Folkes