BULLDOGS HINT AT NEW HALVES PAIRING

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the other 15 NRL clubs are hoping Avo doesn’t play fullback to be honest. Nothing more devastating than a fullback like Avo popping up everywhere in support especially up the middle waiting for an offload. He could well have a breakout year ala Barba 2012
images.jpeg-57.jpg

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think the other 15 NRL clubs are hoping Avo doesn’t play fullback to be honest. Nothing more devastating than a fullback like Avo popping up everywhere in support especially up the middle waiting for an offload. He could well have a breakout year ala Barba 2012
I wouldnt go that far but he would be one of our betta options and worth the risk thats for sure.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think if we can't get JAC or Burton, Schoupp is looking very likely. Size isn't his issue, it'd just have to be mobility, skill and physicality thats the real test.

1 Hoppa
2 Okunbor/Meaney
3 Cotric
4 Schoupp
5 DWZ
6 Averillo
7 Flanagan

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Avo has the ability to play FB or 5/8. However the problem with him at FB is we're left with those 2 duds Wakeham+Lewis as 5/8 if we don't recruit a decent one before next year unless TB can transform another player into a decent 5/8. The team is only as good as it's weakest link and with those 2 duds in our team our chances of winning decreases considerably.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this will be the starting team
1 Averillo
2 DWZ
3 Cotric
4 Hopoate
5 Mansour..........I have a feeling that we will get Mansour & Burton as a deal for 2021
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
8 Thompson......Hetherington
9 Katoa................JMK..............there is a belief that Katoa is a better hooker
10 Ogden..............Atoni
11 RFM
12 Elliott................Waddell
13 Jackson............Napa
I have a feeling that your "feelings" are based on some mail you have so I like it....not a fan of Mansour but I'll take him if it means we get Burton early.
Kotoa vs JMK - if they're our 2 options we're fucked. BTW, do you have a "feeling" that B. Smith will be here in 22? :tonguewink::tonguewink:

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham is absolute rubbish and he has proved that everytime he gets a shot.
At least with Lewis we won some games, with Wakem we've won none. My prediction is that Burton will stay at The Panthers, Lewis or Averillo will play 5/8 and we will finish bottom 4, I hope I' m wrong, but for Button to be offered such a lucrative offer over 2 months ago & still no reply that tells me he is not coming either now or in 2022, for Lewis to come & say Barrett spoke to him on the phone over 3 months ago tells me that Lewis is Barret's plan B for 5/8, if there are no more signings for 2021 then I've lost all confidence in our team and Believe we are in the same position as last year. Flanagen and Cotric can not do it alone. Again I hope I'm wrong.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least with Lewis we won some games, with Wakem we've won none. My prediction is that Burton will stay at The Panthers, Lewis or Averillo will play 5/8 and we will finish bottom 4, I hope I' m wrong, but for Button to be offered such a lucrative offer over 2 months ago & still no reply that tells me he is not coming either now or in 2022, for Lewis to come & say Barrett spoke to him on the phone over 3 months ago tells me that Lewis is Barret's plan B for 5/8, if there are no more signings for 2021 then I've lost all confidence in our team and Believe we are in the same position as last year. Flanagen and Cotric can not do it alone. Again I hope I'm wrong.
Mate I hope your wrong too and I think you are.

The Baz phone call to Lewis means nothing - he called all the players that were on contract in 21. In all of the interviews he has done he has not mentioned Lewis...not even once. I'm sure Baz can see that Lewis is not FG material

Regarding Burton, we have NFI what is going on so we don't know that he hasn't replied yet. I can't imagine the club would be dumb enough to make him an offer and then let him take an eternity to get back to them. I'm sure he has responded and the club already knows the answer...and that is what the guys who have the "oil" have suggested.

Also I'm pretty sure if he had turned us down we would already know about it just like we knew when Charlie Staines turned us down before it was made official. Unfortunately we just have to wait. I'm sick of friggin waiting but that's the only thing we can do.

Baz said we still have 3 spots to fill for next year so our roster will improve.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

The Baz phone call to Lewis means nothing - he called all the players that were on contract in 21. In all of the interviews he has done he has not mentioned Lewis...not even once. I'm sure Baz can see that Lewis is not FG material

Regarding Burton, we have NFI what is going on so we don't know that he hasn't replied yet. I can't imagine the club would be dumb enough to make him an offer and then let him take an eternity to get back to them. I'm sure he has responded and the club already knows the answer...and that is what the guys who have the "oil" have suggested.

Also I'm pretty sure if he had turned us down we would already know about it just like we knew when Charlie Staines turned us down before it was made official. Unfortunately we just have to wait. I'm sick of friggin waiting but that's the only thing we can do.

Baz said we still have 3 spots to fill for next year so our roster will improve.
I think Lewis and Wakeham were both terrible when talking about NRL standards. I've seen enough of Lewis now to know (or at least think) he doesn't have a future in NRL (sorry, just how I see it, I really wanted him to succeed about 1 year ago). I'd say Wakeham has more potential (at least a chance of making it, mainly only having age as his advantage and lack of games) and hasn't had the same chance/opportunity Lewis has had. I do think Lewis has been the better half when comparing the two (so Wakeham hasn't been good either). I just don't think we should have to be in a situation where we're picking between them two (and we're not because we can play Averillo at five-eighth if we don't sign a long term half, e.g. Burton). I think it's almost a lose lose situation.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Lewis and Wakeham were both terrible when talking about NRL standards. I've seen enough of Lewis now to know (or at least think) he doesn't have a future in NRL (sorry, just how I see it, I really wanted him to succeed about 1 year ago). I'd say Wakeham has more potential (at least a chance of making it, mainly only having age as his advantage and lack of games) and hasn't had the same chance/opportunity Lewis has had. I do think Lewis has been the better half when comparing the two (so Wakeham hasn't been good either). I just don't think we should have to be in a situation where we're picking between them two. I think it's almost a lose lose situation.
If we sign Benji then Baz clearly agrees with you. I also agree with you. It's like choosing between shit and shitter :(

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we sign Benji then Baz clearly agrees with you. I also agree with you. It's like choosing between shit and shitter :(
Yeah, and that would mean Barrett doesn't want to shuffle Averillo around if that's the case. Imagine the scenes if Meaney or Hopoate are still fullback and Averillo is in the centres or out of the 13... (if we signed Benji)

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, and that would mean Barrett doesn't want to shuffle Averillo around if that's the case. Imagine the scenes if Meaney or Hopoate are still fullback and Averillo is in the centres or out of the 13... (if we signed Benji)
Yeah I'm pretty sure he said that in one of his interviews...not shuffling players around which is good to hear. If Avo is a FB then leave him there to develop. If he's not ready for FG then he can ply his trade in CC. I can live with Meaney at FB but Hoppa is past his use by date at FB

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope your right.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He called Lewis to ask what hair dresser he uses in Belmore

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tend to agree
Yeah I’m thinking the same. If Burton is a done deal for 22 no point putting avo there next year and moving him out. Best to throw him into the fb role for next year. In saying that though if the fox can somehow wriggle his way out of the heads of agreement and come over next year I reckon he could be great at fb cause I see him a bit like barber with that step and speed. He could be a sensation in that role. Would create a dilemma then for what to do with avo.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure he said that in one of his interviews...not shuffling players around which is good to hear. If Avo is a FB then leave him there to develop. If he's not ready for FG then he can ply his trade in CC. I can live with Meaney at FB but Hoppa is past his use by date at FB
They say they won't until we have a few losses in a row, and then the shuffling begins. As they need to shake things up.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I’m thinking the same. If Burton is a done deal for 22 no point putting avo there next year and moving him out. Best to throw him into the fb role for next year. In saying that though if the fox can somehow wriggle his way out of the heads of agreement and come over next year I reckon he could be great at fb cause I see him a bit like barber with that step and speed. He could be a sensation in that role. Would create a dilemma then for what to do with avo.
Averillo is simply not ready for the requirements of play fullback for a full NRL season, physically or mentally. For example he has next to zero experience arranging the defence, one of a fullback's primary roles. Let alone the stamina as the last line of defence week in week out, thinking organising whilst covering many kilometres in every game.

A year well spent at 5/8 working on his stamina, learning the defence structures of the team and most of all getting himself mentally and physically ready for the demands of playing NRL level every week.

Go Dogs

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think we will get Benji for next year then Byrton.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lewis lovers are in crisis yet again. It was bad for them after Flanagan signed, now with Burton they are stunned.

They will call for Lewis to play utility, lock, centre, etc. Any position you name it, the lovers will try and shoe horn him into a 17 man team.