BULLDOGS HINT AT NEW HALVES PAIRING

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can someone post the article from the DT....

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Terry Lamb backs Kyle Flanagan to shine as Trent Barrett starts pre-season

An early contender has emerged as Kyle Flanagan’s next halves partner, as Terry Lamb, one of the Bulldogs’ greatest ever playmakers, backs the No. 7 to lead Canterbury’s resurgence.

Flanagan has been training one day a week with his new side after joining the Bulldogs on a three-year deal from the Sydney Roosters.

With Flanagan to start at halfback in round one, the pre-season is a chance for the club’s slew of young playmakers to leave their mark on coach Trent Barrett.

Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham and Jake Averillo are all vying for a place alongside Flanagan in the halves in 2021.

It’s believed Barrett, at this stage, is leaning towards giving Wakeham a crack in the No. 6 jumper.

After one full season of NRL at Bondi, coach Trent Robinson told Flanagan he was not part of the club’s future plans.

But Lamb, who played in five grand finals and won three titles during his 262 games for Canterbury, said Flanagan, 22, had the acumen needed to guide the Bulldogs in season 2021.

“There is a lot of pressure on you being a half or a five-eighth, especially a young one, it takes a while to get used to being the dominant player in the team,” Lamb said.

“I watched him play at the Roosters and I think he had a very good mentor there in Cooper Cronk as well.

“I like the way he takes the line on. He’s very positive in what he does, having Cronk there would have been great for his development.”

Lamb, whose name is on Flanagan’s new locker at Belmore, is ready to build a relationship with the young playmaker after new coach Trent Barrett made a point of teaching his side about the club’s proud history.

“I would do it for sure, Kyle is an important part of our club now.

“When I was playing I took a lot of advice from the people I had around me, like George Peponis. I think it’s important to know about the club you’re playing for and I’ll give him some advice when I need too,” Lamb said.

Flanagan won’t return for full-time training for another two weeks, while fellow new recruit Nick Cotric isn’t due back until January after leaving the NSW Blues bubble after game three on November 18.

The former Canberra flyer did however report to Belmore on Monday afternoon to meet his teammates.

Cotric joined the Bulldogs on a lucrative three-year deal until the end of season 2023 and after making a name for himself as one of the competition best wingers is set to start his career as a Bulldog in the centres.

Hard man Jack Hetherington, who Barrett coached at Penrith during his time as an assistant to Ivan Cleary, has started full-time training.

He and fellow new forward Corey Waddell reported for day one of pre-season last week.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So this must mean Burton hasn't signed yet. Or he has signed for 2022.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Wakeham can put on some size before rd 1, under Barrett, the kid can thrive. He is too small at the moment but he has skill, vision and flare. Under Pay and Georgallis the kid had no chance to learn and progress.
It could work out spectacularly or it could crash and burn.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought Averillo was the future after his contract extension, at least we have plenty of depth.
Whoever has the best last tackle short kicking game.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think them tipping Wakeham to have first crack at 6, says more about T-Baz intent on developing Averillo as our Fullback and not waisting a year of that development just because he is our best option at 6 for this year.
IMO, Averillo will be that rock-star Fullback we've been waiting for for a long time - as long as he can get the defensive & organisational side of the game right.

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Wakeham is living off his achievements at school boy level, I have not been impressed by his performances on or off the field. The way he acts is arrogant (going off the few interviews he’s done) similar to Lewis, neither these 2 would be first choice halves at any other nrl team.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Wakeham is living off his achievements at school boy level, I have not been impressed by his performances on or off the field. The way he acts is arrogant (going off the few interviews he’s done) similar to Lewis, neither these 2 would be first choice halves at any other nrl team.
Dunno why confidence is considered arrogance around here

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think them tipping Wakeham to have first crack at 6, says more about T-Baz intent on developing Averillo as our Fullback and not waisting a year of that development just because he is our best option at 6 for this year.
IMO, Averillo will be that rock-star Fullback we've been waiting for for a long time - as long as he can get the defensive & organisational side of the game right.
Totally agree mate.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanagan has said he will be leading the team around the park and organising things so you really need a creative runner to partner him.

Lewis and Wakeham don't have any running game of note while it's probably Averillo's strong point.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan has said he will be leading the team around the park and organising things so you really need a creative runner to partner him.

Lewis and Wakeham don't have any running game of note while it's probably Averillo's strong point.
Averilo is the most likely, but as @Papa Joe said, Averil really needs to be our Rockstar fb as far as I'm concerned.