News Bulldogs hard man Luke Thompson rushes home to England 'in an emotional state' to deal with a mystery family issue

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's not on $800k in our Cap, so more maths needed.

Always a Bulldog
Every report I have seen and every source on Thommo. Consistently has him at 800k per year finishing in 2023. The Bulldogs TPA’s are not high either. So even if he had some TPA’s it wouldn’t be much. He was bought at a very desperate time frame. 100% we paid overs on potential with this deal. I hope everything is okay with him. However the reality is if he leaves we have a lot of cap space suddenly available.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Poor bastard. Can relate being so far away from my family, and one of the biggest fears any person has in his situation.

Just glad that Covid isn't in the way and he can at least get back and see her.

Hope that she improves and it turns out ok for him.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus makes another problem magically disappear. The guy really is a genius.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Every report I have seen and every source on Thommo. Consistently has him at 800k per year finishing in 2023. The Bulldogs TPA’s are not high either. So even if he had some TPA’s it wouldn’t be much. He was bought at a very desperate time frame. 100% we paid overs on potential with this deal. I hope everything is okay with him. However the reality is if he leaves we have a lot of cap space suddenly available.
So what, it's the total that we paid him in Year 1 because it includes the $100k to $150k transfer fee to St Helens to release him. plus his relocation costs, legal cost for visas for him and his partner, plus he has a car, all of which are Cap exempt. The only thing that matters is what is in the Cap.

Always a Bulldog

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well, that's tge last we will see of him.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shit, that was random. No idea what happened but I'm guessing he's played his last game as a Bulldog.
End of the day, family comes first and I really hope everything works out for Thomson.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope the big fella is ok. I don't understand the hatred for him.

In spite of people rubbishing him as a player, he's been ok in a side that's hardly been setting the world on fire. Arguably his biggest strength would be his pace in broken play from his highlights vids. He's a workhorse that really did well as a support player and with our new look playing style that relies on more ball movement I think we might actually see the best of him if he returns.

I know that there's been talk of him leaving for a long time, but his only real crime is that according to hearsay he's on huge coin. Can't blame anyone for accepting a big paycheck though

Edit- after reading further, I really hope his mother gets well. Guessing from the reports that he was emotional that it's no certainty she will. Football aside, family is worth more to me than a job regardless of what I'd be getting paid. Hope it all works out well for them.

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets not rewrite history, Thommo was never dominant. He was highly paid though
As dominant a forward we had at the time, he didn’t exactly have a lot of competition

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish him all the very best. I hope his mother recovers and all ends well.

I don’t blame him, I blame the people in charge who signed him at the time. He was unproven at NRL level and was never a marquee that was going to attract other players. They paid overs for him and Cotric which put us in a worse position.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Luke was our only real dominant forward when he first arrived, guys like Vaughan and King have helped the team out since but he’s a quality forward - Best of luck Thommo
A shame, as I think he would fit in with the way the team is now playing.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I echo the thoughts of the club and others in wishing Luke all the very best not only with his family but also is health.

While he hasn’t shown the form that got him to the NRL, with St Helens, he certainly shown glimpses of that form in a few games for us since he debuted in Round 9 of the 2020 competition.

Under Barrett, not sure if it was due to injuries or poor selection from TB but I seem to remember he playing lock on a number of occasions.

Thinking was also unfairly suspended at the end of 2020 season for 4 weeks on Tamou when Tamou said post match there was nothing in it and said he’s not that kind of player. At the time officials were making an example out of us and gave him 4, any other club he wouldn’t have missed a game.

Feel he’d be great for us now we’ve starting to turn things around. Hopefully all is well with his mum and he gets over this concussion soon as we need him back for the back half of this season as that has been missed by most on here. Gus did say he is due back here on July 8.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I echo the thoughts of the club and others in wishing Luke all the very best not only with his family but also is health.

While he hasn’t shown the form that got him to the NRL, with St Helens, he certainly shown glimpses of that form in a few games for us since he debuted in Round 9 of the 2020 competition.

Under Barrett, not sure if it was due to injuries or poor selection from TB but I seem to remember he playing lock on a number of occasions.

Thinking was also unfairly suspended at the end of 2020 season for 4 weeks on Tamou when Tamou said post match there was nothing in it and said he’s not that kind of player. At the time officials were making an example out of us and gave him 4, any other club he wouldn’t have missed a game.

Feel he’d be great for us now we’ve starting to turn things around. Hopefully all is well with his mum and he gets over this concussion soon as we need him back for the back half of this season as that has been missed by most on here. Gus did say he is due back here on July 8.
Those tries they found a way to take off him and the team as well!

All round his time here has been a bumpy ride. He has been behind the 8 ball the whole time.

He arrived under Covid lockdown.
Poor coaching and team play.
Poor results and team effort by Dogs team ....when he has come from the top UK team... it must have been dispiriting.
Constant talk of being overpaid by our previous inept Board and all the politics of that...and being apparently offered to several opposition teams and shopped by this current one.
His vaxx issues.
The severe inappropriate ref (penalties), bunker rulings (2 no tries), MRC stitch ups.

Then there is his form and eroded value to the team. If he had been able to go on this run of success with the team for the past 4 weeks, he may be flying by now. Due to concussion issues he has missed out and now his Mum is unwell.

Wish him all the best.

He is a Bulldog and chose us to play for over other teams regardless of the money situation we have no real info on from other clubs. His form was great and he was our best forward last year for most of the year. He was held in great respect and admiration at that time even including TK :grinning:

His success, or otherwise, is as much a reflection on our club and what we can do for a player's career and wellbeing as it is on him personally.

All the personal issues and the club's side issues and hassles go into the fallout of the present situation, so let's show some thoughtful respect.

For our club to be considered a great club once again, we need to look after players and gather them into the Bulldogs way ...with fans and supporters playing their part as well in consolidating our club's reputation as Simply The Best.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off Contract 2022 (Props)

Morgan Boyle, Herman Ese'ese, Poasa Faamausili, Sione Fainu, Andrew Fifita, Royce Hunt, Ryan James, Rhys Kennedy, Matthew Lodge, Dunamis Lui, Josh McGuire, Jordan McLean, Franklin Pele, Emry Pere, Pasami Saulo, James Tamou, Martin Taupau and Aiden Tolman

8. Tevita Pangai Junior
9. Reed Mahoney
10. ??
11. Villiame Kikau
12. ??
13. Max King

Most of these props available like Aiden Tolman, Ryan James, Matthew Lodge, James Tamou, Josh McGuire, Andrew Fifita and Dunamis Luai are retiring at the end of this year and are rubbish. Some of them have confirmed they will be going to the Super League.