Bulldogs half pairings Win/Loss since 2018

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I wanted to see how our halves combinations have been going since Foran started in 2018. So here's the results. This doesn't control for quality of opponent, however as you only need about 50% win/loss to make the top 8 you only need to win half of all games, so quality of opponent isn't important unless you're already making the top 8 and losing to top 4 opponents.

Results

Since 2018 we've had 10 different starting half pairings. Of those 10 pairings, 2 have winning records, 7 have losing records, and 1 is 50/50.

The 2 winning records are;
  1. Frawley and Lewis: 3 wins 1 loss, 75% win rate
  2. Foran and Lewis: 3 wins 2 losses, 60% win rate
The 50% is Cogger and Wakeham: 1 win 1 loss

The 7 losing records (ranked from least worst to worst) are;
  1. JMK and Lewis: 2 wins 3 loses: 40% win rate
  2. Lewis and Cogger: 3 wins 5 losses, 38% win rate
  3. Foran and JMK: 2 wins 4 losses, 33% win rate
  4. Foran and Coggar: 2 wins 4 losses: 33% win rate
  5. Foran and Frawley: 1 win 5 losses, 17% win rate
  6. Foran and Brown: 0 wins 1 loss, 0% win rate
  7. JMK and Frawley: 0 wins 3 losses, 0% win rate
Observations:
  • Foran wins twice as much with Lewis (60% win rate) than with his 2nd best pairings (JMK and Cogger both 33% win rate).
  • Lewis is the only player in both of the 2 winning half pairings.
  • Lewis is in 4 of the top 5 half pairings we've had since 2018.
  • Foran is in 4 of the bottom 5 half pairings we've had since 2018.

Source

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/draw/ for 2018 and 2019 team lists and results

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham and cogger are our future halves pairing

Foran will be gone after next season and lewis doesnt have the same potential as cogger or wakeham

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can read that much into the winning percentage when the highest amount of games a combo has played is 8.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham and cogger will surely be our future.. once they gel an have developed they will be very dangerous I’m thinking !!

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can read that much into the winning percentage when the highest amount of games a combo has played is 8.
With only 25 games a season you have to do short combos. Don't have the luxury of 20-100 trial games or 1-4 seasons goes by.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With only 25 games a season you have to do short combos. Don't have the luxury of 20-100 trial games or 1-4 seasons goes by.
The problem is that all the percentages can swing right around with only a couple of wins and losses.

Dave0175

Waterboy
Reaction score
You are right
But he has the mould of a foran
Question will be cogger or wakham
Or buy new
Wakeham and cogger are our future halves pairing

Foran will be gone after next season and lewis doesnt have the same potential as cogger or wakeham

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The problem is that all the percentages can swing right around with only a couple of wins and losses.
That's the nature of a footy season... What would be a better measure of success than win loss records?

All that matters is winning. Whether you win ugly or win by 1 point. I'd rather the team look shit and win than look great and lose.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the nature of a footy season... What would be a better measure of success than win loss records?

All that matters is winning. Whether you win ugly or win by 1 point. I'd rather the team look shit and win than look great and lose.
Its probably a mixture of individual stats and team stats when those halves play rather then solely basing it on win percentage when there is less then 10 games a pairing to use as a sample size.

Going off the percentages Frawley is the best halfback we have had in the last 2 years and I'm not sure if there is anyone that would agree with that.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its probably a mixture of individual stats and team stats when those halves play rather then solely basing it on win percentage when there is less then 10 games a pairing to use as a sample size.

Going off the percentages Frawley is the best halfback we have had in the last 2 years and I'm not sure if there is anyone that would agree with that.
Frawley was the worst half though. He just had a good pairing with Lewis. His total win record was only 21% in this sample.

Anyway think as you like the numbers speak for themselves

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lewis adds so much to our defense. He makes up for the players around him and he never lets us down. That inspires the players around him. He needs to stay in the team. In attack I'd either switch him with JMK or Hopoate but in defense he needs to stay at halfback.