Bulldogs Greatest Team!!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mortimer is the GOAT. Turvey's amazing two long range solo tries in the sudden death semi against Cronulla the week before his solo try against Parra in 79.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And was a two man band at the Maggie's with Leis starting when only 19 or 20, he was a great for 15 years+ I love this champion.
Terry Lamb also won a Dally M player of the year with Western Suburbs Magpies in 1983. Not bad considering Wests got the wooden spoon that year. We were lucky to get such an awesome player.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lamb played in 3 GF winning teams for the Dogs. Mortimer played in 4 GF winning teams plus single handedly got the Dogs into the 79 GF including the amazing match turning solo try against Parra in the GF qualifier that year when he ran around several Parra defenders. Mortimer scored two amazing long range solo tries the week before in the sudden death semi against Cronulla. Saints ran riot in the first half of the GF and would have put a cricket score on the Dogs if it wasn't for Mortimer saving several tries with his trademark cover tackles.
Sterlo has said several times on tv that when Parra played the Dogs in the late 70's and through the 80's their main focus was trying to minimise the impact Mortimer had on the game as they knew that would determine the outcome of the game.
NSW never won an Origin series until Mortimer was captain.
Dogs would have won 86 GF in the last play of the game if Bugden had passed the ball to Mortimer to set up the match winner instead of going for himself from dummy half and getting tackled seconds before the siren.
Lamb is great but Mortimer is the GOAT.
No HB in history had Mortimer's blistering acceleration, chip and regather, the greatest cover tackles and winning 4 GF.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, and everyone says Tom Brady is the GOAT, but we all know it's Joe Montana.
Steve Mortimer played alongside players from the same era, but Lamb went into the 90's with the next generation of players, such as the Bulldogs four that went to the Eels, Polla-Mounter at halfback and many others winning in 1995 and also playing in the Grand Final the year before. I think Lamb had a bigger impact on the Bulldogs over a longer time.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
My favourite Eels victories v Bulldogs
2009 Preliminary - Hayne train unstoppable, but let's not talk about where he ended up.
Round 9, 1985 - Kenny and Sterlo in England, but Eels still beat Dogs at Belmore 22-2.
Major Preliminary, 1983 - Eric Grothe beats numerous Bulldogs to score best individual try.
Round 23, 2005 - Eels demolish Dogs 56-4.
Round 11, 1995 - Worst Eels team in the modern game upset eventual premiers the Bulldogs.
Major Semi, 1986 - Eels defeat Bulldogs 28-6. Eels led 20-0 after 45 minutes.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
Like my shrine!! For only $49.99 I can deliver and install in your home.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah, and everyone says Tom Brady is the GOAT, but we all know it's Joe Montana.
Steve Mortimer played alongside players from the same era, but Lamb went into the 90's with the next generation of players, such as the Bulldogs four that went to the Eels, Polla-Mounter at halfback and many others winning in 1995 and also playing in the Grand Final the year before. I think Lamb had a bigger impact on the Bulldogs over a longer time.
Mortimer was one of the few players from the 80 GF wining team to also play in the 84, 85 and 88 GF winning teams so your statement above about Mortimer playing alongside players from the same era is fundamentally WRONG. He played across at least 2 eras.
Dogs have won 8 GF in its 88 year history. 4 of those GF wins came in Mortimer's 13 years at the club. Statistically that is unmatched by any other Dogs player so by objective measures Mortimer had the biggest impact on the club. I don't recall any other Dogs player who played in 6 GF like Mortimer did.
It was Mortimer who was largely responsible for the Dogs breaking it's 42 year drought and the "immortal" Bob Fulton on video record said "Mortimer was the single most important factor for the Bulldogs dominance in the 80's and wining those premierships" and that view has also been voiced by your own Sterlo on the record.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
Mortimer was one of the few players from the 80 GF wining team to also play in the 84, 85 and 88 GF winning teams so your statement above about Mortimer playing alongside players from the same era is fundamentally WRONG. He played across at least 2 eras.
Dogs have won 8 GF in its 88 year history. 4 of those GF wins came in Mortimer's 13 years at the club. Statistically that is unmatched by any other Dogs player so by objective measures Mortimer had the biggest impact on the club. I don't recall any other Dogs player who played in 6 GF like Mortimer did.
It was Mortimer who was largely responsible for the Dogs breaking it's 42 year drought and the "immortal" Bob Fulton on video record said "Mortimer was the single most important factor for the Bulldogs dominance in the 80's and wining those premierships" and that view has also been voiced by your own Sterlo on the record.
In 1988 Mortimer was a bench player for more than half a season and only played the last 5 or 10 minutes of the grand final. Sure he was still part of the club and contributed but his days of dominance was over by then.
I agree on Origin, Lamb didn't dominate or even rival Lewis, only Kenny did in the 5/8 spot, but we're talking club footy, not rep footy. I'd vote Lamb anyday. Beat Manly in 1995, a team that only lost 2 games that year. And beat the Raiders in the 1994 finals, but lost the grand final.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1988 Mortimer was a bench player for more than half a season and only played the last 5 or 10 minutes of the grand final. Sure he was still part of the club and contributed but his days of dominance was over by then.
I agree on Origin, Lamb didn't dominate or even rival Lewis, only Kenny did in the 5/8 spot, but we're talking club footy, not rep footy. I'd vote Lamb anyday. Beat Manly in 1995, a team that only lost 2 games that year. And beat the Raiders in the 1994 finals, but lost the grand final.
>"In 1988 Mortimer was a bench player for more than half a season" "only played the last 5 or 10 minutes of the grand fina"
You forget to mention that Mortimer had a broken/fractured arm which put him on the sidelines for a fair part of the season.

>"but his days of dominance was over by then. "
Really? You forget about the match in Lang Park against Brisbane (aka virtual Origin side) featuring Langer and other QLD greats where Brisbane were in control of the match and in front. Mortimer comes off the bench and first touch of the ball he splits the defence and in the same movement the Dogs score a try that turned the match and they went on to win. Mortimer played about 20 minutes of that game and wins man of the match.
You also forget that Penrith tried to poach him to play for them the following year despite them having a top class HB in Alexander but Mortimer decided to retire instead. Fulton also tried to poach Mortimer to go to Manly in the late 80's despite them having a top class HB in Hasler so it was quite clear that Mortimer still cut it with the best in his last year.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
>"In 1988 Mortimer was a bench player for more than half a season" "only played the last 5 or 10 minutes of the grand fina"
You forget to mention that Mortimer had a broken/fractured arm which put him on the sidelines for a fair part of the season.

>"but his days of dominance was over by then. "
Really? You forget about the match in Lang Park against Brisbane (aka virtual Origin side) featuring Langer and other QLD greats where Brisbane were in control of the match and in front. Mortimer comes off the bench and first touch of the ball he splits the defence and in the same movement the Dogs score a try that turned the match and they went on to win. Mortimer played about 20 minutes of that game and wins man of the match.
You also forget that Penrith tried to poach him to play for them the following year despite them having a top class HB in Alexander but Mortimer decided to retire instead. Fulton also tried to poach Mortimer to go to Manly in the late 80's despite them having a top class HB in Hasler.
What about 1995, when the Bulldogs and Lamb beat the Dragons with Mundine and a star studded Broncos and Raiders!! Broncos and Raiders were winning premierships during that time and Dragons made the 1996 grand final.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about 1995, when the Bulldogs and Lamb beat the Dragons with Mundine and a star studded Broncos and Raiders!! Broncos and Raiders were winning premierships during that time and Dragons made the 1996 grand final.
Lamb was still a great player in 1995 but by that time he could barely train because his knees were shot and it was well known by the club that he missed a lot of the training sessions.
His impact was mainly his presence and leadership which boosted team morale. In 1995 the main players for the Dogs that created most of the tries and had the biggest impact were the four players that you poached to the Eels the following year. Lamb played on in 1996 but the Dogs were mediocre that year when those four traitors and Dallas left.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lamb was still a great player in 1995 but by that time he could barely train because his knees were shot and it was well known by the club that he missed a lot of the training sessions.
His impact was mainly his presence and leadership which boosted team morale. In 1995 the main players for the Dogs that created most of the tries and had the biggest impact were the four players that you poached to the Eels the following year. Lamb played on in 1996 but the Dogs were mediocre that year when those four traitors and Dallas left.
I'm not saying Lamb was more skilful or talented than Mortimer, but he's the GOAT because of his presence and leadership aslong as he had a decent forward pack. His support play and presence was second to none.
Very similar to Ray Price!! Kenny and Sterlo were far more talented, but the leadership and guts from Price makes him the GOAT. Once he retired, Eels didn't even make the finals with Kenny and Sterlo again.
Lamb in 1995 confirms it for me cause his opposition in the finals were against numerous hall of famers - Langer, Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Lyons and the list goes on.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Terry Lamb also won a Dally M player of the year with Western Suburbs Magpies in 1983. Not bad considering Wests got the wooden spoon that year. We were lucky to get such an awesome player.
Sure did kill it there with West's remember my old man an old Maggie was devastated he was leaving lol but he loved him and used to see him at the Cheso hotel a bit.Terry was and I assume still is just a top down to earth bloke who played above his weight regularly, tough as they come .

Bullfrog would have been rocking up round at the Lamb's house weekly I reckon lol it was a massive get having him return to the fold.

My favourite player without a doubt, I watched him at West's also as we used to go to some games at Lidcombe too.

Crazy to expect it but I'm wondering and hoping if Khaled Rajab might be a burgeoning prototype into the future..we're overdue for one of his kind.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying Lamb was more skilful or talented than Mortimer, but he's the GOAT because of his presence and leadership aslong as he had a decent forward pack. His support play and presence was second to none.
Very similar to Ray Price!! Kenny and Sterlo were far more talented, but the leadership and guts from Price makes him the GOAT. Once he retired, Eels didn't even make the finals with Kenny and Sterlo again.
Lamb in 1995 confirms it for me cause his opposition in the finals were against numerous hall of famers - Langer, Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Lyons and the list goes on.
I'll take Sterlo or Kenny over Price any day. Remove Sterlo or Kenny from the Eels and they don't win in 86 and 50/50 in 82 and 83.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You guys had some other greats in the 80s too Steve Ella, Eric Grothe a real gun team/backline our rivalry was great then, both teams won 4 comps each in that decade..I recall Ray Price being disliked by many but he was heart and soul Parra and gave 110% every game.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'll take Sterlo or Kenny over Price any day. Remove Sterlo or Kenny from the Eels and they don't win in 86 and 50/50 in 82 and 83.
Of course, Kenny and Sterlo convincingly beat Manly, but once Price was gone and replaced by Bob Lindner, Eels were getting hammered. Price and Cronin though did play in grand finals before Kenny and Sterlo.
Watch the 1988 grand final - Lamb throws an important pass out wide for a long distance try and backs up to score a try.

slippery eel

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just on your rumours thread, I'd be happy for the Dogs to sign Mitchell Moses. I call him "one trick pony", he may have the best long kicking game but his attack is one dimensional. 1st level 7 - Stuart, Johns, Langer, Sterlo and Mortimer, 2nd level - Cooper Cronk and Matt Orford, 3rd level Mitchell Moses.