Bulldogs freeze on contract upgrades

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So everything is on freeze while we acquire;

- Fat **** Meehan who will instil fear with Hethrington in all our oppositions by shadow boxing

- Dufty to play either FB, Hooker or Centre

- Hynes to play either FB or 5/8

- Toby Rudolfs brother to come off the bench

- Lodge to start in the front row

- Kane Evans to come off the bench (should also get a cameo with Meehan and Hethrington with the shadow boxing)

- Blake Laurie to come onto the bench as well

- Capewell to line up beside Burto

- Matterson straight into the 17

Have i missed anyone?

Thoughts on Sandow and Bevan French?
Fat meehan ? Been boxing definitely not fat

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I mean, here's the full list of off-contract players & my thoughts on if we should keep or let them go (Per NRL.com contracts tracker)

• Britt (Go)
  • Crichton (Go)
  • Tyrone Harding (Already released?)
  • Will Hopoate (Go to England)
  • S Katoa (Go to England)
  • T Katoa (Go)
  • Lachlan Lewis (Go)
  • JMK (Go)
  • Meany (Go)
  • Napa (Go)
  • Ogden (Don't mind if he stays or leaves)
  • Okunbor (Stay)
  • Roumanos (Go)
  • Seumanufagai (Don't mind either)
  • Chris Smith (Don't mind either)
  • Atoni (Stay)

So that's - 2 stays, 3 don't mind if they stay or go.
Not sure if Ogden or smith are keepers. I’d also be looking to offload Waddell even though he still has 2 more years to go.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t really see much in Dietz he’s still living off that one trial game and hasn’t done much in his NRL game time.
I thought I was the only one that thinks this

Dude hasn’t fired a shot since
Yet to see anything from Deitz other than a couple good runs in a trial against Cronulla reserve graders.
In all fairness, he's not gonna get much done with our forwards being constantly dominated.

Last edited:

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Atoni would be the only player I would retain &, as others have suggested, only on a 1 year extension to see if better cattle can take him to the next level. Try hards like Smith I admire but the NRL is a ruthless business and tryhards are only injury backup. Only talent belongs in 1st grade.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not sure if Ogden or smith are keepers. I’d also be looking to offload Waddell even though he still has 2 more years to go.
Agree except I would add Meaney to the stay list.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I doubt Meaney is kept either tbh
He should be re-signed, as he is a good utility in the backs... wing, fb etc. A bit like the Corey Thompson was (and has been ever since)

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from Renouf and maybe Okunbur and Meaney, there's no one you'd even consider re-signing.

They better announce some quality signings soon though otherwise they'll be forced to panic buy to fill out the squad and make up 95% of the cap.
Okunbur is a must imo, he's got the size for a modern day winger. If he fixes few areas of his game he will be a big asset

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The majority can go.. only a few keepers in our current squad..

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so now the players have been told where the door is I am thinking the club has made this decision public because other players have been signed that are yet to be announced.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Meaney has got to be kept, even if it's just for depth. Don't know why anyone wouldn't want him in the top 30. Safe, reliable and will always do his job. Can't fill a roster full of superstars, we aren't Melbourne or Roosters
We can fill a roster without Meaney next year, but he's a useful back-up (reserve grade fullback/winger) if there are injuries or players are underperforming. I think it'll come down to the money (and at least guaranteed first shot fullback in reserves, hard to see another team signing him for a NRL position) whether we re-sign him or not.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every time I read the title of this thread out loud it's like music to my ears :grinning: We sure do have a lot of dead wood to burn through.....may as well throw Elliott in the fire while we are at it :grinning:

Last edited:

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
can see this season getting alot worse if players have been told they wont be getting a contract next year. Its the right move for the club and im glad they have done it, but does players will be putting in no effort at all
Then they better start looking at TAFE courses now