News Bulldogs forced to pick three debutants with five players in COVID isolation

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury’s season has lurched into another crisis, as players failing to follow the league’s COVID-19 restrictions have put five players in isolation and forced coach Trent Barrett to pick three debutants for Saturday afternoon’s showdown with former club Manly.

With Dylan Napa, Brandon Wakeham, Aaron Schoupp, Corey Waddell and Sione Katoa all unavailable because of their visit to a Bondi pub last Sunday week, the Dogs will turn to first-starters Falakiko Manu, 19-year-old local junior Chris Patolo and Bailey Biondi Odo, a utility who popped up for the club at last year’s Perth Nines.

Manu, 24, will start in the centres and has performed strongly for feeder club Mounties, while Biondi Odo and Manu will both come off the bench.

Kyle Flanagan has also been recalled because of the five unavailable Dogs, as has Corey Allan on to a wing.

Canterbury’s entire squad were forced to undergo COVID tests and only resumed training on Monday.

Injured trio Adam Elliott (cheekbone), Chirs Smith (ankle) and Nick Cotric (turf toe) join the long list of Bulldogs on the sidelines.

Manly will be without Jake Trbojevic whose glute injury forced him out of Origin II and will keep him sidelined until round 18 against St George Illawarra.

Brent Naden will start his first game of the year for Penrith on the wing with Charlie Staines named at fullback for the injured Dylan Edwards (foot). Nathan Cleary’s shoulder injury will see Matt Burton unite with Jarome Luai in the halves for Friday night’s western Sydney derby against Parramatta. The game had sold out weeks in advance before COVID put a stop to any fans being inside BlueBet Stadium.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see the young guys get an opportunity,it’s not like we’re playing for a semifinal spot,and it’s also obvious,atoni has fallen out of favour,but the reality is he along with some other’s were given an opportunity,and have failed to grab it.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If renouf atoni can’t make this side just release him to wherever he’s signed too
Agree, this weeks team selection clearly suggests Atoni may have signed elsewhere, in true Bulldog style, we probably loose one of our best from the development guys who is ahead of Avo, then Topine and probably Schoupp in terms of demonstrated growth and future promise.

Hopefully the new guys Picked this week will provide an insight into their capabilities.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fucking knobs.
Yeah none of em should be picked in first grade again this season, let’s set some standards here as show players the time for this shit is over and won’t be tolerated, while at the same time none of them are a great loss anyway and will be good to see some new blokes, so would be a win win for me

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guess we can thank Covid for ridding us of Napa from first grade. Please Baz don't recall him this season.

This is Flannagan's chance now, I really hope he takes this opportunity.
With the exception of Schoupp, you couldn’t hand pick a more ideal group of players to be identified breaching COVID protocols to be honest.. it’s worked favourably in my opinion.

Super disappointed in Schoupp, If your a young fella who finally breaks through the grade, surely your playing a straight bat and abiding by all the rules unless he was somewhat confused with the do’s and don’ts

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s time to play around with the team lists until the end of the year and give several of these young guys a try in the top grade. What have we got to lose this year. But we need to see who can cut it in the big games.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think kiko Manu will hold his own and surprise a few people.... Glad he's got an opportunity....
I think he's more suited on the wing but interested to see how he goes regardless (I know he's played a lot of games at centre this year in reserves).

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah, Ogden and Atoni…..fair to say the club must be done with those two.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whilst they may not need to even go aerial a short winger like Heleta against the likes of Saab, Turbo and Garrick would be a trainwreck.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How Simpson is ahead of Atoni and Ogden is beyond me…

Probably an underlying matter we’re not privy too.

Stating the bleeding obvious, we have FA prop depth.

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With the exception of Schoupp, you couldn’t hand pick a more ideal group of players to be identified breaching COVID protocols to be honest.. it’s worked favourably in my opinion.

Super disappointed in Schoupp, If your a young fella who finally breaks through the grade, surely your playing a straight bat and abiding by all the rules unless he was somewhat confused with the do’s and don’ts
To think he read the rule, no going to club pub or restaurant in Bondi, gets confused so goes to pub in Bondi.
I wouldn't like his chances of understanding the game plan

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Any one seen the three newbies play?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Baz is more stubborn than Des and Pay put together, hope he knows something more than us.
It could be a master stroke.