News Bulldogs face ‘big’ call on star recruit — but 86-year low proves problem goes much deeper

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He has been far from impressive this year and I think some time in NSW cup is best but having AVO at 6, Katoa/JMK/Dietz at 9 and only one forward averaging over 100m per game is difficult for any half let alone an inexperienced half who is low on confidence. If Flanno was playing alongside Foran in the halves, with a 9 who could provide decent service and we had a few decent forwards he would and we would be having a much better season.

What are we reportedly paying Flanno per season?
Even when we have field position his last tackle options are terrible

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even when we have field position his last tackle options are terrible
I agree, he is in no way able to create and implement a game plan at NRL level. His last play options and slow motion inside balls to a forward are also painful to watch. In saying that, I also think it is tough on him considering who is 6, who is 9 and with no forward averaging over 100m.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The play was on just poor execution (needed to land deep in the in goal, not over the sideline), Sam Walker kicks on 1st tackle and is praised.
I don’t think the play was on. Cotric was covered.

But I don’t mind his thinking there. Even if he doesn’t kick Waddell would have just knocked the ball on 2 tackles later so it’s the same outcome.

I didn’t like Lewis being on the bench. I reckon most times you put a back up half on the bench at least one of the starting halves has a shocker.

Either start him or don’t play him

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s funny, all the excuses for flanno, Wakeham and Lewis had worse pack last year but I don’t recall that being used as a excuse ,
all the excuses used for flanno could be used for Lewis (ie his shit passes he does due to poor dummy haof service and players running on the ball)

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are at a “crossroads” with halfback Kyle Flanagan after he was hooked midgame in a 32-12 loss to the Dragons but his form is far from the only problem at Belmore.

Coach Trent Barrett admitted the club is “in a bit of hole” post-game, while revealing that the “execution of our set-ends” was behind Flanagan’s benching.

He was noncommittal on Flanagan’s spot in the team this week against Canberra, saying he would drop the 22-year old if “in the best interests of the team”.

With Lachlan Lewis (lung) failing to finish the game though, Brandon Wakeham appears the most likely option to replace Flanagan.

Barrett though added that “Kyle’s not the only one” and it was a point that was not lost on the Big League Wrap with Fox League’s experts arguing that Flanagan needs more support.

“It’s a tough card for Kyle Flanagan given what happened at the Roosters last year,” James Hooper told Big League Wrap.

“He was signed, he still had a couple of seasons to go there, Trent Robinson called him in and they had a very direct meeting... before he knew it he was signed on a three-year contract at Belmore.

“In fairness in he needs some more help. He’s essentially trying to run the side one-out, he’s still a very young playmaker. It’s a huge assignment to lump that responsibility on a very young playmaker.”

Flanagan is only 38 games into his NRL career and still learning his trade, playing behind a pack with only one forward averaging over 100 running metres.
Meanwhile, for all the potential Jake Averillo has shown with his limited touches, there may be a need for the young playmaker to also increase his involvement in the red zone.

Then there is the issue at hooker - with Sione Katoa and Jeremy Marshall-King both off-contract at the end of 2021 while Brad Deitz has four NRL games to his name off the bench.

“If I was Kyle Flanagan I wouldn’t like to be playing behind that Bulldogs pack at the moment,” the Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield said on ‘The Big Sports Breakfast’ on Monday morning.

“I thought how would poor Sam Walker go if he was at Canterbury. I was wondering about the other halves, how would they go?

“It has been a really disappointing year because after what Trent Barrett did at Penrith last year, we all gave Baz very much credit for the attacking football Penrith played but he hasn’t been able to do it because he doesn’t have the squad to do it.”

Rothfield believes that Flanagan’s confidence is “totally shattered at the moment”.

While Flanagan may be in need of a stronger platform up front, Laurie Daley questions what direction Barrett
Will go in with his marquee recruit .
Wait, what? "marquee recruit" LOL You have got to be kidding me. He was such a marquee that he is probably the lowest paid half in the comp AND the Roosters are paying some of his salary.

Geez, do you have to be on heroin to be a journalist these days?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Should never have been signed in the first place
Since when did we sign rooster rejects ?
Not even fg standard imo

fair enough to blame the forwards for not getting a roll on
But yesterday his kick on the first and getting tackled twice on the last in the opp 10 were pathetic

he isn’t a halfbacks arsehole and nor will ever be
unfortunately we have a history of signing Roosters rejects whilst they get our good players.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree with most on here about Flanagan. He is straight up and down and does not pose a threat to the line ever. His defence is dodgy sometimes also. Not a long term option. But in my opinion Avo is far worse. He has the talent but to me he is not hard enough to be a first grader. He looks like he is made from paper mache. Every time he gets tackled he looks like he is injured. Rarely takes the line on and hardly gets involved in the oppositions 20. Defence has no impact. Has talent but looks like he needs a full season of reserve grade. I would sign Johnson for next year. He would complement Burton well. As long as not too expensive. Maybe even bulk Flanno up and stick him in at 9 like some have suggested here already.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was excited to get him over at the start of the year and tried to defend him all season but yesterday's game turned him into my most hated bulldog ever. The kick on the first made me want to put a hole in my tv

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just outta curiosity is there any player at our club you do like? Don't recall seeing you praise anyone much....

Re Flanno specifically firstly 1.he wasn't a "star recruit" was a relatively cheap(in hindsight now maybe not so much)developing halfback.
2.He IS going terribly so maybe is a no go as a FG halfback for us, but i guarantee everyone will still be arcing up with the replacement options i.e Lewis or Wakeham.

Guess he has to go back to The Mounties and see if he has an epiphany there(also doubtful)as the continued poor form leaves Baz with no other option.
When the other guys inevitably cock it up too he may well get another go but his light is fading and fast..
Yes plenty
Rfm
Thompson
Averillo
Topine
Doorey
Dwz when not dropping bombs
Allen
Atoni
Hetherington

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This .. even the commentators I think it was blocker said what the hell ?
U can’t blame that on the forwards nor can u blame getting your kick charged down or back pedalling in defence
Getting tackles twice on the last in the opp 10

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t think the play was on. Cotric was covered.

But I don’t mind his thinking there. Even if he doesn’t kick Waddell would have just knocked the ball on 2 tackles later so it’s the same outcome.

I didn’t like Lewis being on the bench. I reckon most times you put a back up half on the bench at least one of the starting halves has a shocker.

Either start him or don’t play him
The Dragons winger was in field (I believe Cotric would of had a clean catch, you can't be tackled in the air anymore) which is what Flanagan saw and the trigger for him to kick, it was just poor execution imo.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dragons winger was in field (I believe Cotric would of had a clean catch, you can't be tackled in the air anymore) which is what Flanagan saw and the trigger for him to kick, it was just poor execution imo.
Yep fair enough. But on zero tackle there needed to be more room than that.

Maybe tackle 3 or 4.

But as I said I didn’t mind the play. I liked what Ennis said last night. If you are gunna drop someone you need a decent replacement.

Personally I would play Lewis at 6 and Avo at centre this week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes plenty
Rfm
Thompson
Averillo
Topine
Doorey
Dwz when not dropping bombs
Allen
Atoni
Hetherington
Why do you like Allan? He is basically Hoppa. Hetherington? Wtf? Don't like those guys ffs.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run metres last three weeks in comparison to opposite #.

Avo - 41, 48, 57
Opp. #6 ....170, 80, 90

Opposition halves

Flanno - 56, 19, 31
Opp. #7.... 129, 80, 44

Now I know this shows only part of our issues but it also says a lot.

It is obvious our halves don't take on the line enough nor do they take the ball to the line to draw defences in before passing to men outside them.

They are just catching and passing while standing flat. Avo on the very odd occasion will take the line on but only when the ball comes to him otherwise he isn't seen.

Why we have forwards at first receiver like Waddell was yesterday just 5mtrs out is beyond me. That is the halves lack of organisation and our attack rests with them. It was one of the reasons why Flanno got hooked which showed that Barrett isn't scared to make some hard decisions.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why do you like Allan? He is basically Hoppa. Hetherington? Wtf? Don't like those guys ffs.
Coz Allan is a good player surrounded by muppets who don’t know how to play
Plus he showed in origin he’s up to it
Herherington is a gun but he can’t take on 6 other forwards on his own

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Coz Allan is a good player surrounded by muppets who don’t know how to play
Plus he showed in origin he’s up to it
Herherington is a gun but he can’t take on 6 other forwards on his own
Allan is average. Hetherington a gun? A water gun? ***** rubbish.

Malla

Reaction score
Which players this year have played well though? Out of curiosity.

The Flanno slander is starting to get boring. Remove Flanno and we still still be shit.