News Bulldogs face ‘big’ call on star recruit — but 86-year low proves problem goes much deeper

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has been far from impressive this year and I think some time in NSW cup is best but having AVO at 6, Katoa/JMK/Dietz at 9 and only one forward averaging over 100m per game is difficult for any half let alone an inexperienced half who is low on confidence. If Flanno was playing alongside Foran in the halves, with a 9 who could provide decent service and we had a few decent forwards he would and we would be having a much better season.

What are we reportedly paying Flanno per season?
I think it was a $1.1 million, 3 year deal with the Roosters paying about $100K for 2021

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From memory maybe 400k a year? and discounted for this year with the Rooters paying 150k..or maybe Alchemist is right at 100K

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don’t do grubber kicks. Been saying it for years. All the halves have been doing is bombs. It’s pathetic and all the opposition team know that is all the bulldogs do.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol at Buzz blaming forward pack for his demise
He is actually spot on.

I don’t believe any half would shine playing behind our pack and with the lack of strike we have in the backline. Our squads a rabble of fringe first graders.

• Haha
Reactions: GDR

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it was a $1.1 million, 3 year deal with the Roosters paying about $100K for 2021
So what is that 260k for this year and 360k for the next two? Thats seems quite reasonable for a rookie half with potential. I know he has been playing poorly, but i still reckon with Burton beside him he will do okay. IMO, Baz can coach hime to run a game plan and leave the creative stuff to Burton. Throw in some pace out wide, cheese at 9 and some strength through the middle and we will be competitive.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So what is that 260k for this year and 360k for the next two? Thats seems quite reasonable for a rookie half with potential. I know he has been playing poorly, but i still reckon with Burton beside him he will do okay. IMO, Baz can coach hime to run a game plan and leave the creative stuff to Burton. Throw in some pace out wide, cheese at 9 and some strength through the middle and we will be competitive.
Na, I'll take Burton at halfback and Averillo at 6 over Flanagan playing.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs some time in reserves to get some confidence back. But even if he can find some, he is still not fg quality.
Our whole squad is not only poor to begin with, but also playing well below their lowly bests.
Completely agree, IMHO it was the worst Bulldogs effort I have ever seen.
I thought St George were poor too, one of the top teams on a good day would have easily put 100 on us.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he was worth the punt, didn't work out, we move on
MY question is how many passengers is the club going to be paying salaries to, for them to deliver very very little to nothing for 2022, 2023.

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A couple of points..KF is inexperienced and it looks like he panics when we get into an attacking situations, hence the bad calls. I dont know why we continue to utilize the bomb kick after being out jumped half a dozen times in a match, there is too much one out running and no support when our players are gang tackled by the opposition. The players are playing like strangers just thrown together for the match, i suppose is to be expected with the uncertainty of who will be shown the door. Lets hope TB is up to the challenge!..Tough times ahead folks.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na, I'll take Burton at halfback and Averillo at 6 over Flanagan playing.
I reckon Avo at 14. Flanno is playing poorly but Avo is not even close to sharing the responsibility in the halves. We will see how Avo goes if Flanno is dropped. I reckon he will continue to have minimal touches and the odd run.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our forwards is rubbish everyone of them. They have no grunt at all and are getting outplayed every week. Flanno is shit also but replacing him with another shit player ain’t going to help.
As crap as our forwards usually are at least they (minus Wadell) delivered in the first half yesterday and Flanno stuffed up every opportunity in prime attacking position. Flanno is a minor upgrade over Lewis and Wakeham and there lies our problem - we have 3 crap halves with no running game, no vision, no creativity and none of them threaten the opposition.

Reactions: GDR

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I reckon Avo at 14. Flanno is playing poorly but Avo is not even close to sharing the responsibility in the halves. We will see how Avo goes if Flanno is dropped. I reckon he will continue to have minimal touches and the odd run.
Jake has played better imo. He at least looks to engage the line, passes better, kicks better, etc. Nothing will change this season though, Baz prepared us to play a certain way and it has totally backfired. Players are now already over the season again.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our forwards is rubbish everyone of them. They have no grunt at all and are getting outplayed every week. Flanno is shit also but replacing him with another shit player ain’t going to help.
So what does it mean when 3/4 of our props were probably our best 3 players (Atoni, Thompson and Seumanufagai)? Our second rowers don't have enough strike, Elliott was showing something earlier on in the season.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dud hooker & dud 5/8 .. no go forward.. problems everywhere

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s simple send him to reggies with a bunch of others and promote others who are eligible. We deadset can’t go any worse

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was with the majority at the start of the season on signing Flanagan but there's no doubt he's looked terrible since round 1. I think it's a combination of him not being used to playing behind a non-dominant forward pack along with dummy half service being bog average. So there are definitely less than ideal circumstances contributing to him playing badly but having said that, Averillo is dealing with the same factors and he's looked far superior.

The one element I haven't seen a lot of people raise is he's come into the club claiming he wants to be a leader but I've seen very little of that from him in any shape or form. His confidence is obviously low but I barely see any talk from him. Also to be completely honest, he doesn't seem like the most popular player on the team. I'm not trying to start any rumours of him being disliked or anything but I've noticed a bit of a disconnect from him and the rest of the spine and team in terms of general chat, encouragement, etc. It's the type of thing that tends to sort itself out with winning but to me it's even more obvious now.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo is our best Half currently, hes the only one that is actually trying his heart out and he is young so he will make mistakes.
Next year will be interesting... who will partner Burton?
Our 7 will need to be a game manager as Burton needs to be able to run the line and play freely...
Avo is not a game manager... any suggestions??

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The forwards didn’t make him kick on the 1st tackle
The play was on just poor execution (needed to land deep in the in goal, not over the sideline), Sam Walker kicks on 1st tackle and is praised.