News Bulldogs eye Panther as hunt resumes for Foxx

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
PANTHERS PICKED APART BY RIVALS
James Hooper
The Penrith Panthers have quickly discovered the price of success with the club’s young gun roster being picked apart by rival NRL clubs since making the grand final.

Young gun rookie Daine Laurie is the latest player who has agreed to depart the club to join the Wests Tigers in 2022.

We all know how this rodeo goes. Laurie will now begin the process of agitating for a release to join the Wests Tigers for next year.

It doesn’t end there, either. Rookie prop Spencer Leniu and young gun five-eighth Matt Burton are both believed to be extremely close to agreeing to terms to join the Bulldogs.

Both will be immense losses.

Then throw in NSW Blues trio Jarome Luai, Stephen Crichton and Isaah Yeo all being off contract at the end of next year and all of a sudden the Panthers plan to retain everyone looks in serious trouble.

Perhaps the smarter play would have been to lock Luai in when they decided he was the best five-eighth ahead of Burton mid-season.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hope it’s just fucking announced asap we get these 2.

Green and Napa off books
Burton and Leinu in.

Jac in for smith and whatever’s left for this year (if he can’t come to 2022 use the coin to frontload)

Hoppa out staggs in.

Jmk and Lewis out, gun hooker in!

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
James Hooper
The Penrith Panthers have quickly discovered the price of success with the club’s young gun roster being picked apart by rival NRL clubs since making the grand final.

Young gun rookie Daine Laurie is the latest player who has agreed to depart the club to join the Wests Tigers in 2022.

We all know how this rodeo goes. Laurie will now begin the process of agitating for a release to join the Wests Tigers for next year.

It doesn’t end there, either. Rookie prop Spencer Leniu and young gun five-eighth Matt Burton are both believed to be extremely close to agreeing to terms to join the Bulldogs.

Then throw in NSW Blues trio Jarome Luai, Stephen Crichton and Isaah Yeo all being off contract at the end of next year and all of a sudden the Panthers plan to retain everyone looks in serious trouble.

Perhaps the smarter play would have been to lock Luai in when they decided he was the best five-eighth ahead of Burton mid-season.
Would it be for next season

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Aloia requesting immediate release from tigers to sign big contract at fwit Dessy’s Eagles..... his manager is none other than Tyrone Smith.
Well I hope Hoppa and Dwz ask us for a release.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Panthers will be so salty if we sign Leniu. I don't think they'd release Leniu early as is but they might prevent Burton from coming early too if we were to sign Leniu.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
James Hooper

Kind of makes you wonder what the point of developing juniors is.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope we get em all. But if the nrl doesn’t do more to reward clubs who develop gun juniors it will be an ordinary comp in 10 years.

Maybe even a comp with blokes who have ability like Lachlan Lewis win the dally m

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cheers. It was a bitter sweet year. Honestly I don't mind you guys getting some of our blokes. That's what the salary cap is suppose to do. In theory :tearsofjoy:
Take it as a compliment as to how well your junior development has been set up as you are now reaping the rewards.

You have a constant stream of talent coming through to choose from but unfortunately one of the realities of having a successful team is players values go up and you inevitably lose some players in the process.

But the junior production line means you probably have the next generation of young stars ready to step up. It's the system I hope our club can replicate in the coming years

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kind of makes you wonder what the point of developing juniors is.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope we get em all. But if the nrl doesn’t do more to reward clubs who develop gun juniors it will be an ordinary comp in 10 years.

Maybe even a comp with blokes who have ability like Lachlan Lewis win the dally m
Yes. This is exactly it.

Of course, we'll all be over the moon if we can get these blokes in but something needs to be done to stop the drain of quality youngsters from clubs. If I were a Panthers fan I'd be filthy.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes. This is exactly it.

Of course, we'll all be over the moon if we can get these blokes in but something needs to be done to stop the drain of quality youngsters from clubs. If I were a Panthers fan I'd be filthy.
Yes it's rough to watch. We've let go:

Mansour (maybe tigers)
Daine Luarie (Just about gone to Tigers)
Ellis
Jed Cartwright
Tamou
Shawn/Dean Blore

Than Possibly Burton/Lenui to you guys.

Reactions: ATT

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
how many of our players have been stolen over the years?
Between 0 - too many. It takes a lot of resources to develop a player into a genuine first grade talent. There should be more incentive in the cap to do it so more clubs want to instead of poaching.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes it's rough to watch. We've let go:

Mansour (maybe tigers)
Daine Luarie (Just about gone to Tigers)
Ellis
Jed Cartwright
Tamou
Shawn/Dean Blore

Than Possibly Burton/Lenui to you guys.
Plus Hetherington too, you picked up some handy players in R Jennings and Eisenhuth though.
Looks like you have 5 spots to fill for 2021 and a tonne of off contract players next year, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it all.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes. This is exactly it.Of course, we'll all be over the moon if we can get these blokes in but something needs to be done to stop the drain of quality youngsters from clubs. If I were a Panthers fan I'd be filthy.
Are you suggesting that Penrith should be able to keep, say, 4 x NRL quality halves and 3 X NRL quality centres, 4 x NRL quality wingers on suppressed salaries, denying them representative honours, languishing in CC, not developing to their full potential, with limited access to senior coaches, conditioners etc?

There is no right answer, keeping them isn’t fair on the players, releasing them isn’t fair on the club that found and developed them.

Go Dogs