News Bulldogs eye Panther as hunt resumes for Foxx

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Plus Hetherington too, you picked up some handy players in R Jennings and Eisenhuth though.
Looks like you have 5 spots to fill for 2021 and a tonne of off contract players next year, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it all.
If we signed R. Jennings and/or Eisenhuth we probably would of spat the dummy to be fair. They were probably signed close to minimum wage so the Panthers have extra funds to retain players. Okay depth options, but that's about it.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Penrith should be able to keep, say, 4 x NRL quality halves and 3 X NRL quality centres, 4 x NRL quality wingers on suppressed salaries, denying them representative honours, languishing in CC, not developing to their full potential, with limited access to senior coaches, conditioners etc?

There is no right answer, keeping them isn’t fair on the players, releasing them isn’t fair on the club that found and developed them.

Go Dogs
No they shouldn’t be able to keep them all but there should be some sort of cap relief if they developed them. For example if Burton signs with us the whole amount is included in the cap. If he stays with Penrith maybe 90% included in cap thus giving them a 10% discount if my math is right.

Teams with smaller regions get more of a discount.

It’s not that hard. Move over PVL. I am gunning for your job !!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No they shouldn’t be able to keep them all but there should be some sort of cap relief if they developed them. For example if Burton signs with us the whole amount is included in the cap. If he stays with Penrith maybe 90% included in cap thus giving them a 10% discount if my math is right.

Let's change that % to 20-25%. I have a feeling 10% isn't going to make much of a difference, especially for the players on less $. Leniu 600k to play at the Bulldogs or 440k (+10%) to play at the Panthers (let's say they believe he's worth 400k). If we made it 25% it'd be 500k which makes it more likely he'd stay at the Panthers imo or he'd cost more for us to get him away (which would hurt our salary cap and discourage us poaching).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's change that % to 20-25%. I have a feeling 10% isn't going to make much of a difference, especially for the players on less $. Leniu 600k to play at the Bulldogs or 440k (+10%) to play at the Panthers (let's say they believe he's worth 400k). If we made it 25% it'd be 500k which makes it more likely he'd stay at the Panthers imo or he'd cost more for us to get him away (which would hurt our salary cap and discourage us poaching).
At 25% discount Penrith could get a Salary Cap of $12m. That’s a huge advantage, makes a mockery of the Chooks sombrero. Of course it won’t be the full $12m, that would need all 30 players to be locally developed. So there would have to be a limit, is it 5 players, maybe 10. But then what happens to player number 6 (or 11)? Bad luck you don’t get the discount. Plus of course not all “local areas” are the same, many of them are not even local, Melbourne for example.

No matter how it’s played there will be unfair losers and unworthy winners.

Go Dogs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 25% discount Penrith could get a Salary Cap of $12m. That’s a huge advantage, makes a mockery of the Chooks sombrero. Of course it won’t be the full $12m, that would need all 30 players to be locally developed. So there would have to be a limit, is it 5 players, maybe 10. But then what happens to player number 6 (or 11)? Bad luck you don’t get the discount. Plus of course not all “local areas” are the same, many of them are not even local, Melbourne for example.

No matter how it’s played there will be unfair losers and unworthy winners.

Go Dogs
Its unfair now

At least if it’s unfair with cap dispensation clubs put more money into juniors and we get a better product

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hoppa was one of our best players
Yeah, but he's slow and not flashy. I think Hopoate's a solid player, he just needs to be in a good team (more x-factor). He does create some nice assists for tries with his great hands. I think he's been in our top 3 the last 2 years.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Yeah, but he's slow and not flashy. I think Hopoate's a solid player, he just needs to be in a good team (more x-factor). He does create some nice assists for tries with his great hands. I think he's been in our top 3 the last 2 years.
Top 3 isn't saying alot. Agree though with him needing X factor around him

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone just wanted to come across and say hi since there's a lit of news between our club's recently for obvious reasons. Seems you guys are the current easy target for signing rumours to sell articles. Not sure how closely everyone looks at other teams rosters so a few specifics which might help when all the clickbait from the journos is coming out.

Burton is the big one obviously and you guys are a fair chance to sign him. He'd get a shot at starting half on reasonable money. If he stays there's no chance he pushes Luai out for the 6 and Ivan wants to turn him into a ball playing forward either at lock or second row with a transition through centre the most likely option. Will also get less to stay at Panthers for obvious reasons.

Lenui is very unlikely. Panthers moved on Tamou and Blore to the Tigers and you guys got Hetherington for the purpose of Lenui being our next prop ready to be brought in to the starting 17 with 2020 being a development year of sorts. He is very highly regarded by the club and you'd have to pay pretty decent overs to get him.

Crichton will be signed after origin camp is over. Panthers are prepared to pay whatever is necessary though some of us as fans don't necessarily agree with that. As fans of the sport we've all had players hold our cap to ransom and dogs fans know that pain from recent history.

I am surprised there's been no mention of Naden. He'll be the odd one out IF you don't get Burton and already seems a little unpopular with Ivan having been dropped post Covid break then for the Preliminary/Grand finals. Though maybe no one wants a centre/wing that bad.

Interesting reading through here as if there's animosity between clubs. I guess the sport is very much based on tribalism but outside us as fans having players we want to stay or go I have no issue with Barrett and any players going to the dogs. So far everything has been done with respect and the club itself deserves to make improvements for the fans and members. A strong comp is better for everyone than the typical 2 or 3 good teams every year.

All the best.
Well said and thanks for the input mate
Without a healthy and respectful rivalry sport is meaningless

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most of us hated what happened between Ivan and the Tigers. Webster being hired looks more like jobs for mates to me.
Jobs for mates...
Mate, it has been like that for us for many years now, hopefully we have turned the corner !

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Penrith should be able to keep, say, 4 x NRL quality halves and 3 X NRL quality centres, 4 x NRL quality wingers on suppressed salaries, denying them representative honours, languishing in CC, not developing to their full potential, with limited access to senior coaches, conditioners etc?

There is no right answer, keeping them isn’t fair on the players, releasing them isn’t fair on the club that found and developed them.

Go Dogs
Fair points actually. And really can't argue against what you're saying, though later down the track I think there should be more done to support clubin keeping their juniors but as you've pointed out there's a double edged sword to that.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There isn’t much point signing anyone to long term deals these days. The managers push for an upgrade a couple of years into the deal or ask for a release if they go well and you’re stuck with a long deal if they struggle.
Spot on !
What's a contract these days ?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Spot on he’s a promising player but he’s not going to fix our issues single handily. I think out of those 6 he’s only started a couple as well. He’s could definitely be a long term solution to our halves but he’s not a instant fix.
The whole setup needs to be given a fair go not only the Burton, that's if we get him !!! :grinning:

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how many of our players have been stolen over the years?
Exactly right !!!AlzzBulldog, You Stole my thunder. and we always released them ahead of their contracts expiry date as respect to the players and other NRL clubs that they went to , it would be nice to be shown the same courtesy for a change.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing I’m most impressed with is that since the departure of the 3 board members and the arrival of Tbaz the club is actively recruiting for the years ahead 2022 and beyond. I know we had salary cap issues but that should not have stopped us looking ahead at who was coming off contract and who we should sign 1-2 years out. Players becoming available in 2022 are getting snapped up now in nov 2020. Well done to the club for looking ahead to buy players for 2022 and beyond.
It's also an issue of the old board not able to act as the coach elect was otherwise engaged. Now Barrett is free to pursue whoever he wants. Don't blame the old board for sitting on their hands. Its the coaches call.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cheers. It was a bitter sweet year. Honestly I don't mind you guys getting some of our blokes. That's what the salary cap is suppose to do. In theory :tearsofjoy:
That’s a fair assessment Personel but I like seeing players come through the grades. If we have to buy one or two. Per year. I understand it. But development is also critical

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Good idea. My thought was similar. If they come through a clubs juniors pathway and play a percentage of first grade games every year. There wage doesn’t go on the salary cap. And you salary cap then reduces to example figure 2 million. That reduces poaching. Reduces stock pilling and enables clubs to keep the actual juniors they want. And clubs would be funneling money into juniors and development. Win win in my opionion