News Bulldogs eye Panther as hunt resumes for Foxx

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At 25% discount Penrith could get a Salary Cap of $12m. That’s a huge advantage, makes a mockery of the Chooks sombrero. Of course it won’t be the full $12m, that would need all 30 players to be locally developed. So there would have to be a limit, is it 5 players, maybe 10. But then what happens to player number 6 (or 11)? Bad luck you don’t get the discount. Plus of course not all “local areas” are the same, many of them are not even local, Melbourne for example.

No matter how it’s played there will be unfair losers and unworthy winners.

Go Dogs
No matter what they do the rorters will always come out winners imo thanks to uncle nick.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2021 - Burton, Leniu, Naden
Hoppa released to free up cap space.

2022 - JAC, Strike Centre, Hooker.
Napa released with a multitude of other players.

This is best case scenario. Next year we will be competitive but 2022 scares me.

1 Averillo
2 JAC
3 Cotric
4 Staggs
5 Naden
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
8 Thompson
9 McInnes
10 Leniu
11 Elliott
12 RFM
13 Jackson

14 BBO/Wakeham
15 Renouf
16 Ogden
17 Hetherington

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2021 - Burton, Leniu, Naden
Hoppa released to free up cap space.

2022 - JAC, Strike Centre, Hooker.
Napa released with a multitude of other players.

This is best case scenario. Next year we will be competitive but 2022 scares me.

1 Averillo
2 JAC
3 Cotric
4 Staggs
5 Naden
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
8 Thompson
9 McInnes
10 Leniu
11 Elliott
12 RFM
13 Jackson

14 BBO/Wakeham
15 Renouf
16 Ogden
17 Hetherington
Don’t think Naden will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Kind of makes you wonder what the point of developing juniors is.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope we get em all. But if the nrl doesn’t do more to reward clubs who develop gun juniors it will be an ordinary comp in 10 years.

Maybe even a comp with blokes who have ability like Lachlan Lewis win the dally m
To be fair panthers had no issues signing players when they had or for that matter the act with Cleary at the tigers after he fucked their cap?

Api? Tamou? Whare? Maloney? List goes on.

It’s only different now you got a good bunch of kids coming through. All clubs go through it.

We did with taupau finucane klemmer Kasiano lane barba Reynolds list goes on.

Happened since before days to like mason thurston Myles asotaso sbw price reni etc.

Last edited:

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s a fair assessment Personel but I like seeing players come through the grades. If we have to buy one or two. Per year. I understand it. But development is also critical
100%, this has to be a focus & clubs should be supported to maintain those that do come through

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Montoya
Holland (to Newcastle local league )
Reynolds
I think we have faired better than Penrith lol
Holland isn’t a Bulldogs junior.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we signed R. Jennings and/or Eisenhuth we probably would of spat the dummy to be fair. They were probably signed close to minimum wage so the Panthers have extra funds to retain players. Okay depth options, but that's about it.
It wasn't that long ago that Rennings was top tryscorer and people on here wanted to sign him up. That was the year he sat on Souths left wing and fell over for 20 tries.
Eisenhuth is a solid middle forward, similar mould to Tolman, reliable in defence and good for a number of 8m hit ups.
On minimum wage or close to it, they're astute signings, but I agree, they would have been hammered on here.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spot on !
What's a contract these days ?
The trouble is there is never a perfect solution. Penrith have a substantial advantage due to their catchment area, whereas a team like the Rorters have very few juniors, but a massive Mexican hat! So if you give all of these dispensations to the teams with lots of juniors, then it massively changes the balance to the advantage of teams like Penrith and Brisbane.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Como not the Eastern suburbs, against club rules
Haha remind to let Josh Jackson know when I see him in Coles Kareela next time. At least Bryson Goodwin, Michael Ennis & James Graham have all moved on otherwise they'd be breaking the rules too.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trouble is there is never a perfect solution. Penrith have a substantial advantage due to their catchment area, whereas a team like the Rorters have very few juniors, but a massive Mexican hat! So if you give all of these dispensations to the teams with lots of juniors, then it massively changes the balance to the advantage of teams like Penrith and Brisbane.
Yep agreed and that’s why the dispensation should be based on the size of their catchment. Penrith wouldn’t get as much as say the bulldogs or roosters.

I agree there is no perfect system but Penrith put a shit ton of work into developing quality juniors and should be rewarded in my opinion.

Compare them to say the warriors who have a whole country to pick from but don’t put the time and money into their pathways.

There is still an advantage to develop players but it doesn’t last long. Penrith this year had quality juniors playing for them at a fraction of their market value. Same with us in 2004.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep agreed and that’s why the dispensation should be based on the size of their catchment. Penrith wouldn’t get as much as say the bulldogs or roosters.

I agree there is no perfect system but Penrith put a shit ton of work into developing quality juniors and should be rewarded in my opinion.

Compare them to say the warriors who have a whole country to pick from but don’t put the time and money into their pathways.

There is still an advantage to develop players but it doesn’t last long. Penrith this year had quality juniors playing for them at a fraction of their market value. Same with us in 2004.
Yeah for sure. Or maybe the NRLol should pay for it??...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Warriors don't have any money, let alone money to spend on pathways.

Go Dogs

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, Leniu is mentioned on TK and then boom 2 days later it's in the papers
Maybe I should start a rumour that Lebron James has signed as FB and see what happens. Maybe the media might take the bait
That cant be right, Lebron is contracted to the Lakers still for another few years..your sources are sus...