News Bulldogs eye huge DWZ-Leilua swap

Steve Bos

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He doesn't have a player option, it's a club option (which won't be taken up obviously).
None of it then makes sense (ie. there will be no offsetting of salaries next year if our club willingly extends Leilua). I don’t even know why this is even called a ‘swap’ when BJ is not under contract for next year? The swap figures for this year would be of low materiality when you factor in they have received most of their payments for this year.

I’m guessing this will only make sense if we extend Leilua on the cheap next year. Dogs will still have to stump up near on half for DWZ for next year that won’t change. That’s not a swap for next year if we willingly extend Leilua.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I doubt he would play in the second row for us.

You would assume that, as a part of the swap, that BJ will pick up his player option for next year (whatever that amount is).

At first I was a hard no on this but am starting to come around a bit. We literally have no centres on the roster for next year except for Naden (Alomoti is still a year and a bit away).

Given our attacking struggles it makes
Sense to make a play for Leilua and Shaun Johnson. They have points in them and we need points! I think that even Barrett has realised that you need to bridge with your recruitment (ie. Leilua is just a bridge for Alomoti). Again we also have no centres so swapping DWZ for Leilua would also balance the roster.
We've gotta do better than that...

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can someone please post the announcement where the Bulldogs signed the Wests Tigers cap & list manager? The only way I could comprehend such a swap would be if we'd signed this turd.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understand some here talking about the benefit next year but still makes no sense to me to swap a better player with worse one and still have to pay more.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The only way this makes sense is if bj is off contract end of this year and we don’t have Dwz cap on the books next year. We could use Burton’s money we have now to pay Dwz half his contract for next year so we are completely free of this debt next year (that’s assuming Dwz is on 800k next year and bj is 300-400k)

Did I read bj is still contracted next year ? If so fuck no.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No more paying players to play at other clubs!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe then, if that option NEVER available, they'll finally learn to choose players more wisely in the first place.
Yep agree we need to be more careful but all clubs pay freight on players they want to get rid of. The best team in the comp is Penrith and they are paying freight on Hetho, Mansour, Whare and at least one other.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep agree we need to be more careful but all clubs pay freight on players they want to get rid of. The best team in the comp is Penrith and they are paying freight on Hetho, Mansour, Whare and at least one other.
Only because they have better cheaper coming thru. We're just trying to get rid of overpaid duds :(

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only because they have better cheaper coming thru. We're just trying to get rid of overpaid duds :(
Yep for sure.

But like I said all clubs do it. I think the last board said we would never do it again because we were paying freight on Woods, Klemmer and Mbye. Fans were pissed at that so they used that to get elected.

Its fanciful to think that we wont do it in future and it just wont happen. If the club uses that stance then you can never get out of a bad deal. We have Hetho and Flanagan playing for us this year with other clubs picking up their freight.

I definitely agree though that we need to be more careful because shitty overpaid contracts got us into this mess

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Wait. This actually might be serious?

Doesn't make sense in the slightest or am I missing something? Had a chance to bring him here, steered well away from him. But, we're going to to back and try and get him when he's not even making the 1st team for the Tigers? And we've been talking about no quick fixes?

Can't be serious this. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Apparently joeys contract for next year is in the clubs favour. We don’t have to take that on and also wouldn’t have Dallin on our books. At $550k I’d persist with Dal for next year but if the $800k+ rumour is even close to true it’s worth exploring options like this.