1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Official Bulldogs extend the contract of local junior Jake Averillo

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by Jackson_1994, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jackson_1994

Jackson_1994 Forum Regular

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are pleased to announce that they have extended the contract of talented back Jake Averillo for a further year, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2021 season.

The local junior, who was a product of the Moorebank Rams club, has come through the Bulldogs system, being a star member of the club's SG Ball side in 2018, before moving on to Jersey Flegg last season.
    He also made an impressive entry into the Canterbury Cup in 2019 and has been rewarded for his progression by being named in the Bulldogs Top 30 NRL squad this season.

Averillo is now in full training with the NRL squad at Belmore and is a player to watch out for this season.

Really great news but I would have tied him up for a lot longer same as R Smith not sure 1 year deals will keep clubs away from these players

• Like Like x 22
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Immortal

Didn't think we'd get this done so soon. Good to see

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

Great news but he should have been extended longer! He is a very important piece of the puzzle going forward and I really hope he is let off the leash early next year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. dekepefc

dekepefc Forum Regular

I guess it means we get to see how they perform in 1st grade before throwing more money at them.. the negative is if they do well we could be up for big coin to keep them. I think the smith signing is more about seeing how he continues to develop. He has the ability to go from a solid first grader into a really good one.. but not sure he is quite there yet (I think he will get there)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. KLil

KLil Immortal

Throw him on the wing instead of Meaney... Then throw him into centre the year after with Harding comng onto the wing.

6. DinkumDog

DinkumDog Forum Regular Gilded

Notice how all recent extensions have only been done until the end of ‘21? (Excluding DWZ, or those done earlier eg: Stimson or CHN).

Can’t help but think this is part of some plan we will see unveiled soon enough...

But yeah, looking forward to seeing more of him in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Jackson_1994

Jackson_1994 Forum Regular

That's what I thought as well these 1 year deals are odd the likes of Remis Renouf and now Averillo I would have signed them for a lot longer especially Averillo and Smith it don't stop a club this time next year to ask questions hopefully Wakeman next but signs a longer deal

8. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

He isn't a winger I would blood him at centre with a view to the halves in the long term.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

There must be some plan behind the one year deals there is just too many of them for there not be some thought process behind it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Certified G

Certified G Forum Regular

I believe nrl tv deal expires end of 2021. I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mitch Connor

Mitch Connor Super Moderator Staff Member

Definitely planned this way. Personally I like it. Keeps these guys wanting to improve and demand bigger contracts.

I'd be more concerned if other clubs weren't trying to sign our players. It means we are doing something right development wise to make them a wanted commodity.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JackDog

JackDog Kennel Enthusiast

Which will drive the cap, no doubt.

Maybe the club is giving themselves maximum flexibility, seeing which marquee player(s) they can get for 2021-2 and beyond and moulding the team around them.

Really hope we don't up in a similar situation to the Tiggers' Teddy/Moses/Sharon/Brooks fiasco...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

Yeah I don't mind it either and let's be honest longer term deals never seems to work out well for the 'Dogs.

With such a young squad it is probably the right way to go so we can lock in the cream of the crop long term after some NRL experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. wendog33

wendog33 Kennel Enthusiast

Seems crazy to me. Yeah Elliott is a one year player but these recent extensions, those guys are the future to build around. What positive or good plan can anyone see with having majority of your roster's comtracts finishing together?

15. Dawain87

Dawain87 Forum Regular

I'm hoping the Bulldogs have put in clauses where if they see a certain player performing they can essentially upgrade their contract during the year and locking them in further.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

I can see both sides to it but at least he can't sign for another club until next November. So if he kills it we sign him long term and if he doesn't we aren't locked into a bad contract.

I know there is the argument that if we sign him long term now we get him cheaper but that doesn't work these days. Player managers just cause problems until they get a upgrade or release just look at the Ryan Matterson situation as a example.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sancho2020

Sancho2020 Previously Mbappé2020 Gilded

The plan is that they probably don't have much of a plan lol. This just stops them being poached right now and another season to perform and be evaluated...maybe there's even options in the clubs favour in these contracts that is yet to be made public.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
  18. liljohny

liljohny Forum Regular

I'd say Averillo is a very big part of the reason why we haven't gone all out for Mitchell.

• Like Like x 3
  19. coach

coach Immortal

Keeping the right guys at the club

20. speedy2460

speedy2460 Kennel Enthusiast

Really shows the club is not sitting on their hands. Things are happening all the time and will keep happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1