Opinion Bulldogs draw

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
The game in Bundaberg is a transplanted home game. A concept every team should be made to do, even The Broncos.
Why?
U wanna see Canterbury play, u travel to Homebush

U wanna see Liverpool, The cowboys, the Yankees etc
U don't see them taking games away from home

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why?
U wanna see Canterbury play, u travel to Homebush

U wanna see Liverpool, The cowboys, the Yankees etc
U don't see them taking games away from home
Correct. However it is not fair if some teams move home games and others don't. It's either all in or none in from my perspective. I would like to see every team take one home game per year to a country area in order to promote the game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the draw is how it works. Playing some teams twice in a matter of weeks. Then maybe playing a team only once in round 24. This is something that for years I haven’t heard a logical answer for why?

I hate the fact that everyone doesn’t play twice but this is unavoidable. What’s not unavoidable is how the draw is constructed.

At the end of the regular season all odd teams form group A all even teams group B. These are the teams you play twice. As such these are the teams that you play in the first 7-8 rounds.

The argument that there are traditional games that must be played on specific dates isn’t valid either. This is something that can easily be adjusted if it’s a must.
A few years ago I found the draw to be very confusing, especially when we played the same 2 teams only a few weeks apart. So I asked how that happened and it went something like this (I can't recall exactly, but close enough).

We were scheduled to play the Dragons twice that season with even spacing between them which would have meant we would have had to play them on Anzac weekend. Because the Rooster and Dragons requested to play on Anzac Day we couldn't play them that weekend even though it was our "turn". That game had to be moved to a date when we were supposed to play Souths, which in turn meant that we had to play Souths twice that season only 5 weekend apart. Another of our home games was changed to an away game due to the Union using Stadium Australia.

There are so many reasons why the straight forward seemingly simple calendar doesn't work

Hopefully with the Football Stadium back in action that will mean less moving around required. Although I notice that the Chooks are trying to reserve it only for themselves (for NRL normal round games). Fark off Politis, you don't own it, we do.

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A few years ago I found the draw to be very confusing, especially when we played the same 2 teams only a few weeks apart. So I asked how that happened and it went something like this (I can't recall exactly, but close enough).

We were scheduled to play the Dragons twice that season with even spacing between them which would have meant we would have had to play them on Anzac weekend. Because the Rooster and Dragons requested to play on Anzac Day we couldn't play them that weekend even though it was our "turn". That game had to be moved to a date when we were supposed to play Souths, which in turn meant that we had to play Souths twice that season only 5 weekend apart. Another of our home games was changed to an away game due to the Union using Stadium Australia.

There are so many reasons why the straight forward seemingly simple calendar doesn't work

Hopefully with the Football Stadium back in action that will mean less moving around required. Although I notice that the Chooks are trying to reserve it only for themselves (for NRL normal round games). Fark off Politis, you don't own it, we do.

Always a Bulldog
I love it when fans stick it up Politis' backside. Biggest cancer in the game

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Correct. However it is not fair if some teams move home games and others don't. It's either all in or none in from my perspective. I would like to see every team take one home game per year to a country area in order to promote the game.
There were 10 games relocated to regional areas this season.

Always a Bulldog

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I hate the way the NRL have put the bulldogs games on Sundays at 2pm we have had too many games on Sundays the draw is rubbish and someone has to tell the NRL commission this. Hopefully they fix this up for next year's draw.
There's nothing wrong with having consecutive Sunday games considering if gives teams a 7-day turn around. Helps players get over any niggling injuries they may be carrying.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There were 10 games relocated to regional areas this season.

Always a Bulldog
Yeah that's fine mate. My point is there are 16 clubs and as such there are six clubs doing diddly squat to promote the game in areas where the game is struggling.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that's fine mate. My point is there are 16 clubs and as such there are six clubs doing diddly squat to promote the game in areas where the game is struggling.
You could argue that the Warriors, Cowboys, Canbra, Newcastle, Melbourne and Brisbane already play in "regional" areas 8-)

Always a Bulldog

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've got no issues with playing afternoon games when I'm 2 hours ahead in Auckland.

I struggle getting past halftime on those later games these days.

Origin for example doesn't start until past 10PM here - which on a Wednesday is ridiculous.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You could argue that the Warriors, Cowboys, Canbra, Newcastle, Melbourne and Brisbane already play in "regional" areas 8-)

Always a Bulldog
Yes you could. Raiders have taken games to Wagga. Warriors have played us in Wellington and Dunedin as an away team. Cowboys have played Souths as an away game in Cairns a couple of times.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This. If not to a regional area, at least to one where there isn't a team.

My only beef with them playing in Bundy this weekend is... i'll be travelling to bloody Sydney!

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
It’s very simple. When doing the draw use numbers instead of teams. Populate one complete round of competition. Every team plays each other once.

Then the Anzac, Good Friday and whatever else needs to be factored in can be worked out by what numbers work on those weekends. Then the Roosters, Dragons etc get allocated the number that works out to fit those in.

My preference would actually be to play every team once. Then play a representative month with the second round being governed by odds and evens in the same season.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s very simple. When doing the draw use numbers instead of teams. Populate one complete round of competition. Every team plays each other once.

Then the Anzac, Good Friday and whatever else needs to be factored in can be worked out by what numbers work on those weekends. Then the Roosters, Dragons etc get allocated the number that works out to fit those in.

My preference would actually be to play every team once. Then play a representative month with the second round being governed by odds and evens in the same season.
I have no objections to this idea.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Promotion happens in the offseason
Did u see all the premier league sides in Australia this off season?

Malla

Reaction score
If there is one game I really want us to win it's this weekend. Hope we fuckin crack these inbred townsville flops.

transporter

Waterboy
Reaction score
They won’t change things.the tv channels run this game now. It’s all about the good teams and they don’t care about us.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Promotion happens in the offseason
Did u see all the premier league sides in Australia this off season?
Yes I did mate. My wife and I watched Man U play Melbourne Victory on TV. In 2017 we went to ANZ to watch my team (Arsenal), play Sydney FC. On 2019 we went to Bankwest to watch Leeds play the Wanderers.