Opinion Bulldogs draw

superman75

Waterboy
Reaction score
I hate the way the NRL have put the bulldogs games on Sundays at 2pm we have had too many games on Sundays the draw is rubbish and someone has to tell the NRL commission this. Hopefully they fix this up for next year's draw.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hate the way the NRL have put the bulldogs games on Sundays at 2pm we have had too many games on Sundays the draw is rubbish and someone has to tell the NRL commission this. Hopefully they fix this up for next year's draw.
I thought people wanted Sunday games TBH?

2pm Sunday is the closest spot there is to the traditional 3pm Sunday kickoff.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is nothing better than afternoon games, especially for a football team playing exciting footy. The afternoon games the better for me.

I know of plenty of kids who don't watch AFL because it is almost all night footy. You need to brainwash your kids into footy early & night games makes this harder. AFL games go longer & finish later so it is more of an issue for AFL, but 10pm finishes aren't great for kids.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just hate our draw, in years gone by teams finishing at the bottom of the table tended to get an easier draw the following year. We had a tough draw last year,finished last and got an even harder draw this year.
Correct, they used to seed it, they now ask clubs who they want to play against & accommodate as best they can. It's all about the money i.e. gate takings.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
2 pm Sundays or Saturdays is a good time to go to home games, better for the kids, especially if NSW Cup etc games are on the same day (like the good old days).

7/8pm Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays is prime time for staying at home and watching on TV, not so good for the little kids.

Brisbane and Melbourne get prime time because they are one city one team for TV ratings. Get's worse next year when the Dolphins will surely get more than their share of prime time TV.

Bottom teams from last season don't get prime time, despite their large following (especially us). We are now winning and playing attractive football, I would like to think that will means we will get more prime time next year. But I hope only for away games, more than happy to play home games at 2 pm on Sundays or Saturdays.

Always a Bulldog

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our draw has been shit but this feels like a weird thing to complain about. We get to play footy during the best conditions and can maintain a regular training schedule with consistent 7 day turn arounds.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My big bug bear with this years draw is that ours was way out of balance. We started with 5 away games in the first 7 rounds, we finish with 3 away games in the last 4, plus a transplanted HOME game in Bundaberg, and of course the compulsory HOME game in the Magic Round. Year after year teams like Brisbane get favourable draw treatment, a plethora of home games on Prime Time TV, and an away game in Magic Round on their home ground at Suncorp.

I am well aware a computer does the draw based on requests from clubs as to who they don’t want to play at home, but someone at the club should be agitating to the NRL to have our home games more evenly spaced out.

We haven’t had a home game in round 1 since 2017.

As a retired systems analyst I know how computers work. Garbage in garbage out. GIGO.

The draw can easily be fixed the way the NRL want it. A perfect example of this is Good Friday which is not always during the same round every year, yet we always seem to play on that day. Same for Saints and Roosters on Anzac Day, which could be at the start of a round some years, and the end in others Depending on what day of the week April 25 falls on.

Conclusion the draw can be rigged which ever way the NRL want it to be.

The only good thing they have done in recent years is reduce the number of 5 day turnarounds.

Channel 9 undoubtedly have far too much say in what happens. Think back to round 3 as an obvious example when Latrell Mitchell was due to make his return in a game against the Roosters, was that a co-incidence. Then his suspension was shortened by a week.

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct, they used to seed it, they now ask clubs who they want to play against & accommodate as best they can. It's all about the money i.e. gate takings.
It did give bottom dwelling teams a chance though.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
TV have no say who plays who just what day they play. Apart from a few annual clashes like our Easter Friday one vs souths it's random. I dont think the draw favours any team intentionally.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the draw is how it works. Playing some teams twice in a matter of weeks. Then maybe playing a team only once in round 24. This is something that for years I haven’t heard a logical answer for why?

I hate the fact that everyone doesn’t play twice but this is unavoidable. What’s not unavoidable is how the draw is constructed.

At the end of the regular season all odd teams form group A all even teams group B. These are the teams you play twice. As such these are the teams that you play in the first 7-8 rounds.

The argument that there are traditional games that must be played on specific dates isn’t valid either. This is something that can easily be adjusted if it’s a must.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
We only have one home game left

Round 25 vs Manly 6pm at Homebush

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the draw is how it works. Playing some teams twice in a matter of weeks. Then maybe playing a team only once in round 24. This is something that for years I haven’t heard a logical answer for why?

I hate the fact that everyone doesn’t play twice but this is unavoidable. What’s not unavoidable is how the draw is constructed.

At the end of the regular season all odd teams form group A all even teams group B. These are the teams you play twice. As such these are the teams that you play in the first 7-8 rounds.

The argument that there are traditional games that must be played on specific dates isn’t valid either. This is something that can easily be adjusted if it’s a must.
This 2 group scenario was how it was constructed in 1988. You played the other 7 in your group in the first 7 and last 7 weeks of the season. You played the other group in between.

You're correct the current draw is a nonsense in many respects.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We only have one home game left

Round 25 vs Manly 6pm at Homebush
The game in Bundaberg is a transplanted home game. A concept every team should be made to do, even The Broncos.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You play like shit since 2017 you get the shit draw

This Sunday we play in Bundaberg wherever the fk that is, then we have to get on a plane short turnaround to play Wahs on Friday night

The only thing I’m worried about is the short turnaround disrupting the team especially if we cop any injuries vs Cows

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You play like shit since 2017 you get the shit draw

This Sunday we play in Bundaberg wherever the fk that is, then we have to get on a plane short turnaround to play Wahs on Friday night

The only thing I’m worried about is the short turnaround disrupting the team especially if we cop any injuries vs Cows
Fair point. Bundaberg is about half a days drive North of Brisbane at a guess.