Opinion Bulldogs Dodge Bullet With Brandon Smith

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a long while I've thought that no club should be able to offer less than 10% or so of the highest offer.

You look at this bullshit with Tedesco and Manu supposedly on 500k under what others offered per season between them. That half million dollars goes a long way towards another origin player (who'll conveniently also sign for unders). The rule should be that if you can't offer 90% of the highest offer you shouldn't be able to make an offer. Keeps strong teams from potentially being able to cheat the cap massively.
My thoughts exactly.

Although I don’t think that the club should have to pay the player 90% of the highest offer. I think this amount should be taken out of the clubs salary cap though. Any official offer for any player must be submitted to the NRL so it’s clear cut what their salary cap value is.

I think a player is more likely to sign for extra money officially over the less secure TPA.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With our teams in order (that's players, coaching staff, administration and sponsors) there is nothing Politis offers that we couldn't match. There is also nothing that the Rabbits couldn't match either, with 2 x billionaires and 1 x multi millionaire as owners. Surely one of the Laundy's is bad at golf and they have over 30 pubs to staff, plenty of "jobs" going there for retired footballers.

What Politis does do very well, and we need to get good at, is finding a player's weakness, what is it that they truly desire, and then fulfilling that requirement. He actually has staff (and snitches) whose job it is to find out what each player needs, wants or is missing and then passing that information back to Politis. I have heard of him solving a player's problem with a sick mother by introducing them to his medical contacts, his little black book is very useful. A job for the sister in law, no problem, private school for the kids, consider it done, need a loan for that house extension, no problem talk to this guy.

If we want to beat the prick then we have to outplay him and get around the salary cap legally the same as he does. The time for farkin around and playing the straight bat is gone.

Always a Bulldog

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe deep down he knows he's not that good and going to the Dolphins would only show everyone that he actually isn't that good, hence going to the Chooks is a safe option for him as he has a ~$13m sombrero to make up for his deficiencies.

Always a Bulldog
That's actually a decent possiblity. Good post!

Cash in whilst he can, before getting shown up at a side with a weaker roster.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m so glad that we landed our junior reed mahoney over Brandon smith.
The way Brandon has carried himself during negotiations has been appalling to say the least.
Our club has been through the mud with off field incidents we don’t need any more rubbish from players damaging the hard work of the new board.
Go Dogs from spooners to premiers .
I know for a fact that our club went cold on him after his cocaine experience.
He probably chose the rotters because any indiscreations their would be covered up of watered down, where as at the our club to would have been blown out of all preportions.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how Smith carried himself poorly during the negotiations?
Probably pissed people off showboating a bit.. and if its true that he didn't pay respects to Melb by promising to speak with them and not holding his word, that's poor form. I don't mind the bloke, but I'm pretty happy we got Mahoney over Smith... but fuck the Roosters saying they got Cheese cheap because he wants to play for them for less money... rorting continues

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know for a fact that our club went cold on him after his cocaine experience.
Did we ever really make a play for him? I don’t think we ever made him an actual offer or even met with him officially.

Let alone provide a succulent Chinese meal.. :tearsofjoy:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did we ever really make a play for him? I don’t think we ever made him an actual offer or even met with him officially.

Let alone provide a succulent Chinese meal.. :tearsofjoy:
I can never read the words a succulent Chinese meal without hearing it in the voice of the democracy manifest guy.

And you sir, are you waiting to receive my limp penis!!

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blokes a gun stop spooking cause we didn’t sign him…

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smith's attitude in negotiations highlights just how poorly designed the NRL's transfer system is to begin with.

Letting a player sign a contract a year ahead is always going to create these problems. But also notice how what Smith did the media is far less likely to portray him or the Roosters in a negative light as opposed to the constant streams of Kikau's negative articles. Both of them are the exact same issue except one is showing the Roosters in a positive light and the other us and the player in question in a negative light

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The more media attention he gets the more reasons I'm happy he didn't end up at the Dogs, Panthers quick to come out and shut it down tells me alot.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I’m so glad that we landed our junior reed mahoney over Brandon smith.
The way Brandon has carried himself during negotiations has been appalling to say the least.
Our club has been through the mud with off field incidents we don’t need any more rubbish from players damaging the hard work of the new board.
Go Dogs from spooners to premiers .

How is mahoney a Queenslander "our Junior" ?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way he rewarded Sam Perrett? Or even Mitchell Pearce (as much as I don't like the guy). Everybody is expendable in Uncle Nick's organisation. Including the Cheezel.
And yet not one of these "expendables" has ever stepped forward to reveal the paper bags or any of the other under table payments we've supposed to have made to them during their tenure at the club? I've always wondered why, perhaps you can explain it?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And yet not one of these "expendables" has ever stepped forward to reveal the paper bags or any of the other under table payments we've supposed to have made to them during their tenure at the club? I've always wondered why, perhaps you can explain it?
His reach is far and wiiide and all persuasive :grinning:

We admit we are salty and wish we had that kind of corrupting influence ...but...it's all true I tell ya :grinning:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because Uncle Nick would cut off their legacy payments from Cayman Island accounts.

I think the realistic explanation is that they don't want to implicate themselves in any wrongdoing and open themselves up to any investigations or audits, even after their careers are over.

Your boy Fletch constantly alludes to the brown paper bags. Even Brandon Smith mentioned how they set you up for life and look after your financial interests after your career is over.