News Bulldogs directors losing patience with struggling Barrett

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One option may be that Ciraldo comes across as assistant coach next year and if Barrett continues to flounder he gets replaced.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus is smart. They will support and give Barrett everything he needs to be successful. If he can’t deliver then he seals his own fate. The tap on the shoulder follows saying mate we’ve done all we can for you. Best you step aside or will be forced to. That’s all there is to it really.
Well that’s what is happening now and the reason why he hasn’t been given the ass. The club will have to do something in the coming weeks if we don’t get some wins fast.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us last year where prepared to assess Baz till round 10 this year with a better roster at his disposal.

We're at that point now.

Same coach, same assistants, same game plans and same results.
I hope the powers to be at the club have something of a plan that doesn't incorporate persisting with anything or anyone to do with this coaching staff.
I agree but club has really dug itself in a big hole my friend.
Laundys @ Barrett best of mates
Phil Gould @ Barrett we’ll soon find how close that relationship is.
Our club has a a conflict of interest everywhere it seems.
Fans crying out for a true leader now.
Like hitting your head against the brick wall to be honest
6E281D3D-CB91-4202-A4C1-BBB271DDDD7B.gif

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould has been very public in his backing of Trent Barrett but has a new challenge on his hands with the brittle Canterbury board splintering when it comes to the coach.

It was always going to be tough for the loser of the wooden spoon clash at Magic Round on Friday night against the Knights; Bulldogs fans have turned on the club, and the board listens to what their fans are saying.

The club is sitting at the bottom of the table and is showing nothing in attack, an area of the game where Barrett is supposed to excel.

Barrett has barely won a game in his time at the Bulldogs, and no club or board can tolerate that. His record makes for dismal reading: three wins from 24 starts last year and two from 10 this campaign for just five victories in 34 games in all (15 per cent).

Gould will continue to support Barrett and won’t sack him.

The loss to Newcastle has rattled the coach, and the season is already taking its toll on him.
What’s worse for the coach is that he has overseen the majority of the recruits who are at the club.

I’ve asked Gould on numerous occasions about the Barrett strategy and he has backed him strongly. However, Dean Paywas shown the door with a far better record (19 wins from 57 starts), and this board doesn’t appear to be on the same page as the coach.

Embattled Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett.

Embattled Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett.

There are obvious contenders to replace Barrett, but it’s going to take whoever is in charge at least another 18 months of pain before the Bulldogs will see the light.

Big-name recruits Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney will arrive next year and Kikau has a strong connection with Barrett from their time at the Panthers. The club could also bring in fresh support for Barrett, but he already has the best coaching mind in the game at the club in Gould. While “Gus” has no desire to coach, that may be the best solution in terms of support for the coach.

I agree with a lot of kennelers saying sack Barrett but he's not on the ground dropping balls and making stupid decisions, these players have probably been playing league since they were kids so there's no excuse for dropping the ball umpteen times and not even trying.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody that backs this fraud has the Dogs best interest at heart and can fuck off with him.
The whole coaching staff needs to go! The players are no where near as fit as they should be, skill level is below average! As the other teams are starting to hit peak fitness we are still way off! We can't keep up the pace for 80 mins and mistakes and ill discipline get worse as the game goes on! We are trying to play like Panthers and we don't have the skill! We played better when the halves were getting more ball against roosters when JJ was off with covid!

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest problem the club has is it seems our GM is delusional and our coach is completely delusional.

GM thinks TB is the man to coach the team, therefore won't sack the coach.

Coach thinks he's fit to be a coach and therefore won't stand down.

Board therefore ultimately will have to step in because anyone who has an interest in the game can see that coach is not up to standard

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of kennelers saying sack Barrett but he's not on the ground dropping balls and making stupid decisions, these players have probably been playing league since they were kids so there's no excuse for dropping the ball umpteen times and not even trying.
But the negative karma Barrett is generating by a negative game plan and his team selections with people who are playing poorly are causing
Players to switch off.
That’s why the massive error count.
Coach represents the expression of football we play,he is the conductor.
Well you can see the end result

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but he is fukin responsible for developing our structures in attack so we can score more than 10 points a game...anyone could say to their team just run and don't pass the ball...what the fuk does he do at training?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE SMOKE HAS BEGUN!!!

Don't be fooled into thinking that Gus didn't know about this story prior to Weidler writing it.

Weidler has been an absolute scumbag reporter to the Bulldogs for the previous 20 odd years & it aint no coincidence that his stance has changed ever since Gus arrived back in Belmore. In fact I cant remember any negative story by him about us since then which is totally unlike Weidler.

No matter what Gus comes out & says publicly, his job is to direct the football club toward success regardless who the coach is.

Gus knows better than anyone in the game & I'll use his famous quote - "Losing Is Bad For Business Baby", & it's his job to help reverse this.

He sees what we all see but I would say he sees it clearer than any of us, although publicly he aint gonna bag his own & I wouldn't want him to as it would portray us as a really shit club with really shit leadership.

Next question is why the story & why now?

Because unfortunately there is no papering over the cracks anymore, Barrett is clearly not up to the job of improving this team which was most evident in our deplorable effort V's the bottom placed Knights who a also travelling like busted arses.

By highlighting the frustration, disappointment & loss of patience by the board it gives explanation to what happens next - which let's all be honest & grown up about it, it is not nice when someone losses their job.

It effects not only the person getting sacked, but more importantly the loved ones around him - specifically his wife & children, & unfortunately unlike 99% of us this type of sacking happens in a very public domain which makes the hurt harder to deal with & especially for kids.

I also think that this will also be the hardest sacking for Gus as I honestly believe he does really like Baz, as well as being very tricky due to the fact that both Baz & Gus have the same manager.

Therefore, the media release when it does go down will be that this was a board decision and was out of Gus's control.

Gus will also tell us that he pleaded with the board to give Baz more time but their decision could not be overturned.

Gus will also tell us how effected he personally is by the decision & how he is personally providing support to Baz & his family to get through this very difficult time as well as support from the Bulldogs.

THE FIRE IS ON THE WAY!!!

The hardest part to this mess will be - JUST WHO THE HELL WILL COACH US NEXT - Craig Fitzgibbon would have been alright (sigh).

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loved the last minute change of our new right centre and wing combo. Worked a treat to solve our problems.
One was a mannequin and the other a crash test dummy.
I don't know for sure, but I got a feeling Baz did that as a little clip to Averillo for answering the question at the mid week presser about his preferred playing position.

The kid answered honestly by saying Fullback or 6 - when maybe they expected a team first vanilla answer of "Anywhere to help the team".

He shouldn't have been punished just for his immaturity though.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree but club has really dug itself in a big hole my friend.
Laundys @ Barrett best of mates
Phil Gould @ Barrett we’ll soon find how close that relationship is.
Our club has a a conflict of interest everywhere it seems.
Fans crying out for a true leader now.
Like hitting your head against the brick wall to be honest
View attachment 50273
What rubbish comments ..

It’s a business and a professional organisation will make the best decision for the business not on personal agendas

A sponsor is way different to a club administrator . Couldn’t give a rats ass about what a sponsors demands are .

Gould will have no issue replacing Barrett if needed and it will be a decision based on business not friendship

The board is elected from the people to serve the people , well members and Gould has shown he can make those tough calls when required .

Gould sees a good coach in Barrett and to be honest I thought So too but when you look at successful organisations in what ever sports, there’s a lot of moving parts that have to move in sync and at the moment we look unbalanced

We have strong administration but a weak roster and coaching/ support staff. The combination of latter ensures results like last few years we will have to endure a little longer but the strength of our organisation means you know things are being put in place to rectify the errors of our ways the last decade or so .

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whatever people want to say about the source, I'm glad these articles are being written.. It adds pressure on the club to act sooner.. With every loss more articles like this will be written which surely means it's only a matter of time til they act.
With recruitment we had, most expected us to be better than we are now. Glad the heat is on him.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
You hear that Baz? That’s the sound of them drums…

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hearing Phil is looking to bringing in a old school coach and a Assistant who will take over when the time is right, I haven't heard any names, Obviously the Penrith Assistant will be looking for a job soon as Cleary is there forever, but his not ready for this squad yet ?
Very informative and love the detail. Thanks.

Malla

Reaction score
Sacking him is easy but then what next? Roster is still shit.