News Bulldogs directors losing patience with struggling Barrett

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difficult decission Gould and the board will is findung a replacement, I understand that many believe that to repeat Bill Haden's words "a drovers dog" would do a better job.
I am not convinced that all of the possible replacements ie. Flanagan, Ciraldo, Morris, Green, Woolfe or whoever else. are all jumping out of their skin to take over.
Of all those I would not want Flannagan not because of his past but because of favouratism he would have for his useless son.
We must not forget the Hasler period, when we were all doing hand stands when he was appointed, yet IMHO and that of some others he never had his heart in the club, which tells me that he actually had a hatred for our club, and only came because the money was double what he had been paid at Manly.
For a start I would replace all the assistants, except for the CC coach.
If Barrett was responsible for the signing of Burton JAC, Mahoney and Kikau, perhaps the club could keep his as an assistant, because I believe that our defence coach and the skills coach all have had something to do with our current onfield results.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whatever people want to say about the source, I'm glad these articles are being written.. It adds pressure on the club to act sooner.. With every loss more articles like this will be written which surely means it's only a matter of time til they act.
Spot on, I have little respect for the Jurnos but its time like these that can work in our favour to get action.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difficult decission Gould and the board will is findung a replacement, I understand that many believe that to repeat Bill Haden's words "a drovers dog" would do a better job.
I am not convinced that all of the possible replacements ie. Flanagan, Ciraldo, Morris, Green, Woolfe or whoever else. are all jumping out of their skin to take over.
Of all those I would not want Flannagan not because of his past but because of favouratism he would have for his useless son.
We must not forget the Hasler period, when we were all doing hand stands when he was appointed, yet IMHO and that of some others he never had his heart in the club, which tells me that he actually had a hatred for our club, and only came because the money was double what he had been paid at Manly.
For a start I would replace all the assistants, except for the CC coach.
If Barrett was responsible for the signing of Burton JAC, Mahoney and Kikau, perhaps the club could keep his as an assistant, because I believe that our defence coach and the skills coach all have had something to do with our current onfield results.
Ummm...when Flanagan is off contract at the end of 2023 he gets pissed off....surely it will not just come down to senior Flanagan if he was our coach next year whether his son earn another contreact

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That article was just some dumb opinion piece. Weidler just thinks we are sacking him because of previous records and events that have happened to previous coaches, not any suggestions of actual movement or anger currently between Baz and the board. Great journalism contradicting shit.

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll take the article with a grain of salt but if by chance Gus really believes Barrett is somehow going to change the clubs fortunes then he has lost the plot.
I'm wondering if Gus own stubborn nature may be influencing his own better judgement here.

Gus didn't want Barrett to go to the dogs.
He said it would ruin his coaching career.
Gus knew how bad things were at the dogs.
He knew what was required to rebuild and obviously knew Barrett wasn't the right fit.

He has now come into the dogs.
Has Gus made it his mission to save Barrett?
And he is now hell bent to keep Barrett on no matter what so Barrett is still at the club when we eventually start to improve?

TAS

All In
Reaction score
I agree bro. Sacking Baz mid season will appease lots of fans but not sure it improves results
I agree that results may not miraculously improve in the short term but the way I see it is when you identify the cancer you need to cut it out quickly before it spreads and makes the condition worse and more difficult to cure later.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure how Barrett’s being shielded. It’s Barrett that fronts up to post match pressers and have to justify the crap his weekly coaching produces week in week out. Barrett can’t hide & has to cop the scrutiny particularly from the Raiders & Knights embarrassments.
The problem is Barrett’s replacement…,
A loss against the Tigers on the other hand…….
We lost against raiders and knights.. it shouldnt take a loss against the tigers because tigers are better than knights and raiders

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing Phil is looking to bringing in a old school coach and a Assistant who will take over when the time is right, I haven't heard any names, Obviously the Penrith Assistant will be looking for a job soon as Cleary is there forever, but his not ready for this squad yet ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Weazler is part of the Ch9 media group. Gus' team.

When he starts writing stuff like this you gotta kinda think Gus knows about it in some shape or form.

It could be the start of the fix to start replacing Baz' support staff because something has to be done to start to effect change.

Nek minute Gus states sadly this is our first step towards a re-set with a change of assistant staff and they should take the money and have a holiday and he will be more hands on in helping to assist his mate Trent and to then assess our results and any necessary roster "adjustments" indicating that Baz will be held to account as well as Gus himself at the end of the season.

I hope it goes like that for now at least but it is a shame the assistants might be the initial fall guys. But rest assued Gus will have evaluated them by now and any he views as having done their job well, will be kept.

Our successful Cup coach would be safe.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Gus own stubborn nature may be influencing his own better judgement here.

Gus didn't want Barrett to go to the dogs.
He said it would ruin his coaching career.
Gus knew how bad things were at the dogs.
He knew what was required to rebuild and obviously knew Barrett wasn't the right fit.

He has now come into the dogs.
Has Gus made it his mission to save Barrett?
And he is now hell bent to keep Barrett on no matter what so Barrett is still at the club when we eventually start to improve?
I think Gus’ reputation is most important to him. He won’t protect anyone at his own expense. When journos start writing about Gus being unable to rebuild the club he will move into action. Hopefully that’s soon.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us last year where prepared to assess Baz till round 10 this year with a better roster at his disposal.

We're at that point now.

Same coach, same assistants, same game plans and same results.
I hope the powers to be at the club have something of a plan that doesn't incorporate persisting with anything or anyone to do with this coaching staff.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’ll take the article with a grain of salt but if by chance Gus really believes Barrett is somehow going to change the clubs fortunes then he has lost the plot.
The sad part is, even if Barrett improves next season (if he is here)... He has already shown he cannot coach on the run or adapt opposition changes... So if we miraculously make finals in future, we would likely bow out under the first sign of pressure.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
thats ok, the bulldogs fans have already lost faith in the directors
how much longer until the directors grow some balls and sack barrett

the directors are just as much to blame for this shit show as barrett is

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Weazler is part of the Ch9 media group. Gus' team.

When he starts writing stuff like this you gotta kinda think Gus knows about it in some shape or form.

It could be the start of the fix to start replacing Baz
Was thinking along the same lines as far as this point you made.
I can't see Weilder writing this piece without Gus knowing to some extent.
This could be Gus using pressure on the board to sack Barrett rather than Gus sacking Barrett, that way his support isn't openly criticised for the next incoming coach.

Just me passing BS though I have no idea

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Was thinking along the same lines as far as this point you made.
I can't see Weilder writing this piece without Gus knowing to some extent.
This could be Gus using pressure on the board to sack Barrett rather than Gus sacking Barrett, that way his support isn't openly criticised for the next incoming coach.

Just me passing BS though I have no idea
Great minds and all that lol

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is smart. They will support and give Barrett everything he needs to be successful. If he can’t deliver then he seals his own fate. The tap on the shoulder follows saying mate we’ve done all we can for you. Best you step aside or will be forced to. That’s all there is to it really.