News Bulldogs Dilemma: Which NSW gun to target?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I mean I'm comfortable in Barretts judgment in paying JAC what he's worth. As a FB or winger.

I'm also comfortable if Barrett thinks he can use him at FB.

I personally think he'll go good at FB, if that's what Barret is thinking.
I'm not, Baz hasn't proved shit yet lol.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Stimson will come good. We’re gonna have immense depth in our forwards this year. Nice and mobile
Agree but we also need forwards that can bend the line offload in traffic and create 2 nd phase play. Do we have many of those ?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not, Baz hasn't proved shit yet lol.
Lol. Yeah of course he still has to prove himself as a coach, but I'm talking about the decisions he's made the deals he's done thus far. All of them imo, are good.

It could all turn to custard of course, who knows lol.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Put it this way. If Pay was chasing JAC I wouldn't be as comfortable with the signing, because it would come off as just chasing a name player for the sake of it.

Baz, from his interview, sounds like he has an idea of how he wants JAC play in his system.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol. Yeah of course he still has to prove himself as a coach, but I'm talking about the decisions he's made the deals he's done thus far. All of them imo, are good.

It could all turn to custard of course, who knows lol.
Yes it could all turn to shit like you said and you know what's going on down here when it does lol.

I just want the season to start already so we can get a feel of where players and the club is at. We could have a few bolters and that may change our plans...or we get flogged by 30 and it's time to get the toaster out and have a bath :tearsofjoy:

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes it could all turn to shit like you said and you know what's going on down here when it does lol.

I just want the season to start already so we can get a feel of where players and the club is at. We could have a few bolters and that may change our plans...or we get flogged by 30 and it's time to get the toaster out and have a bath :tearsofjoy:
Yeah I'm much calmer in preseason, come the season ill be off my nut calling for sacking galore if we're rubbish....being patient with Baz will be out the window lol

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what makes you think he will magically pile on the try assists at fullback? Are you just hoping it happens or have seen something in his game that makes you confident it will happen? Latrell hasn't really made a success of the transition either (he wasn't terrible but not great) and if anything Souths as a team looked better once Allen came in there. You are making a lot of assumptions on Bellamy he could have seen limitations in JAC's game too as it stands Bellamy believes JAC is a better winger then he is fullback. The 3 fullbacks we have recently tried have all moved positions to play there it shows you how risky it is.

So JAC is asking for $800k so how will we land him for $650k? There is plenty of competition for his signature I doubt you get him for $150k less then his asking price. You just can't just teach a passing game in a few weeks it could take months or even seasons.

Having faith in Barrett doesn't mean you can't question his decisions. It's a fact of life he's not going to make the right decisions every single time. He just needs to make more right decisions then wrong ones and he will be fine.
Latrell went pretty good at fullback. Andrew Johns came out and publicly stated he was wrong when he said Latrell wouldn't handle it. Billy Slater, Craig Bellamy and Brad Fittler have all said publicly they believe JAC will make a successful transition. Barrett obviously thinks so too. I kind of think those guys (especially Slater who played with JAC) would know more than you and me hey ? With his current skill set I can't see any reason why he would prove to be a failure. Even if he doesn't have the passing game of some other fullbacks I really think he will be effective overall and more effective in other areas than most fullbacks because of his speed - his speed in chasing attacking kicks, his speed in defending kicks, his speed at running into gaps created by our halves, his speed in cover defence. He has a great side step - unlike DWZ, Hopoate and Meaney. He has good hands unlike DWZ.

I think JAC will end up taking 650K because no-one is going to offer him more and when they don't he'll end up accepting our offer hopefully because it will be the best still hopefully. If Cotric is worth 650K then so is JAC. If we offer the same as Souths (to play wing there) then yes he probably would take their offer but if we're 100K more a season and offering a fullback spot potentially then I think we have a really good shot.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can people stop using A John's views on football as some type of benchmark as to whether a player will make it in a certain position? The guy is fucking clueless.

Its like taking the unbelievable insight of @Dawgfather seriously! Why anyone would do it is beyond me.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Latrell went pretty good at fullback. Andrew Johns came out and publicly stated he was wrong when he said Latrell wouldn't handle it. Billy Slater, Craig Bellamy and Brad Fittler have all said publicly they believe JAC will make a successful transition. Barrett obviously thinks so too. I kind of think those guys (especially Slater who played with JAC) would know more than you and me hey ? With his current skill set I can't see any reason why he would prove to be a failure. Even if he doesn't have the passing game of some other fullbacks I really think he will be effective overall and more effective in other areas than most fullbacks because of his speed - his speed in chasing attacking kicks, his speed in defending kicks, his speed at running into gaps created by our halves, his speed in cover defence. He has a great side step - unlike DWZ, Hopoate and Meaney. He has good hands unlike DWZ.

I think JAC will end up taking 650K because no-one is going to offer him more and when they don't he'll end up accepting our offer hopefully because it will be the best still hopefully. If Cotric is worth 650K then so is JAC. If we offer the same as Souths (to play wing there) then yes he probably would take their offer but if we're 100K more a season and offering a fullback spot potentially then I think we have a really good shot.
So Bellamy, Slater and Fittler have never been wrong on anything? Using them to base you argument on is a pretty weak one just because they believe he will go well there doesn’t guarantee a thing. You just said speed over and over again I get it he’s fast it’s JAC’s biggest weapon but you need more then that to be even a semi decent fullback.

If JAC accepts $650k he will go to Souths. Call me skeptical but I don’t think he could really care less about playing fullback it’s only a ploy to milk a bigger deal.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quietly think he is wrapped he has walked into a potential AFB and Tapau at the club.
Totally agree where pay brushed them and couldn’t pick napa and tols fucken killed me

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So Bellamy, Slater and Fittler have never been wrong on anything? Using them to base you argument on is a pretty weak one just because they believe he will go well there doesn’t guarantee a thing. You just said speed over and over again I get it he’s fast it’s JAC’s biggest weapon but you need more then that to be even a semi decent fullback.

If JAC accepts $650k he will go to Souths. Call me skeptical but I don’t think he could really care less about playing fullback it’s only a ploy to milk a bigger deal.
That is all it's about. If he signs as a 'fullback' he will con our club out of 800k + and we are back to a salary cap mess.

JAC ain't a fullback's arsehole.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We won't pay JAC 800k+, more like 600-700k. We're also paying him to come to a bottom team not expected to do much next year. We call that overs, regardless if JAC is playing wing or fullback. We just did the same with Cotric. We can play JAC fullback to justify paying overs/fullback money, but I'd keep him on the wing personally.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes I'm sure all 4 of them including Barrett have been wrong about certain things individually but all four of them wrong about the same thing ? Unlikely you would think. If you think you're a better judge than the 4 of them put together then I guess you missed your calling. Have any top former players or coaches come out to support your belief it seems that he absolutely can't be a good fullback ?. Have you seen him play a bad game there ?

He did play fullback in the juniors apparently so it's not like he's never played there. All our great fullbacks of the past Rod Silva, Luke Patten, Mick Potter, Ben Barba all had two things in common - speed and a great sidestep. I can't remember any of them being great at try assists. Yes if the cover defence got them after they made a break they would pass the ball if they had to. I'm pretty sure JAC knows how to pass the ball when he needs to. Can't you just imagine JAC being a real threat chasing kicks our halves put into the in-goal ? Can't you imagine JAC running a good line at a gap and our halves getting the ball to him before it closes ? I can.

Why do I think he'll prove better than DWZ, Hopa and Meaney ? Because he's a class above all 3 already. They're not in the same league.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree but I'm sure you'll be just as happy as me if we sign him and he turns out to be more than a good fullback.

Souths won't pay JAC 650K to play wing. Max for "any" winger would be 550-600K. Us and the Tigers are the only ones willing to pay him a bit more to play fullback and he's already shown he doesn't want to go to the Tigers.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm sure all 4 of them including Barrett have been wrong about certain things individually but all four of them wrong about the same thing ? Unlikely you would think. If you think you're a better judge than the 4 of them put together then I guess you missed your calling. Have any top former players or coaches come out to support your belief it seems that he absolutely can't be a good fullback ?. Have you seen him play a bad game there ?

He did play fullback in the juniors apparently so it's not like he's never played there. All our great fullbacks of the past Rod Silva, Luke Patten, Mick Potter, Ben Barba all had two things in common - speed and a great sidestep. I can't remember any of them being great at try assists. Yes if the cover defence got them after they made a break they would pass the ball if they had to. I'm pretty sure JAC knows how to pass the ball when he needs to. Can't you just imagine JAC being a real threat chasing kicks our halves put into the in-goal ? Can't you imagine JAC running a good line at a gap and our halves getting the ball to him before it closes ? I can.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree but I'm sure you'll be just as happy as me if we sign him and he turns out to be more than a good fullback.

Souths won't pay JAC 650K to play wing. Max for "any" winger would be 550-600K. Us and the Tigers are the only ones willing to pay him a bit more to play fullback and he's already shown he doesn't want to go to the Tigers.
Have I seen him play a bad game at fullback? No I haven’t seen him play any game at fullback no one has so it’s all based on opinion but the kicker is you want the club to open the purse strings and pay him like he’s proven himself. That’s the whole issue I have with it.

The role of a fullback has changed greatly even since Patten played let alone when Silva and Potter played. JAC would have made a good fullback back then too but the position has evolved a lot since then and it’s basically a third half on the field now.

If the club can get JAC on a wing deal then I’m keen for it. I just don’t want another Bmoz and DWZ situation were we are forking out big money on a winger that is getting payed like a fullback.