News Bulldogs Dilemma: Which NSW gun to target?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no doubt but my point is he is very versatile.
Sure, but he is way too talented to just become a utility. He has to have a starting spot in our spine for years to come. And with Burton and Flanagan on the books long term, he has to be our fb!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. JAC
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

It's an easy decision really. We also need to keep some leaders in the team so we can't shred players like Hopoate (and even Jackson believe it or not). Unless Hopoate has a terrible season (been one our best best over the last 2 seasons, I don't care that our team has been awful, that shows character) we should really consider offering him a reduced deal to extend. We need to be careful with the balance there otherwise you'll end up like the Broncos, a team that looks like a deer in the headlights. Barrett has also come out an said this himself. JAC is also a leader... JAC is currently the better and more established player. There is a lot more risk with Crichton.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For me the question is:

1. Averillo
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
9. McIness

Or

1. JAC
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
9. JMK/Katoa

It's a no brainer for me
Absolutely Covens. You're on fire. I've agreed with everything you've said the last few days.

That first option is a premiership winning spine.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely Covens. You're on fire. I've agreed with everything you've said the last few days.

That first option is a premiership winning spine.
Haha thanks mate. I'm sure I'll return to Earth soon

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Please check the definition of fact. Addo Carr played all his junior football as fullback. Despite that, I can see he has the qualities to play fullback and play it well. Brad Fittler is quoted as saying this and that’s a fact.
If you want to DEStroy our salary cap again sure he is a fullback.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness, yes he tried his best but I don't see him as a first grader.
I agree, better coaching and off field support may have seen him improve, but I doubt that he'd improve to the required level.
He didn't show enough variation in play and was too slow across the ground to be a running threat.
If he bulked up he may make a passable lock, but it's a position we have adequately covered with Elliott, Jackson etc.
Doesn't exactly sound like a team player by saying he'd rather play reggies then move positions and some of his media has also left me qiuestioning his attitude.
I'd be moving him on asap.
I wish he had been tried at lock last season, it may be different in 2021, but in 2020 most of our forwards were what most TK described as plodders.
Napa Tolman and even Jackson had IMHO no more impact as running forwards than Lewis would have had.
Now Lewis has an attribute which our other Forwards didn't have ie. a long kicking game, which IMHO is much more important than most think, and by not having the responsibility of steering the team around at half he would have had the time to better place his kicks.
His weight is listed at 90 KG the same as Cam Murray, he looks light because he is tall which should allow him to put on a few extra kg's, his defence would be better suited playing in the middle, where in most situations he would be required to make his tackles head on.
I would like to have seen him given a go at look with much much better coaching, but, now with all the other back row forwards we have it might just be to late for him.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish he had been tried at lock last season, it may be different in 2021, but in 2020 most of our forwards were what most TK described as plodders.
Napa Tolman and even Jackson had IMHO no more impact as running forwards than Lewis would have had.
Now Lewis has an attribute which our other Forwards didn't have ie. a long kicking game, which IMHO is much more important than most think, and by not having the responsibility of steering the team around at half he would have had the time to better place his kicks.
His weight is listed at 90 KG the same as Cam Murray, he looks light because he is tall which should allow him to put on a few extra kg's, his defence would be better suited playing in the middle, where in most situations he would be required to make his tackles head on.
I would like to have seen him given a go at look with much much better coaching, but, now with all the other back row forwards we have it might just be to late for him.
If he's playing 13 in reggies I don't mind.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I hope they sign spencer leniu josh addo carr and stephen crichton but dont think it will happen
Personally prefer Spencer Leinu in for Napa.
Addo carr with remis gone and left over cap
Staggs for hoppa
B Smith or Clarke for jmk and Lewis.

With britt Crichton wakeham meaney Katoa etc off the books I’m sure we are able to make any minor balance work. Especially when someone like Leinu would be less than napa ffs.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Personally prefer Spencer Leinu in for Napa.
Addo carr with remis gone and left over cap
Staggs for hoppa
B Smith or Clarke for jmk and Lewis.

With britt Crichton wakeham meaney Katoa etc off the books I’m sure we are able to make any minor balance work. Especially when someone like Leinu would be less than napa ffs.
what money is nappa on?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me the question is:

1. Averillo
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
9. McIness

Or

1. JAC
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
9. JMK/Katoa

It's a no brainer for me
It's not necessarily a question of JAC OR McInnes (one or the other). How do you know we can't afford both ?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's not necessarily a question of JAC OR McInnes (one or the other). How do you know we can't afford both ?
We can in 22. 13 players off contract can bring in the development squad on minimum. Leaves alot of money left over.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sure we could afford both, I think it's a case of should we?

1. If everything goes well with Flanagan and Burton, they'll need upgrades.
2. We need to spend some money at hooker (2).
3. Will need to replace Napa. Hetherington, Ogden and Atoni is OK, feels a bit skinny though?
4. At some point we need some older heads in there, Hoppa is almost essential moving forward to keep some leadership in the group.

I wouldn't be prepared to pay JAC overs to get him here, especially to play fullback. Now if he's happy to get paid as a rookie fullback or elite winger (500k?) then fine - let's play it out, Definitely shouldn't be the priority though.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Madone Paulie, stop sniffing Adrianas panties, it's messing with your brain! JAC is only 25 and doesn't have the injury history of Bmoz. Also, that little chip for himself in origin was a beauty. He scores that try if Allen takes him out. His D and reads are solid too.
Aaaahhh Adriana. Your giving me some wonderful memories my friend. She had a **** for the ages

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Would love to see how Wakeham goes at hooker before everyone writes him off.
I think he could potentially become a great hooker ,needs more size muscle mass for the defensive work load of a hooker but would be explosively quick out of dummy half and bust em wide open up the middle after quick play the balls he's worth a shot next year anyway could develop nicely under our new coaches

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
McInnes genuinely loves the Dragons and the Dragons love him, he is their captain and they obviously want to keep him. I think B. Smith is more realistic and he's under contract (which says a lot), can't play preferred position tho. What we'd have to pay McInnes to lure him away from the Dragons will just be silly imo. I'd also like a more attacking hooker. With the recruitment we've done so far it looks like Barrett wants to be able to have an attacking threat in each position which I believe you need to today's game.