News Bulldogs Dilemma: Which NSW gun to target?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Please check the definition of fact. Addo Carr played all his junior football as fullback. Despite that, I can see he has the qualities to play fullback and play it well. Brad Fittler is quoted as saying this and that’s a fact.
We Never say never :grinning:

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Please check the definition of fact. Addo Carr played all his junior football as fullback. Despite that, I can see he has the qualities to play fullback and play it well. Brad Fittler is quoted as saying this and that’s a fact.
100% agree... exactly my view towards Cotric at centre. Yes he has played pretty much all of his FG games on the wing but he played all his junior footy as a centre and was unable to crack a spot there in FG given he was behind very quality centres who wouldn't make good wingers either (Crocker/Leilua).

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully the last train out of Sydney
I honestly believe that prince Lewis wore his heart on his sleeve,
He needed a real coach in his life to point him in the right direction,
Before his contract was extended he made it clear that he would rather play reserve grade than play in a different position !
I believe if he bulks up he could become a good lock.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Before his contract was extended he made it clear that he would rather play reserve grade than play in a different position !
Maybe, but what's the chance he becomes a better Lock than Elliott?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We already tried promoting a few young players (some junior rep players too) in Meaney, Cogger, Wakeham. Unless our recruiters are better than every other recruiter for the other 15 teams at spotting real talent it's pretty hard to strike gold. The best young talent is already going to the Roosters. I'm sick of seeing average or below average players play for us to tell you the truth. IF we start winning comps and we then need to upgrade some players worry about that THEN. Wait until we make some grand finals first.

In recent years we've been upgrading players while we progressively became worse each year. That was because we were so crap anyone who performed decent (just doing their job) looked like a star and we were afraid if we lost them we'd be even worse.

There will always be players coming off contract in future years (including underperforming players and players retiring). At the end of 2022 DWZ will be finished which would free up around 600K. Jackson the year after from memory at 700K. Look at the star players Souths and the Rabbits have on big money. Souths have Mitchell, Gagai, Walker, Reynolds, Murray, Cook and Arrow all on over 700K each. It came out this week that they offered David Fifita a huge contract also. We're not even paying 700K for Cotric. Our wingers are average, our forwards are average in attack. Where are we expecting the points to come from to actually win games ? (just Flanagan and Burton only ?). If players like JAC and Crichton can make the difference in us scoring 1 or 2 more tries a game then we most likely make the semies every year.

Elite players are always good trainers and thus good role models for their teammates. They give the team confidence. Other players come cheaper to play with them.

Hopa would have to be on 500-650K. He would virtually cover most of Crichton's contract. If we dump Napa and sign Lenui we would be about 350K in front. Hopa and Napa combined would be costing us around 1.25M a year. Are they good value ? They alone would cover 90% of the cost of JAC and Crichton.

Last edited:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In all seriousness, yes he tried his best but I don't see him as a first grader.
I agree, better coaching and off field support may have seen him improve, but I doubt that he'd improve to the required level.
He didn't show enough variation in play and was too slow across the ground to be a running threat.
If he bulked up he may make a passable lock, but it's a position we have adequately covered with Elliott, Jackson etc.
Doesn't exactly sound like a team player by saying he'd rather play reggies then move positions and some of his media has also left me questioning his attitude.
I'd be moving him on asap.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He is a spine player though mate. He clearly struggles defensively at centre, and he would be wasted on the wing.
no doubt but my point is he is very versatile.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Stimson will come good. We’re gonna have immense depth in our forwards this year. Nice and mobile
Let’s face it, if you are a back rower that knows how to run a good line there are happy days ahead with Burton on the left and Flanagan on the right!
Those boys will look like super stars - I bet we have at least one back rower in a SOA in 22

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s face it, if you are a back rower that knows how to run a good line there are happy days ahead with Burton on the left and Flanagan on the right!
Those boys will look like super stars - I bet we have at least one back rower in a SOA in 22
Keen for some State of Arigin tbh

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness, yes he tried his best but I don't see him as a first grader.
I agree, better coaching and off field support may have seen him improve, but I doubt that he'd improve to the required level.
He didn't show enough variation in play and was too slow across the ground to be a running threat.
If he bulked up he may make a passable lock, but it's a position we have adequately covered with Elliott, Jackson etc.
Doesn't exactly sound like a team player by saying he'd rather play reggies then move positions and some of his media has also left me questioning his attitude.
The best chance Lewis has to be a long term NRL player is to put on 5 kg and move to the back row, however it won’t be playing for us.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither player are going to ensure us long term success.
Someone has to be earning under 300k per year - in fact at leat 60% of the squad.
If your top 8 players are earning 50% of the cap then the other 22 get to share the other half!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have always said he isn't a half, but truly admire his attitude !