Bulldogs Dean Pay fined $25,000 for criticising referees. - Update Page 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What hope is there with this response from the refereeing boss.

The fact that it is assessing his brother makes it even worse.

A pass can float 5 metres forward, as long as it is backwards out of the hands it is a good pass. This is the opposite the ball has been knocked forward and traveled back.

Foran’s knock on from the kickoff went back! It was ruled a knock on. Which everyone is fine with. Because if the ball is dropped at all 99% of the time it is deemed a knock on. Right or wrong this is one of the most consistent rulings in the game. Making this call even worse.

The standard of refereeing across the board is the number one blight on the game at the moment.

It’s a hard one because without them we don’t have a game. They need help!

Smarter people than me need to find a solution but they need to do something.
What I can't understand is why was the refereeing better 35 years ago when I watch old games than now? Why has the standard dropped so badly with an extra referee on the field & one looking at the TV? What job does the touch judges actually have?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can live with the Mbye decision..but the knock on? No..it was a blatant knock on..even Jamayne Isaako thought it was..and it had a huge influence on the outcome of the game..as the Broncos got down the field..mind you with a penalty..and scored.. When the Dogs should’ve been attacking the Broncos line..woeful..and wrong decision..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apart from some of the decisions the worst part was us not getting a penalty till 60 minutes yet broncos getting 8 despite the broncos being offside all night,once again only 1 team being refereed

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just pay it and do it again If need be.they can' just expect coaches to keep their mouths shut when things like this happen.it will only allow it to get worse if nothing is said.
The NRL need the money because they spent all the TV money already.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they fine us, we should pay 5X the amount and tell the NRL to “hold onto the rest, for the future”

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
A lot of old timers i know have said that betting has ruined the game of Rugby League and several of them have stopped watching all together.
Yeah, my Dad is almost st that point... hardly bothers with league these days... he follows the swans now.... it’s sad that disingenuous people are ruining the game to line their pockets.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What I can't understand is why was the refereeing better 35 years ago when I watch old games than now? Why has the standard dropped so badly with an extra referee on the field & one looking at the TV? What job does the touch judges actually have?
The referees back then officiated to the letter of the law and were not afraid to blow a penalty every time. The NRL has made a rod for its own back with several things and a game is now not refereed to the law it is 'managed'

*Changing rules every other season or 'tweaking' said rules, anywhere from play the ball to ruck infringements ( the close enough is good enough on play the balls ; this has been adjusted this season with a lot of penalties being given when the foot does not contact the ball upon playing it ...which was always the rule back then.)
*The referees give 'opinions' relating to things not a definitive ruling
* Referees back then no matter whether you liked them or not actually respected the players and did not act as if they were holier than thou.That respect was returned.

As to the subject of touch judges, they are there to assist the official in the centre of the ground...The touch judges have various duties; being the referees’ third and fourth pairs of eyes on forward passes, offside calls, strips, knock-ons, general plays near the sideline, any time the ball or the player goes into touch, and to let the ref’s know if there has been a conversion from a penalty or after a try has been scored. Shame they can't even seem to do that these days. How many forward passes do they miss and how badly do they help out with offside situations in marking the ten.
This shows how they should operate.......
http://www.tccr.com.au/_uploads/ppage/files/Touch Judge Positioning.pdf

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 greatest fuckwit referees to grace the game. Even their old man probably wishes they were just a sperm

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just do a file on this refs decisions over the years and tell the NRL this bloke has been a prick, just serve the logic, you can only ask.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Because they have over complicated it.
Go back to 1 ref and bring back the old shepard rule.
Also lets look at the "not a knock on" on Thursday.
35 years ago if a player went to catch a pass or a kick and say it went through his hands and hit his chest it would be called a knock on every time.
There was much less ambiguity in how the rules refereed back in the day.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The referees back then officiated to the letter of the law and were not afraid to blow a penalty every time. The NRL has made a rod for its own back with several things and a game is now not refereed to the law it is 'managed'

*Changing rules every other season or 'tweaking' said rules, anywhere from play the ball to ruck infringements ( the close enough is good enough on play the balls ; this has been adjusted this season with a lot of penalties being given when the foot does not contact the ball upon playing it ...which was always the rule back then.)
*The referees give 'opinions' relating to things not a definitive ruling
* Referees back then no matter whether you liked them or not actually respected the players and did not act as if they were holier than thou.That respect was returned.

As to the subject of touch judges, they are there to assist the official in the centre of the ground...The touch judges have various duties; being the referees’ third and fourth pairs of eyes on forward passes, offside calls, strips, knock-ons, general plays near the sideline, any time the ball or the player goes into touch, and to let the ref’s know if there has been a conversion from a penalty or after a try has been scored. Shame they can't even seem to do that these days. How many forward passes do they miss and how badly do they help out with offside situations in marking the ten.
This shows how they should operate.......
http://www.tccr.com.au/_uploads/ppage/files/Touch Judge Positioning.pdf
I reckon the rot started with Bill Harrigan. The rugby league "elite" at that time thought he was God's gift to the game (so did he) because he "let the game flow" & didn't blow a lot of penalties. The problem was, the players & coaches caught on & took advantage of the situation & now we have the crappy game we now have. Now they are blowing the pea out of the whistle to change it back! Another problem is Melbourne Storm came along during this period & destroyed the game & what was worse, were allowed to get away with it for so long.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
After just watching our presser I won’t bag pay while he is the coach,he’s making mistakes yes but he genuinely wants his players and the club to succeed and the balls to say so . He’s got a shit job in front of him and weather we like it or not it’s time for supporters to do exactly that and support our coach and players imo

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
After just watching our presser I won’t bag pay while he is the coach,he’s making mistakes yes but he genuinely wants his players and the club to succeed and the balls to say so . He’s got a shit job in front of him and weather we like it or not it’s time for supporters to do exactly that and support our coach and players imo
Well said - he seems to have invested a lot of emotion into the team - hopefully he knew what he was getting himself into when he signed up. The refereeing was and has been influential in determining the result of games but I hope he doesn't let players off the hook for poor handling, decision making and lazy defence.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Fuck the NRL is a bad joke.

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bout time someone at the bulldogs came out and told it like it is
Should have been done on Easter Friday years ago but has taken until now ffs
The NRL is corrupt as all fuk and it needs to b highlighted before the game we all love is gone

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon the rot started with Bill Harrigan. The rugby league "elite" at that time thought he was God's gift to the game (so did he) because he "let the game flow" & didn't blow a lot of penalties. The problem was, the players & coaches caught on & took advantage of the situation & now we have the crappy game we now have. Now they are blowing the pea out of the whistle to change it back! Another problem is Melbourne Storm came along during this period & destroyed the game & what was worse, were allowed to get away with it for so long.
You are absolutely spot on. Harrigan gave the encouragement to use 'interpretation' when enforcing the rules , hence the problems that occurred over the years which they are desperately trying to rectify now. If something ain't broken you don't try and fix it, pure and simple . The tactics that Melbourne brought to the game were an unfortunate off shoot of this interpretation as their coach pushed the envelope with scummy wrestling moves and the ability to breach the rules at every possible time because you would not get pulled up for EVERY offside or EVERY laying over the tackled player because it slowed the game down.

Status
Not open for further replies.