Bulldogs Dean Pay fined $25,000 for criticising referees. - Update Page 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lol @ anyone thinking the club or Pay would take it further. He has come out and submitted to the NRL "I'll be careful with what I say"
I wonder if the board/club had a word in his ear.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eef852eebf51d73191fc2c0df997b27f

CANTERBURY coach Dean Pay admits he needs to be more selective with what he says following NRL matches after being whacked with a $25,000 fine for attacking NRL referees.

The club has until Monday to decide whether to appeal the breach notice.

“From where I stand, I just need to be a little bit more selective with what I say after press conferences. There’s a lot of emotion after a game but what it is is what it is,” Pay said on Thursday.

Asked whether he thought the price was too steep, he said: “What it is, is what it is. That’s the NRL’s decision. From there we’ll just move forward.”

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Did he meet the NRL today?

If so and he came out with that statement then it is as I predicted.

There's no way the NRL will back down but if he did confront them privately then that is enough to have ripple effects.

Ie there was always going to be a public stance by the NRL but that doesn't mean it's the same as what went on behind closed doors

Reactions: DT

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
And that is why i am a Bulldog. The Referees hate us. The NRL hates us. The media hates us. Every other team hates us because we are the bulldogs. NrL fans hate us because we are from canterbury-bankstown. The $25,000 fine just accentuates it. Disgusting.
More than hate us; they want us out of the NRL. Too many Sydney teams; but they fear another Bunnies backlash if they just kick us out; so next tactic is to force us into a slow death.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Did he meet the NRL today?

If so and he came out with that statement then it is as I predicted.

There's no way the NRL will back down but if he did confront them privately then that is enough to have ripple effects.

Ie there was always going to be a public stance by the NRL but that doesn't mean it's the same as what went on behind closed doors
He was meant to meet with them yesterday... apparently... if it was ever actually happening.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
More than hate us; they want us out of the NRL. Too many Sydney teams; but they fear another Bunnies backlash if they just kick us out; so next tactic is to force us into a slow death.
I think that's a bit over the top the club has done more damage to themselves then the NRL has in the last few years.

We used to thrive on this type of thing.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the board/club had a word in his ear.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eef852eebf51d73191fc2c0df997b27f

CANTERBURY coach Dean Pay admits he needs to be more selective with what he says following NRL matches after being whacked with a $25,000 fine for attacking NRL referees.

The club has until Monday to decide whether to appeal the breach notice.

“From where I stand, I just need to be a little bit more selective with what I say after press conferences. There’s a lot of emotion after a game but what it is is what it is,” Pay said on Thursday.

Asked whether he thought the price was too steep, he said: “What it is, is what it is. That’s the NRL’s decision. From there we’ll just move forward.”
I think what he means is "I'm still going to call them on their bullshit just have to word it differently so not to get fined" i don't think he will turn in to a yes man for the NRL.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think what he means is "I'm still going to call them on their bullshit just have to word it differently so not to get fined" i don't think he will turn in to a yes man for the NRL.
Completely agree, if he changed a few words he would have got away without a fine and still got his point across.

He is probably trying to downplay it as well as he would have been telling the players to move on from it and hes still talking about in the media.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Batter UP!

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/10...dean-pay-addresses-nrl-fine-referee-comments/

Canterbury will bid to have Dean Pay's $25,000 fine for his controversial comments about the referees reduced by the NRL as the rookie coach accepts he must tread with more caution in his post-match press conferences.

The Bulldogs have made a written submission to the governing body and will push for Pay's punishment to come down, on the grounds that his comments were a first-time offence and he has expressed remorse over his post-match blow up after the controversial 22-20 round nine loss to Brisbane.

Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill has confirmed he and head of football Andrew Farrah met with the NRL's top brass on Wednesday to discuss the severity and nature of the breach notice handed down on Monday.

"Andrew Farah and I requested a meeting with Todd Greenberg and Nick Weeks, which we were grateful for them to afford us time yesterday," Hill told NRL.com. "We discussed the proposed breach and put the club's thoughts to them, that's now been followed up by a written submission and now it's up to the NRL to advise us of their final decision."

Speaking for the first time since being whacked with the five-figure fine, Pay conceded he needed to be more selective with his comments given the impact criticism can have on refereeing ranks.

"I think honesty needs to be a part of the game, there's no doubt about that," Pay told reporters on Thursday. "But from where I stand I just need to be a little bit more selective with what I say at press conferences. There's a lot of emotion after a game. It doesn't help (the officials), I really understand that. We need as many people in the game as possible. I understand that and that's the downfall of it all so I need to be a little bit more selective with what I say."

The Bulldogs coach would not be drawn on the size of the $25,000 fine, which goes well above the $10,000 that was considered the norm for comments that questioned the officials' integrity until last season.

Pay is in contact with referees boss Bernard Sutton most every week, with the pair talking through the decisions Pay labelled "ridiculous" and "disgraceful" after the tense defeat to the Broncos. Of particular concern to the governing body was Pay's claim that "it's like we're not supposed to win". The Bulldogs are arguing that Pay was not referencing the referees with the above comment, but was instead referring to the club's run of luck across several tight losses this season.

Pay admitted frustration at his team's 2-7 start, which leaves them and fellow cellar dwellers Parramatta battling to avoid finishing the weekend in last place, had started to creep into his squad.

With hooker Michael Lichaa remaining in reserve grade this week, Pay will field the same playmaking spine that produced a more fluid attacking effort against Brisbane.

Questioned on the form of star signing Kieran Foran, who has battled form and fitness concerns as he carries a niggling knee injury, Pay called on his teammates to ease the load carried by the No.7. "We're always looking for other players to step up and take some pressure off him," Pay said. "It's not just one player, it's across the board. We all need to step up in that area. We've had some new players come into the squad and our spine has had a couple of different changes during the season. We're looking for a little bit more consistency in what they're doing and I suppose we're no different from any club."

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So what happened to the fine and the video?

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This just got swept under the rug did it?

No word on the final fine. No word on the video.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ffom the above link (bold paragraph in middle added by me):

Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay to tackle NRL over $25,000 fine for referee criticism, reports The Mole
By The Mole

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay is going to league headquarters today set to take the referees and the NRL head on.

Pay is armed with a video of a series of incidents from last weekend’s highly controversial loss to the Broncos.

Pay plans to appeal against his $25,000 fine for criticising the referees after his team lost to a contentious penalty close to full-time.

The Bulldogs coach has done his homework, finding video evidence of 14 separate incidents in which his team was penalised for incident while the Broncos were not.

He is asking for a ‘please explain’ from referees boss Bernard Sutton and is also hoping the fine will be reduced or even scrubbed.

An angry Pay unloaded on the referees after the last-gasp loss on Thursday night.

"I got a group of blokes who busted their arse and to be decided like that, it's ridiculous," Pay said in the post-match press conference.

"I will follow it up with them [the NRL] and they will say, 'We got it wrong', and they will just move on — it doesn't help us.

"We are trying to win a game of footy here and get our season going forward and it's decided like that.

"It's like we are not supposed to win."
So the Mole, FOS once again.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t quote me in it I remember him getting interviewed last week by someone on nine and I think he got no fine at all.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS:
Bulldogs fined $15,000 with a further $10,000 suspended for comments made by coach Dean Pay about referees.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/05/17/dean-pay-breach-notice-update/
The NRL today finalised the Breach Notice against the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs for comments about match officials following their match against the Brisbane Broncos.

The club will be fined $15,000 with a further $10,000 suspended for comments made by coach Dean Pay.

The suspended portion of the fine will be imposed if there is a repeat of the criticism against match officials.

The NRL suspended part of the penalty based on the fact that Pay is in his first season as a head coach in the NRL and has no prior breaches. He has also acknowledged publicly that he needs to moderate his language when commenting about match officials.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/05/17/dean-pay-breach-notice-update/
The NRL today finalised the Breach Notice against the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs for comments about match officials following their match against the Brisbane Broncos.

The club will be fined $15,000 with a further $10,000 suspended for comments made by coach Dean Pay.

The suspended portion of the fine will be imposed if there is a repeat of the criticism against match officials.

The NRL suspended part of the penalty based on the fact that Pay is in his first season as a head coach in the NRL and has no prior breaches. He has also acknowledged publicly that he needs to moderate his language when commenting about match officials.
So Pay can rip into them again and its only going to cost $10 000!

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So Pay can rip into them again and its only going to cost $10 000!
I think it means the suspended 10k will be activated and added to the next fine.

Does the suspended portion have an expiry date? Surely can't be suspended indefinitely.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
15k well spent. I think Pay got his message across and highlighted some suspicious conduct by refs.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps he could use the change to fling 30 pieces of silver at that traitorous coward, Sutton!

Status
Not open for further replies.