Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bulldogs deal left CHN with agonising decision

Alicia Newton
Tue 11 Sep 2018, 01:17 PM

Departing Penrith back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera has opened up on his decision to step out of his comfort zone and join Canterbury on a four-year deal in 2019.

The 23-year-old shocked teammates and Penrith General Manager Phil Gould when he requested a release from the final year of his contract to link with the Belmore outfit next year.

Harawira-Naera was courted by Cronulla and the Wests Tigers last season, but remained loyal to the Panthers and extended his deal until the end of 2019.

He admitted the form of Viliame Kikau had played a part in the decision to leave the club and area, which includes the difficult family decision to move further away from his young son and former partner next year.

"I've been here for five years so I am attached to the place," Harawira-Naera said.

"The process happened quickly, I would've rather it at the end of the season to have time to think about it.

"But moving forward I knew that they locked in Viliame and Isaah Yeo in the back-row. I was coming off the bench and didn't mind the role but having an opportunity like that pop up, it's hard to turn down.

"I got a lot of advice from people at the club – Ciro (coach Cameron Ciraldo), (Welfare and Education Manager) Shane Elford and Gus (Gould) – he was surprised, a lot of people were. He (Gould) gave me good advice and he's been around for ages."

It's understood the deal from the Bulldogs was too good an offer to turn down and enables Harawira-Naera an opportunity to lock down a permanent starting role in the forward pack.

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson has been a key figure on the right edge but could be moved closer to the middle next season, while the emergence of goal-kicking forward Rhyse Martin and Raymond Faitala-Mariner will ensure competition for spots.

"I'm probably due for a change," Harawira-Naera said.

"Five years is a long time at one club, probably a little bit of complacency has crept in.

"I'm not saying it has completely happened, but it can, just rolling into work. I think it's a good change in a way and I'll be taking on a leadership role over there (Bulldogs) which is different for me."

Finishing his career at Penrith may still be a possibility for the back-rower, but for now he's looking at the prospect of a career-high preliminary finals clash should the Panthers topple Cronulla.

Harawira-Naera admitted the thought that last week's win over the Warriors could've been his last game at the club took its toll.

"There's a lot of mental going on in my head, even Ciro pulled me aside and said 'just play well, you don't want this to be your last game for the club'," he said.

"I guess he'll keep that theme for as long as we do go on. This is a massive week for us, it doesn't matter how they turn up, it's how we turn up.

"I don't know what it is but in the last three to five years Cronulla have been our bogey team. Every time we play them, we haven't got a win against them in a long time.

"It's a good time to do it and break the hoodoo."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/11/bulldogs-deal-left-corey-harawira-naera-with-agonising-decision/

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid can’t even lock down a starting spot at his club and Pay is giving him leadership roles?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Alicia Newton

Departing Penrith back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera has opened up on his decision to step out of his comfort zone and join Canterbury on a four-year deal in 2019.

The 23-year-old shocked teammates and Penrith General Manager Phil Gould when he requested a release from the final year of his contract to link with the Belmore outfit next year.

Harawira-Naera was courted by Cronulla and the Wests Tigers last season, but remained loyal to the Panthers and extended his deal until the end of 2019.

He admitted the form of Viliame Kikau had played a part in the decision to leave the club and area, which includes the difficult family decision to move further away from his young son and former partner next year.

"I've been here for five years so I am attached to the place," Harawira-Naera said.

"The process happened quickly, I would've rather it at the end of the season to have time to think about it.

"But moving forward I knew that they locked in Viliame and Isaah Yeo in the back-row. I was coming off the bench and didn't mind the role but having an opportunity like that pop up, it's hard to turn down.

"I got a lot of advice from people at the club – Ciro (coach Cameron Ciraldo), (Welfare and Education Manager) Shane Elford and Gus (Gould) – he was surprised, a lot of people were. He (Gould) gave me good advice and he's been around for ages."

It's understood the deal from the Bulldogs was too good an offer to turn down and enables Harawira-Naera an opportunity to lock down a permanent starting role in the forward pack.

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson has been a key figure on the right edge but could be moved closer to the middle next season, while the emergence of goal-kicking forward Rhyse Martin and Raymond Faitala-Mariner will ensure competition for spots.

"Five years is a long time at one club, probably a little bit of complacency has crept in.

"I'm not saying it has completely happened, but it can, just rolling into work. I think it's a good change in a way and I'll be taking on a leadership role over there (Bulldogs) which is different for me."

Finishing his career at Penrith may still be a possibility for the back-rower, but for now he's looking at the prospect of a career-high preliminary finals clash should the Panthers topple Cronulla.

Harawira-Naera admitted the thought that last week's win over the Warriors could've been his last game at the club took its toll.

"There's a lot of mental going on in my head, even Ciro pulled me aside and said 'just play well, you don't want this to be your last game for the club'," he said.

"I guess he'll keep that theme for as long as we do go on. This is a massive week for us, it doesn't matter how they turn up, it's how we turn up.

"I don't know what it is but in the last three to five years Cronulla have been our bogey team. Every time we play them, we haven't got a win against them in a long time.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/11/bulldogs-deal-left-corey-harawira-naera-with-agonising-decision/

See Marley, I told you Jacko is better suited in the middle as a no.13...:tonguewink:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His choice of words tells me of a kid who is confused about coming here.
Hasn't left the panthers yet he's talking about finishing his career there. Would rather he negotiated a new deal in the off season.
Extended his contract at panthers last year out of loyalty and love for the place and then asked for a release as 5 years is a long time in one place.
Go figure!!
I'm agonizing what he means.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His choice of words tells me of a kid who is confused about coming here.
Hasn't left the panthers yet he's talking about finishing his career there. Would rather he negotiated a new deal in the off season.
Extended his contract at panthers last year out of loyalty and love for the place and then asked for a release as 5 years is a long time in one place.
Go figure!!
I'm agonizing what he means.
They all say that PC crap.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Id say chn will have elliotts starting spot i think elliott will be great off the bench plenty of energy
I thought CHN would be in the centres?

Plus I think RFM would be better off the bench.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Alicia Newton

Hopefully any doubts in his mind vanishes when he realizes the superior professionalism difference at the bulldogs ...Or maybe was :tongueclosed:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought CHN would be in the centres?

Plus I think RFM would be better off the bench.
CHN - Most likely take Jackos spot next to Foran

RFM and Elliot crazy X factors off the bench with Sue or Ogden or RT to accompany.

JMK will hold his utility spot for now depending on any more signings..

that's what I reckon....

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CHN - Most likely take Jackos spot next to Foran

RFM and Elliot crazy X factors off the bench with Sue or Ogden or RT to accompany.

JMK will hold his utility spot for now depending on any more signings..

that's what I reckon....
I will be very surprised to see JMK in the 17 next year....even Fualalo might not be there.

If CHN has been promised 2nd row, I think he will take Elliott's spot and put Jacko at lock.
Depending what Pay is thinking and if he does want some sort of utility.
If not, might be content with 4 forwards....

14) Elliott
15) RFM
16) Ogden / Fualalo
17) Sue

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I will be very surprised to see JMK in the 17 next year....even Fualalo might not be there.

If CHN has been promised 2nd row, I think he will take Elliott's spot and put Jacko at lock.
Depending what Pay is thinking and if he does want some sort of utility.
If not, might be content with 4 forwards....

14) Elliott
15) RFM
16) Ogden / Fualalo
17) Sue
Four forwards on the bench... Reminds me to much of Des days.

You need a utility on the bench, JMK fits in well but then again it all depends on what happens with the hooking role for next yr.

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Four forwards on the bench... Reminds me to much of Des days.

You need a utility on the bench, JMK fits in well but then again it all depends on what happens with the hooking role for next yr.
I think best utility coming of the bench was Kerrod Holland.
He was making good meters out of dummy half and also covers backline.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think best utility coming of the bench was Kerrod Holland.
He was making good meters out of dummy half and also covers backline.
He couldn't defend in the middle though... JMK can cover the hole and still provide some sort of attack. U just need one of them in a side.

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He couldn't defend in the middle though... JMK can cover the hole and still provide some sort of attack. U just need one of them in a side.
Yeah right defence is K.Holland's problem a bit and hopefully he fixes it or else he's a good player..
Agreed

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who's the no name? CHN?
For the money we had to spend, he is more than a "no name".
CHN is the acronym for China not for a league player!! With all the spare cash we have from the garage sale we should be buying top shelf brands not taking a chance on someone else's unwanted stuff. That's what Des did , it's called gambling

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds as though he is having some doubts or is unsure about Coming here in a way, hope I’m reading it wrong because we don’t want players that don’t fully commit an want to make a real go of it in our great blue an white or it’s just a failure before it begins.

I guess we will see.!!