Bulldogs could switch Brett Morris to No.1 with Will Hopoate to miss two finals matches on Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
PRESSURE is mounting on Des Hasler to switch Brett Morris to No.1, with William Hopoate to miss as many as two finals matches because of his religiously motivated refusal to play on Sundays.

With the Bulldogs cementing their place in the top four with a golden point get-out-of-jail win against the Sea Eagles on Thursday night, Canterbury are facing the prospect of playing without their first choice fullback in both a semi final and the grand final.

Morris this week declared he would be ready to step up and cover for Hopoate at No.1 — even if he was thrown in cold for the biggest match of the year.

“I’m not too worried if I get moved straight in for a big game,’’ Morris said.

“I played pretty much the whole season there last year so it is not something that worries me too much. We also have Sam Perett there that can slot in. If we were to play a Sunday game and that was to happen then there are options there and whoever Des picks will be more than comfortable by the time the game comes around.

“Even if it is a grand final I will be happy to do what is best for the team.’’

The Bulldogs could play a Sunday match in the first week of the finals before a series of Friday and Saturday night games will allow devout Mormon Hopoate to play.

But the season’s biggest game is played on a Sunday, leaving Morris facing a pressure-cooker shift to the back unless Hasler makes a positional switch before the finals.

Hopoate has played State of Origin football for NSW at both centre and on the wing.

“If that was the case then so be it,’’ Morris said. “I am not sure what Hoppa would do if we did make the grand final.

“I would kind of expect him to play. I am pretty sure he played a grand final on a Sunday earlier in his career. But that is up to him and as a team we will all support his decision no matter what it is. We will just have to get on with it.’’

Morris said he is happy to play on the wing despite the prospect of being given more attacking opportunities at the back.

“I don’t really have a preference about position to be honest,’’ Morris said.

“I have never really been too worried about where I play. I have played a lot in both positions so for me it is really just about what is the best fit for the team. That is something that is up to the coaching staff and I will leave that decision to them.’’

Morris said he was not put on the wing to allow him to ease back into the NRL following a six month injury..

“I don’t think it was about easing me back in,’’ Morris said.

“I think Hoppa was just playing really good footy so it was hard to move him. I spouse with the training load it was a bit better coming back on the wing because there is less running to do at training. That helped me a bit but they are all decisions made by the coaching stuff and as I said it is out of my hands. I will play where ever.’’

Personally, I would insist hoppa make a decision on whether he'll play Sunday finals, now.
If he decides "no" move bmoz to fb now.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally, I would insist hoppa make a decision on whether he'll play Sunday finals, now.
If he decides "no" move bmoz to fb now
Even if he has already made his decision we probably won't find out until GF day (if we do make it) Des loves these sort of
situations and will keep the opposition guessing until an hour before kickoff.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck off hoppa you peice of shit ****

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rubbish article as everyone associated with the team has said he will play in the GF if we make it... secondly teams 5-8 play knockout on Finals Weel 1 on Sunday..

we will finish in top 4 after we smash the cows at Belmore

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Swap them now regardless if Hoppa is playing Sunday's or not.....Hoppa has been pretty good at the back but I just want Bmoz touching the ball and getting involved as much as he can.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Hoppa has been shit anyway the last month funnily enough since Morris returned. Morris has his confidence back he was looking for the ball against manly. The time is now, move him to fullback. Make it happen Des.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Go fuck you self hoppa. So during the finals it will be:

1. Borris( good thing, wanted him at the back )
2. Tyrone
3. J moz
4. Rona
5. Perret

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
if i was des i will be playing holland into the wing , bmoz to fullback and hoppa out as soon as the finals start.

no point disrupting the team every second game during finals.

hoppa can sit out after round 26, it is quiet simple.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With our current style of play it actually makes sense to play Morris at fullback, at least in attack. We have no set plays or structure so giving him the ball and hoping for the best is actually a good option. Look what he did this week

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoppa hasn't been the same since round 13 (the game after he came back from his time off).

From round 14 onwards I think he hasn't run for 200m a game and has only scored 2 tries (he had something like 6 tries or so from round 1-13).

Also his defence has been suspect. Especially his last line of defence (players run around him). And he is suspect when he jumps to collect bombs. Only seems to catch them when his feet are planted.

Hopefully we do find someone with speed at fullback for next season. Hoppa has been solid (like perrett was in 2014) but he isn't the xfactor that can break games open with speed and agility.

Hoppa at centre will be better. Tommy turbo has been running close to or over 10m per carry. Compared to hoppa who gets 7-8m per carry. Not up to first grade standard unfortunately.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With our current style of play it actually makes sense to play Morris at fullback, at least in attack. We have no set plays or structure so giving him the ball and hoping for the best is actually a good option. Look what he did this week
He actually looked dangerous running across the field with the ball. He has enough speed to beat his man. Something not too many of our boys can do.

Also every time graham throws an inside ball to hoppa you know he doesn't have the speed to break the like. Even if Morris isn't the full time fullback we need him there for this place. Only Mbye or Morris can capitalise on any space created by that play.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought the sunday bullschitt didn't apply to finals, well atleast that's how it was spun earlier in the year.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm in agreeance with most on here. I want bmoz back to FB.
I mean, that's what he was brought here for. He's returned to his best after his injury. And the way he returns the ball, and the way he breaks tackles, makes him a much more dangerous proposition for opponents.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Also every time graham throws an inside ball to hoppa you know he doesn't have the speed to break the like.
Even if the defence reads it, morris is a chance to break the line with power.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So where does it quote hoppa or des pr any bulldog saying he isnt playing a Sunday final game??? Just media bs at this point.... everyone calm down

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he doesn't play a finals match because It was on Sunday and we lose, I wonder if people will still defend Des on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.