Bulldogs could play two NRL games at Belmore in 2016 despite being ‘expensive'

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...pensive-exercise/story-fngr8hxh-1227477341717

THE Bulldogs could play two NRL games at Belmore Sports Ground next year despite it being an “expensive exercise” to play at the club’s spiritual home.

The Canterbury-Bankstown club played its first games at Belmore Sports Ground this year since 1998.

More than 19,000 watched the Bulldogs on a Sunday afternoon against Cronulla, while almost 17,000 watched the Monday night win against Melbourne.

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle said the club would consider one or two games at Belmore Sports Ground next season.

However, despite a boost for fans and community, staging NRL games exclusively at suburban grounds remains, for the most part, financially untenable.

Ms Castle said taking games back to Belmore cost the club thousands.

“It’s a good experience, but it’s not a world-class stadium,” she said.

The game against the Sharks, marking the club’s 80th anniversary, proved to be “very successful”, Ms Castle said.

“It’s a great experience for our community to share those memories” of the ground, she said, adding crowd behaviour had been “good”.

In monetary terms, it had been “financially beneficial” for the club.

Ms Castle said it had also been “financially beneficial for shopkeepers” with local businesses boosted by greater patronage.

Despite this, it remains expensive to host a game, with costs incurred for security, Wi-Fi, fencing and parking facilities.

That almost 17,000 supporters turned out on a Monday night for the Storm game is perhaps indicative of the growing appetite for NRL games played at suburban grounds.

The matches at Belmore this season each drew larger crowds than five of the eight games the Bulldogs have played at ANZ Stadium.

FAST FACTS:

■ The Bulldogs match against Cronulla Sharks last month attracted a crowd of 19,005

■ Costs included security, Wi-Fi and parking facilities

■ The club will consider one or two matches at Belmore Sports Ground in 2016 after returning to their training base this year for the first time since 1998

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Ms Castle said taking games back to Belmore cost the club thousands.

In monetary terms, it had been “financially beneficial” for the club.
So we made a profit just not as big of a profit as we do at an ANZ game. I wonder what the difference is.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn those outrageous wifi costs....
and parking costs lol. I am picturing the club shelling out money to nearby residents to use their driveways as parking.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know of a lot of people that only became members in order to gain access to the two Belmore games. If it hadn't been for that they would not of signed up.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ps. I hate anz stadium and it will never feel like home.

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the club made a small loss and a small profit for the games at Belmore.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Rather belmore than ANZ to be honest.
Clearly fans prefer our real home ground. But the bulldogs is a business and as such is driven by profit.

I know ANZ guarantee X amount per game played there (pretty sure it is six figures). I am guessing from this article that ANZ cover a tonne of "fees" on top of this guaranteed payment amount. So you play at belmore and you lose that fat bonus plus you have more costs that you have to cover yourself.

I am just curious about the numbers, but I guess that will never be public knowledge.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
League is a TV game these days anyway.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
cost the club thousands? did they count the money they made from it yet? aka 19,000 for the cronulla game instead of 12,000 last year

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are people questioning the cost of Wifi? I can just imagine the outrage from the same people if they went and weren't able to connect to social media. It wasn't long ago that footy games rendered your mobile useless for the duration of the game.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clearly fans prefer our real home ground. But the bulldogs is a business and as such is driven by profit.

I know ANZ guarantee X amount per game played there (pretty sure it is six figures). I am guessing from this article that ANZ cover a tonne of "fees" on top of this guaranteed payment amount. So you play at belmore and you lose that fat bonus plus you have more costs that you have to cover yourself.

I am just curious about the numbers, but I guess that will never be public knowledge.
But the capacity crowd at belmore pretty much equals an empty ANZ stadium. ANZ offers less atmosphere compared to belmore.

Bashman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They may need to embrace these smaller stadiums because when the new TV rights come in and every game is live, ANZ may not be an option, especially for games against the Storm, Raiders, Cowboys etc.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
But the capacity crowd at belmore pretty much equals an empty ANZ stadium. ANZ offers less atmosphere compared to belmore.
You are missing the point. With anz covering costs and providing a six figure guarantee for every game played there the crowd number is irrelevant.

By the sounds of things a full house at Belmore makes us a tonne less money than a 10k Crowd at anz.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You are missing the point. With anz covering costs and providing a six figure guarantee for every game played there the crowd number is irrelevant.

By the sounds of things a full house at Belmore makes us a tonne less money than a 10k Crowd at anz.
This, we get paid good money to play games at anz, wether 1 person turns up or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.